• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Coriander Chutney

~cayenne~

I love :wub: the fresh green chili/cilantro/mint condiment (relish/non-cooked chutney) that is offered at some Indian resto's, one place has a tub of it at the till (sort of a fast-food type of establishment at the mall), and I load up on it before going to my table. :biggrin:

I've been searching for a recipe, and am wondering if anyone here might have one available. I know it doesn't have mango in it. I think there is green chili, mint, cilantro, onions?, garlic?, tomato? ....... spices? :hmmm:

Would anyone know the amounts of the different ingredients etc., for a reasonable size for one persons use over a few days? Oh, and I could eat lots, with whatever, :laugh: I love it!

TIA :smile:

ETA - p.s. sorry about the spelling mistake, should be desperately, but I don't know how to correct the topic. :blink:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

There are as many recipes as housewives. The other ingredients in addition to what you already know are :

Scallion leaves

Raw mango

Amchoor(raw mango, dried and powdered)

Anardana(dried pomegranate seeds)

Tamarind

Peanuts

Sugar

sesame seeds

Ginger

Fresh Dill

Bell peppers green

You would need to try different versions and find the best suited to your taste.

Sudhir Seth

Chef-Owner

http://www.indianfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Passage to India

4931 Cordell Avenue Bethesda MD 301 656-3373

www.passagetoindia.info

SpiceXing

100-B, Gibbs Street, Rockville MD 301 610-0303

www.SpiceXing.com

• 5 months later...
There are as many recipes as housewives.

I too am a desperate green sauce addict who isn't willing to just get this sauce from her local Indian restaurant. i want it at home too. I've finally gotten my hands on a good block of tamarind and now I want the other part of the sauce flavor equation.

If there are more recipe ideas in addition to the RecipeGullet one, I would welcome seeing them posted!

flavor floozy

Google "coriander chutney" (why call it "sauce"?) and you'll get more recipes than you can imagine. They are all variations

on the basic theme:

blenderize coriander (=cilantro, not the seed), ginger,

salt, green chillies, lemon juice, maybe a little mint (that becomes

mint-coriander chutney), otherwise a little coconut,

perhaps some green onion, maybe a spot of sugar;

I'm pretty sure there's no tamarind in the (green) coriander

chutney, tamarind chutney is a different entity altogether.

It's dark brown and more sweet and sour.

Google "tamarind chutney" for recipes, but it's again

a mush of tamarind paste or water, brown sugar,

raisins, cumin, a little red chili, etc.

Milagai

Google "coriander chutney" (why call it "sauce"?) and you'll get more recipes than you can imagine.  They are all variations

thanks eGullet is a gem.

- here, tamarind chutney is always served at the side of the cilantro chutney. I didn't mean that there was tamarind in the cilantro one...

flavor floozy

I love that green stuff. But now I like the lemon pickle also served at my usual Indian buffet. I highly rate Indian condiments. Then there's that yogurt sauce that is great on the salads even though I doubt it's intended for them

glazz

drizzled or mainlined doesn't matter  :biggrin:

I am baffled that when a name already exists

for a dish (chutney, raita, etc.) it gets called

"sauce"......

Milagai

Mmm mainlined... :wub:

I think the crux was we had no clue what the name was, hence the generic default.

flavor floozy

• 4 weeks later...