• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for bistros near Parmentier metro

Mayur

Dear Gulleteers:

I'll be in Paris at the end of October/beginning November; having already pressed some of you for a specific, high-end recommendation (thanks again, guys!), I'm trying to figure out some stuff on the more casual/local end. My girlfriend and I will be staying with some friends of ours in the 11th, near the Parmentier metro; while they'll no doubt have suggestions, and we have some decent regular-ish places near there, I'd love to hear recs (especially since one of my faves, Le Verre Vole, is probably going to be jammed with tourists, and another just got a write-up in Time Out Paris). Specifically, I'm looking for something bistro-ish. While the neighborhood is packed with interesting ethnic restaurants, it's just not what I'm looking for in a mere week in Paris, especially since I haven't been in over six months. So, any recommendations for bistros of truly excellent quality around there (especially those on which it's possible to get in on short notice!) would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much!

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

My girlfriend and I will be staying with some friends of ours in the 11th, near the Parmentier metro;

Lucky you; the 11th is hopping foodwise.

My favorites (in rank order) are:

Temps Au Temps - 25 E menu-carte

l'Ecallier du bistrot - (awesome Utah beach oysters)

Repaire de Cartouche

Au Vieux Chene

Le Sot l'y laisse

Bistrot Paul Bert

Les Jumeaux

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Merci beaucoup pour les suggestions!

John,

Les Jumeaux is the place that I was a bit worried about, overcrowding/overpopular-wise (having gotten a fair-sized writeup in Time Out Paris). Have you been there recently, and is it still going strong?

Also, is L'Ecailler du Bistrot a good oyster-stopover-type place, or a bit too sit-down/full menu for that? I tend to like a simple glass of wine and oysters as a sort of pause, rather than part of a full meal.

You guys are great!

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

John,

Les Jumeaux is the place that I was a bit worried about, overcrowding/overpopular-wise (having gotten a fair-sized writeup in Time Out Paris). Have you been there recently, and is it still going strong?

Also, is L'Ecailler du Bistrot a good oyster-stopover-type place, or a bit too sit-down/full menu for that? I tend to like a simple glass of wine and oysters as a sort of pause, rather than part of a full meal.

I have not been to Les Jumeaux in a while which was one reason I did not list it at the top. We (4) stopped going because while very reasonable it did not offer enough choices on the "menu" nor change enough with the seasons.

As for L'Ecailler du Bistrot we've been twice just to have the Utah's and once for a full meal. I think it's great for standing at the "bar" and having some oysters and wine, then going across the street to Temps Au Temps for lunch.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris