• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Bed of Roses seasoning?

Pat W

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before. A forum search didn't work out for me.

A friend just gave me a small tin of "Bed of Roses" seasoning. It smells terrific but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Is anyone familiar with this? Would be ever so grateful for bit of guidance.

Thank you...

pat w

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

"A friend just gave me a small tin of "Bed of Roses" seasoning. It smells terrific but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Is anyone familiar with this? Would be ever so grateful for bit of guidance."

It's a wonderful little tin from the Cape Herb Company in South Africa. Their website is http://www.capeherb.com I'm so addicted to their blends and rubs, I bought the whole line from Chelsea Market online. :wub:

I use a generous tablespoon in a cup good EVOO and use for a bread dip. Let stand about 2 hours or more for good flavor development. Also good on lamb and especially chicken. Bag the bird parts and thow in some of that EVOO/rub combo (if there's any left) then grill..............then again, you could just put a little behind each ear :biggrin:

Edited by Joann (log)

The link above left out the "www." Go to Capeherb Rubs

The ingredient list for Bed of Roses is:

ginger, roasted garlic, sea salt, caraway seeds, sugar, roasted sesame seeds, cumin, paprika, cassia, chillies, coriander, blackpepper, turmeric, mint, nutmeg, grains of paradise, rose petals, saffron

A nice if perhaps overly complex mix of savory and sweet, which should work beautifully on chicken and even better on pork.

Oh my, with a list like that, my advice is to pick nearly any vegetable or meat and "go nuts".

Try it in some savory french toast custard and serve it with a spicy sage pork sausage.

Yummy!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The link above left out the "www."  Go to Capeherb Rubs

ginger, roasted garlic, sea salt, caraway seeds, sugar, roasted sesame seeds, cumin, paprika, cassia, chillies, coriander, blackpepper, turmeric, mint, nutmeg, grains of paradise, rose petals, saffron

I hope this isn't one of those ingredient lists where the most promenant ingredient is listed first. Agreed, with all that stuff in it, I'd be willing to give it a go. I sure hope rose petals are not that far down the list with regards to quantity/concentration. Anyone know for sure?

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

The link above left out the "www."  Go to Capeherb Rubs

I hope this isn't one of those ingredient lists where the most promenant ingredient is listed first. Agreed, with all that stuff in it, I'd be willing to give it a go. I sure hope rose petals are not that far down the list with regards to quantity/concentration. Anyone know for sure?

I beleive it is, but the rose taste is definetly there.

I use a generous tablespoon in a cup good EVOO and use for a bread dip. Let stand about 2 hours or more for good flavor development. Also good on lamb and especially chicken. Bag the bird parts and thow in some of that EVOO/rub combo (if there's any left) then grill..............then again, you could just put a little behind each ear  :biggrin:

Oh yum... will try the EVOO combo on chicken tomorrow night.

Might also dab a little behind each ear.

Either way, sounds like my poor husband will never know what hit him.

pat

-- Ogden Nash

Oh my, with a list like that, my advice is to pick nearly any vegetable or meat and "go nuts".

Now that you mention it, I wonder how this would work with chunks of potatoes & onions tossed in olive oil & roasted.

I believe I'll give it a try after the chicken & eau de bed of roses experiments.

pat w

-- Ogden Nash