• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Your Favorite Cocktail?

Bill Poster

An "Apple Pie Martini," eh?  What goes into one of those?

Sam,

Take one slice of apple pie and one small piece of sharp cheddar cheese. Muddle this together with a little sugar. Or if you prefer smoother texture use a blender. Add a good dose of gin, juniper and apples are a natural, strain into a cocktail glass. Float on top some 151 rum. Light the rum on fire. It will smell just like a fresh baked pie. While waiting for flame to go out, mix yourself a cocktail

Manhattan, on the rocks. I'm open to Bourbon brands, though I have Knob Creek at home right now. Ooooh, now I'm jonesin' for a cocktail, baby.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

For me, it's really impossible to say. There are so many that I like. I will say, however, that I haven't been to Pegu Club a single time when I haven't had the Fitty - Fitty Martini (1:1 Tanqueray and Noilly Prat, stirred, strained and garnished with a twist). But whether that's my favorite is hard to say. It's my favorite way to start a long night of imbibing, I'll say that! :smile:

--

For me, it's really impossible to say.  There are so many that I like.  I will say, however, that I haven't been to Pegu Club a single time when I haven't had the Fitty - Fitty Martini (1:1 Tanqueray and Noilly Prat, stirred, strained and garnished with a twist).  But whether that's my favorite is hard to say.  It's my favorite way to start a long night of imbibing, I'll say that! :smile:

I'm going tonight, Sam - and I'm going to try that and a Manhattan with rye and bitters (per your recommendation in your expanding-the-cocktail-palate topic). Can't wait, can't wait.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

A perfect manhatan with a few dashes of orange bitters may be as close to perfection as mankind has ever come.

Here, here, Mike! As promised, I made myself branch out at Pegu tonight - a Fitty Fitty (yum!) and an Earl Grey Mar-tea-ni. I didn't have the capacity (after four glasses of wine with dinner at Ouest) for a Manhattan with rye - but, next time, I promise.

As for Cosmo drinkers, I find they are quite amenable to anything involving Champgane. :raz:

Queenie Takes Manhattan

an Apple Blow Fizz made with Laird's bonded applejack.

:cool:

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

In terms of the cocktail I have (and continue to ) consumed the most of, it would have to be a margarita: 2oz El Tesoro Platinum, 1oz fresh-squeezed lime juice, 1oz Citronge, splash of agave nectar. Shaken, on rocks.

I do also hold a lot of fascination for the Aviation, in that it's totally more than the sum of its three ingredients.

Marty

Marty McCabe

Boston, MA

Acme Cocktail Company

right now, its the cocktail I have in my non typing hand - a berlin station chief - this one with tanqueray, bunnahahven , twist of lemon.

goes damn well with a beef and horseradish sandwich at quarter to one in the morning after a long , hard day !

gethin

A bourbon crusta:

Bourbon, maraschino liqueur, Cointreau, lemon juice.

Up in a sugar rimmed cocktail glass.

Perfectly balanced and perfectly autumn.

PS Rye makes a good substitute for the bourbon if you're feeling adventurous!

"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more." Proverbs 31: 6-7

Julia

For me, it's really impossible to say.  There are so many that I like.  I will say, however, that I haven't been to Pegu Club a single time when I haven't had the Fitty - Fitty Martini (1:1 Tanqueray and Noilly Prat, stirred, strained and garnished with a twist).  But whether that's my favorite is hard to say.  It's my favorite way to start a long night of imbibing, I'll say that! :smile:

There is a couple of dashes of orange bitters in the Fitty as well I belive.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Gin, maraschino liqueur, and lemon. And much more than the sum of its parts (as is frequently the case with cocktails having maraschino). See here for a full discourse....

Me, I've been completely enamored of the Last Word cocktail for the past few months. Sooooo complex and yummy. And purdy too.

Christopher

I also love Aviations, though...and manhattans...and Twentieth Century Cocktails...and and HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO CHOOSE!?!?!?!?!?! :blink:

Depends on the day, I guess. For example, tonight I just want to go home, pour a stiff one of whatever stripe, down it, and go to bed.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous