• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dancing and/or singing greek or italian restos

Salomon

Hi all,

Clients of mine from China have requested that we go out in a greek or italian restaurants whre there's singing and/or dancing (and good food, of course). Since the client is always right; do you have any recommendations? Those are not the kind of places I visit regularly... Thanks,

Salomon

For Italian, try La Molisana.......

There used to be quite a few of them in the 80's. But that cheesyness stayed in that decaded....and adopted by the chinese as I can see for the 21st century !

PS : you never mentioned good food though in your request.

At Il Piatto Pieno on Zootique in Little Italy you'll find a resident Karoke Singer that's a dead ringer for Ron Jeremy. Made My Son's Girlfriend's day when he sang "I left my Heart in San Francisco" to her.

Also, it's a BYOW so it scores high on the Montreal novelty list - and full of Italians dealing with huge plates of pasta & pizza. And unabashedly Cheesy & Cheesy!

/gth

Edited by sf&m (log)

The food at Mythos is not like before and yet the prices have increased dramatically.....wouldnt recommend as an impressive dining destination!!! The low ceiling and abundance of cigarette smoke (lack of ventilation) make it very uncomfortable!!! Not a good place to bring clients!!!

Would definitely go to another greek restaurant if you want to impress someone such as Lesvos, Ammos or Milos...which play greek & mediterranean music in the background! And they all have amazing fresh fish!!!

Compared to mythos, I enjoyed a bit more Vegera on Van Horn. I had to go to both back to back in the same week. The fried calamary at vegera are very hard to beat, just stay away from the kitchen area when the flames are on...

The party atmosphere downstairs at Mythos is more fun though... screaming greeks unite !

A recent Wednesday-night visit to Café Via Dante held a surprise: some very good live music. No singing or dancing, but it lent the place a nice warm ambiance. I don't think they do this on weekends, though.

For singing and dancing, you might have to stray from Greek or Italian into Spanish or Portuguese. For example, the Spanish Social Club has, IIRC, two Flamenco nights a week (Wed., Sat.). Not sure it's really classy enough for entertaining clients, though...

I think it's Tony Masserelli. Does that sound right?

Close. Tony Massarelli. Performer of "Aimer et mentir", "Bambina Bambina" and other 1960s pop hits. Sold more than 1 million 45 rpms. Not quite the image of Pavarotti or Gino Quilico I had dancing in my head, but then again you didn't say primo uomo, now did you? Thanks for checking.

Rétro jeunesse 60

His latest record

Quelli Della Notte website

QDN appears not to be his first restaurant venture, either:

Da Tony Massarelli

I wouldnt recommend vegera.. very blahhh..boring... very small, no decor, no ambience, not a good wine selection at all... they recently lost their chef and the owner's son is now the cook... nothing to offer i believe!

My three previous choices for greek still stand as the best!

Yes its Tony Massarelli who now partly owns Quelli Della Notte... have heard that their food is no longer as good!

Maybe Modavie would be a good choice too.....Mediterranean restaurant with live jazz...just no dancing! But definitely an impressive restaurant!!!