• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Handling Gloves

wfnugent

I am looking for a retail source for the plain plastic baggie gloves for my wife - the ones used in fast food restaurants. (That sounds far more sinister than it is - it is for a children's halloween project.) Anyone know where I can find them in Bergen County?

Many thanks,

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

I am looking for a retail source for the plain plastic baggie gloves for my wife - the ones used in fast food restaurants.  (That sounds far more sinister than it is - it is for a children's halloween project.)  Anyone know where I can find them in Bergen County?

Many thanks,

Bill

There is a restaruant supply store on State Street in Hackensack. I would imagine that they would have them. Call ahead. I'm sure the ph# can be found in the phone book.

Bill--

If you find them, please let us know where! I bet it's been a year since I posted about them, and haven't had any luck (including at Chef Central). Haven't been to the place on State Street, though---that might be the answer.

Fwiw, I'm NOT planning a kid's project; I actually use them on occasion when I'm mixing stuff and just don't want to kill my manicure. :raz: Worst case scenario is to use the foldover plastic sandwich bags, but it depends on the project, I guess!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Believe it or not it's SIMPLER than it sounds... get the plain plastic gloves found in any CVS. (not the powder coated ones!) Voila.... you're done! Also places like harmon's has it too because of women using hair dye. :biggrin:

LOL when our dog clean up guy doesn't come in december/january :wacko: hubby has to do the "duty" :blink: of "In the line of dooty" - Barry K. (and if you need him folks he's great :wub: and well worth it (973)8902409 I put his info because I'm sure to get asked!)

But they are the same as "surgical" type gloves used to applying medicine or hair dye and stuff only a bit thicker but they are not the clear types.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Aren't these vinyl, though? I've been looking for plastic...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Aren't these vinyl, though?  I've been looking for plastic...

Plastic is better for this project: SPOOKY Hands!

Curlz - we'll call the distributors on Monday. They probably come in wholesale counts of a bazillion. If we have extra, you are welcome to them

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

I found these on the Dick Blick website http://www.dickblick.com/zz049/82/

Box of 100 for 3.19. If you don't want to order online try AC Moore or Michael's (or whatever craft/art stores are in your area).

Have fun with your project.

This place has them 1.49 for 100:

http://www.wdrake.com/(lsnmyg45ekobyd55xhy...&scid=15050001I

Edited by lcdm (log)

There is a fabulous plastic bag store in Rochelle Park that also handles Gloves; It is in the little shopping center just 1 block before the ShopRite on Passaic Street. The address is 200 West Passaic Street, Rochelle Park. They sell in bulk, so the prices can't be beat.

P.S. I just love the places that make the sandwiches with the gloves, and then collect the money with the same gloves on!! (Paper money is just about the filthiest material going!!) I'm sure you won't be doing that!! :biggrin:

There is a fabulous plastic bag store in Rochelle Park that also handles Gloves; It is in the little shopping center just 1 block before the ShopRite on Passaic Street.  The address is 200 West Passaic Street, Rochelle Park.  They sell in bulk, so the prices can't be beat. 

P.S. I just love the places that make the sandwiches with the gloves, and then collect the money with the same gloves on!!  (Paper money is just about the filthiest material going!!)  I'm sure you won't be doing that!!  :biggrin:

The store is called the "Plastic Bag Outlet Store." There is an outlet store for everything. My bride reports that the gloves came in a 100 count box for "next to nothing." She is and the children in my daughter's third grade class are enternally grateful.

I love you guys.