• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai on the North Shore?

Paul B

A colleague of mine who recently moved to North Van was complaining to me that he can't find any good Thai food. He's originally from L.A. and has been expounding the virtues of that city's ethnic food scene. I've defended Vancouver but can't offer him a brilliant Thai experience on this side of the inlet. Any recommendations? Or does anyone know a good Thai place right downtown, say near the Seabus terminal? Vancouver's reputation as a culinary capital is on the line.

Paul B

it is worth the trip to go to simply thai in yaletown.

as for right downtown close to the seabus, the only ones i can come up with are thai house on robson (which i think is yuck), tropika on robson also has thai food, and sala thai on burrard which i've only eaten at once and thought it wasn't as good as simply thai.

Quentina

There is a new Thai restaurant that opened a few months ago called Thai Yala at 1925 Lonsdale. The place is Thai owned and operated, which is a must if you want the real deal! I have been twice and have yet to be disappointed. The green curry with chicken is great and so was their Pad Thai and fried rice. I'm not a fan of Krua.

"I went to a restaurant that serves breakfast at anytime.

So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance".

Steven Wright

Many thanks for the advice. I've already passed the recommendations on to my friend. He's tried, and been impressed with, Pudpong. I'm sure he'll get to the other places. But now he's complaining that he can't find good pizza on the North Shore. He should do what I do and make his own. . . .

Paul B

Many thanks for the advice.  I've already passed the recommendations on to my friend.  He's tried, and been impressed with, Pudpong.  I'm sure he'll get to the other places.  But now he's complaining that he can't find good pizza on the North Shore.  He should do what I do and make his own. . . .

Suggest to your friend to try the stuffed chicken wings at Pudpong.

Tasty and not at all what you would expect from a chicken wing (something I would not normally volunteer to eat).

I think they are stuffed with a rice combo of some sort, but memory fails, it's been a few months since our last visit.

Many thanks for the advice.  I've already passed the recommendations on to my friend.  He's tried, and been impressed with, Pudpong.  I'm sure he'll get to the other places.  But now he's complaining that he can't find good pizza on the North Shore.  He should do what I do and make his own. . . .

Best Pizza (anywhere) for a chain has got to be Me N Eds. In North Vancouver they are located on Lonsdale on the corner of 21st.

Derek

Best Pizza (anywhere) for a chain has got to be Me N Eds. In North Vancouver they are located on Lonsdale on the corner of 21st.

You know, I did suggest Me 'n' Ed's since it had been recommended to me (I still haven't tried it) but he didn't like it. I tell ya, these Californians are such snobs. What's he need? Hand tossed crust, duck sausage, and beluga caviar?

Paul B