• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

craftsteak In Vegas

The following little card was dispensed at Craft:

"the craft family and Tom Colicchio are pleased to announce the July 2002 opening of craftsteak MGM Grand, Las Vegas . . .

raw bar and charcuterie

grilled, roasted and braised meats

fish, shellfish and poultry

distinctive sides and vegetables . . . ."

Tel: 702-891-1111 (noted to serve dinner 7 days a week)

• 1 year later...

I've eaten there three times now, most recently three days ago.

Right now it's my favorite restaurant in Vegas (it's in the MGM Grand), although it's not as good as the New York original.

For those who don't know the original, Craftsteak serves single-note food. You order "salsify" and that's what you get. As such, it's much better to go with a small group than alone. Everything is served family style, and you need a critical mass to get enough different things to taste.

There were five most recently, and I did the ordering.

Appetizers: "Mixed lettuces," "artichokes," "beets," "roasted red peppers," and "veal sweetbreads." Everything was delicious. The lettuce came with a pretty vinaigrette, and the artichokes with an herbed cream sauce. The beets were three different: red, pink, and yellow--all fabulous. The sweetbreads was the only warm appetizer, and it might have been the best sweetbreads I have ever eaten.

That's what Craftsteak is all about: the single perfect thing.

I ordered five mains. The grilled grass-fed New York strip was perfectly prepared, as was the Kobe skirt steak. The roasted "pork loin" was the only clunker; it was made with a honey-fruit-like sauce that detracted from the meat. The braised "beef shortribs" is the single dish that I order every time; it's the best thing on the menu--perfect shortribs.

Side dishes: The "roasted asparagus" was great, as were the "braised english peas" and the "braised swiss chard." Who knew that cooked peas could be so tasty. The "braised morels" were in a class by themselves. Served in its own mushroom reduction, it was fantastic.

We ordered a few desserts, too. I loved the chocolate souffle, and the berry crumble. The money bread was okay. The plate of three ice creams and three sorbets was mixed: loved the lemon and strawberry sorbet, didn't like the tea ice cream at all.

None of this is cheap, mind you. And there are no wine bargains on the menu. But that's what you get in a hotel restaurant in Vegas.

Bruce

Edited by Schneier (log)

Personally, I think Nob Hill in the MGM Grand is the better restaurant. But to be fair, it's been a couple of years since I've been there, and things can change.

NobHill is my next stop, the next time I'm there.

I didn't realize the restaurant was that old. I thought it was much more recent.

Bruce

Bruce-

As a big sweetbread fan, and one who is known to occassionally cook up a batch, can you share more on the preparation at Craftsteak?

I believe it was just braised.

The prep was minimal; it tasted perfect without any "extra" ingredients.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I was unable to secure a reservation here this past weekend but I did check out the bar and talk to some diners there. Overall the general impression was satisfaction with the food but disatisfaction with the painfully slow service (a woman had her credit card out set on the side of the table and waited for more than 20 minutes for the waiter to return to her table to retrieve the check).

I think slow service is an overall problem with MGM Grand because it's so big. I've dined at most of the restaurants in Bellagio and have never encountered this problem.

I think in a place like Vegas, where a lot people just go for a weekend, maybe to see a show, a fight, or a concert, it's even more important to be prompt when a diner indicates that he wants to leave.

Enjoyed Craftsteak last Saturday (5/29); group of 6 had hanger steak, 2 porterhouses for two, shortribs (indeed sublime), grass fed ribeye and grain fed ribeye (yes, we're pigs). Tremendous sides: snap peas and spinach were the table faves, although I thought the polenta was fantastic. Wines: Phelps Insignia 97 and Haut Brion 90; HB probably needed to be decanted earlier, as it didn't show well until later in the meal. Service was good, especially considering the restaurant was packed on a holiday weekend.

• 2 months later...

I have been to both places. I would recommend Craftsteak.

Prime was exhorbitantly expensive -- that may or may not matter to you. Their shellfish platter was tremendously good and the steak (NY Strip) was superb. Side items struck me as mediocre.

Craftsteak has a great bar that can make you an Aviation (I had to tell them how, but they did have all the ingredients. For dinner we had flageolet beans, red king crab cocktail, onion rings (because they looked so damn good when the table next to us ordered them), braised short ribs, and Kobe beef flank steak. That flank steak was definitely in the top three best pieces of meat I'd ever eaten.

The menu at Craftsteak, generally, struck me as a much more interesting "steakhouse experience" than Prime, which is quite straightforward.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Bleachboy has made some great points.

I've also been to both places...Craftsteak once and Prime 3 or 4 times.

I enjoyed Prime more...spent more..but what the heck.

We (5 of us) shared the shellfish platter one night...having no idea it cost ($200) ..but it was fantastic.

They usually offer a Ribeye for Two and it's out of this world.

It has been two years since I went to both. Craftsteak was much better. Had to send my steak back at Prime. :angry:

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

• 1 year later...

I coaxed my Dad into going on our first night in Vegas and I am so glad I did. The décor is minimal yet homey. We were seated in booth that was almost like a separate room from the rest of the dining area. The menu is very simple. It is broken down into veggies, meats, preparation styles, etc. Truly Italian but in Tom’s unique way. We ordered the beet salad and an assortment of oysters. We then decided to share the roasted gras-fed NY strip which is also basted with butter and thyme while roasting. We then had the braised veal breast which I swear had been braised in milk. Both were divine! We had French fries and the sautéed morels. The French fries were fresh and just the perfect crispness and thickness. The morels were fresh but drenched in a salty sauce that was not very good. The took them back and replaced them with a sauce-less version that we just loved. We were too stuffed for dessert but the choices kept with the theme of the dinner menu. Simple choices like seasonal fruit and lovely desserts. Such a great meal . This guy totally gets it.

Photos of my food here: http://blissfulgluttontraveleats.blogspot....s-vegas_06.html