• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winston-Salem restaurant recommendations needed

unixfan73

egulleteers

I need your aid

I am headed over to NC sunday evening in to tuesday for a business meeting with my boss.

All meals but sunday night are accounted for..I was hoping that I could get some good restaurant recommendations here.

basically, looking for good food in a casual type setting, no fancy type places (I think the last time my boss wore a suit was 96), no romantic places...just places where we can get some delicious eats in winston salem.

thanks in advance

yes, I actually checked that out...I did find some positive leads (for example noble's grill looks pretty interesting) but I was hoping for some opinions based on experience, as the reviewer ratings from tripadvisor are pretty sparse (I also tend to place more stock in the ratings and comments I read from folks on this site as well)

EDIT

I missed that second link (the frommers one), but alas I checked that out already as well.

Edited by unixfan73 (log)

Then I hope we will hear from someone who knows the food scene in Winston-Salem very soon .. aren't you leaving on Sunday? :wink:

heh

yup

I was only informed of this today...lest I would have asked at an earlier date.

I am certain, even without a personall rec., I will be able to find something good.

It's not like I will get fired if I don't

:unsure:

I don't live in Winston-Salem but visit occassionally. Nobles is good but pretty upscale. No suit required but i think you would call it a "fancy type place." They are associated with several other Noble's restaurants and have a website. You may want to check the hours--I suspect a lot of places are closed on Sunday nights. Other steakhouse / grill type places include Ryan's (not the chain) and Twin-City Chop House.

Other possibilities might include The Village Tavern in Reynolda Village by Wake Forest (I also think they have a location by Hanes Mall). Typical upper-scale Tavern food in a casual setting. (Perhaps not outstanding but I enjoy it as a good comfort food type place.) There is also a relatively new brewpub called Foothills Brewery which we found pretty fun and to have pretty good food.

Along those same lines you might also try Lucky 32--a small local chain. I'm pretty sure they have a website too--maybe www.lucky32.com. They provide a solid upscale but casual dining experience and usually have some good regional specialties.

I have not been but hear good things about Twin City Diner as well.

There is a website called www.triaddiner.com which may also be helpful. Hopefully some natives will respond as well.

Edited by Guilty Gourmand (log)

I think the Old Salem Tavern would suit you to a T, besides which it's in a beautiful, unique setting: Old Salem Village. But according to info, it's not open on Sunday evening. Neither is Zevely House, another good choice. Maybe you could juggle something around in order to get to the OST for lunch or dinner on another night.

CBHall

I would definitely skip Old salem tavern. I have never heard good reports of their food. Unfortunately most of the better choices are closed on Sunday. If you are flying into greensboro I would eat there. try revival grill(revivalgrill.com). or if you get in before 5 try giacomos on high point road(salamisbymail.com). In winston try village tavern by wake forest or sixth and vine downtown if they are open. Also open in downtown winston is foot hills brewing a new brewpub. the local paper panned the food but the beer isn't bad. six and vine has a better beer and wine by the glass selection and a decent selection of nibbles. I have not had the food but the beer choices are really good

below is a link to some brief mini reviews of winston eateries. Search the site for other choices

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645508968

I would definitely skip Old salem tavern.  I have never heard good reports of their food. 

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645508968

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess.... Admittedly, I haven't eaten at the OST in several years so maybe it's gone downhill. My hub grew up in W-S and OST was always one of his faves. I was always pleased with the Tavern's food, service, ambience, etc. When I read the original post in which the poster was describing a particular kind of restaurant, the Old Salem Tavern was what immediately came to mind.

CBHall