• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast

dodge621

At breakfast at Country Pancake House in Ridgewood yesterday.  Food very good and prices reasonable.  Wait can be very long if you go during prime time which seems to be from 9am to noon.  

What are other good breakfast places or diners around?

Candlewyck Diner in village of East Ruthrford - corner of Paterson Plank Road and Hackensack Rd (or Street?). Good prices, very consistent food and efficient, friendly service. I've never waited for a table, even at 9 or 10 AM on a Sunday. They serve their Eggs Benedict on oversized English Muffins that are nearly the size of a slice of bread - very nice. The Hollandaise is the predictable variety but okay. Home fries are better than average and they will cook them crispy with onions on request. Coffee is nothing special but I've yet to find a diner in North Jersey with really good coffee.

The Ridgewood Country Pancake House is my regular stop for breakfast.  However, it's definitely NOT a place to go if you want something light to eat (which is part of why I love it so)!  Sundays can definitely be ridiculous there, but I still respect a place in Ridgewood having such integrity to charge reasonable prices for large portions and only accept cash.  Translation: I'll wait in line, but I don't go on Sundays.

For many people, Sundays are mostly about brunch rather than breakfast, but I'm not big on brunch myself so I can't recommend anywhere for that.

There's a little place in Oakland called The Hen's Roost (I think?) which claims to offer "The best breakfast in Oakland".  Considering the only OTHER place offering breakfast in Oakland is a diner, they're certainly playing it safe with that sign.  I only ate there a couple of times (when I lived in Oakland) and did find it to be very good, but since leaving Oakland I haven't been back (so it wasn't THAT good, I guess).

I've seen a couple of diners recently that claim to be "Pancake Houses", but I really think it's a ridiculous claim.  If anyone knows of any places that REALLY earn the title, I'd be happy to hear of them.  So far, I've never found anything to rival the pancake houses I've been to in the Netherlands and Germany.

Sunday mornings after church service is our usual breakfast out day and time.  So I am always looking for different good places to go.  Some of the places we frequent are, Moon in Westwood, TriValley in Dumont, Jackson Hole in Englewood, Leonia Cafe in Leonia, and all the diners from Englewood to Paramus.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde