• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutchess County (Hudson Valley) Culinary Wasteland

Stone

Given that CIA is in Hyde Park, why are there so few good and no great restaurants in Dutchess County? I haven't been to Terrapin in Rhinebeck (generally spoken of as the best restaurant in the area), but I've never heard a good word about it. I did eat at Bistro Gigi two weekends ago. I had a cold and fever, so can't really comment -- other than to say that my pumpkin ravioli had no pumpkin and instead had spinach and cheese. It tasted fine to my tasteless buds. The food else where looked good.

Mina in Red Hook was supposed to be good, but it closed before I got there.

Is there anything West of the river worth its salt?

I understand that because Hudson Valley will never have Napa's wine draw -- buy why can't it support better restaurants?

I'm guessing you actually mean east of the river, since that's where Dutchess is. For high-end dining, Le Pavilion in Poughkeepsie is very good. At a less high level, Umami Cafe in Fishkill isn't bad at all, and Saigon Cafe near Vassar is very good Vietnamese.

West of the river, check out the Would Bar and Grill - it's excellent.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

One year when I was at Vassar my housemates and I would eat at (or get takeout from) Saigon Cafe literally 7-10 times a week, often getting both lunch and dinner from there. The owner is an awesome guy who makes great, cheap food. God. I haven't thought about that place in years.

We also used to go to New Paltz to eat at a place in a stripmall that we loved - Main Course, I think. I wasn't very sophisticated about food then (not that I am now, but I was even less so in college), but I remember that we thought it tasted really good....

Edited by sakana (log)

What!? The Olive Garden doesn't float your boat? :raz:

I have to disagree with Dryden about Saigon Cafe. Perhaps it's good compared to Vietnamese in Sandusky, Ohio, but not really comparable to NYC Vietnamese.

The Umami Cafe is okay... I find many of their dishes a little too sweet.

The Hyde Park Brewery is worth checking out for casual dining.

Haven't tried any high-end places in the area. Not really willing to risk disappointment when NYC is only 1.5 hours away.

Terrapin is a joke. Go there if you feel like laughing. For good, solid food, go to Le Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck. Better than Gigi for sure. Sure, Mina was the best and cant be replaced, but Swoon up in Hudson is quite good and worth the trip from your neck of the woods, Stone. Avoid 40 West in Rhinebeck. I'd rather eat at Terrapin.

The area does seem like it is in a funk lately. With Mina and Cripple Creek (which wasnt fantastic, but better than whats there), gone, and Larry Forgione long gone from the Beekman, it's tough. Things will change though, as soon as we find a space in Rhinebeck... :wink:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Run, do not walk, to Beso in New Paltz. In the interest of full disclosure, I used to work for Chad Greer, the chef (as an extern) and so was naturally biased. What my husband and I discovered, though, is that it is inded an excellent restaurant. The service was professional. The food was fresh, local, and lovingly prepared. Go.

American bounty at CIA. for dinner is very good now, the chef is eisenhour, former chef at prune and savoy in nyc, and she is hardass (but we love her, some of us anyway)

the wine list at escoffier is EXTREMELY UNDERPRICED, good cote rotie for like $95.

colavita is a pretty good value for food and wine too and a beautiful dining room.

gigi's has a decent wine list, ok food, terrapin i only go to for the purpose of drinking wine, getting drunk, and the sexyness of the room.