• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Olives for a Gin Martini

DutchMuse

I love an ice cold martini straight up, especially with Old Raj. What kind of olives do you prefer in this drink?

If you like an ice cold martini straight up with a 3/1 : (gin/dry vermouth ratio) try cocktail onions.

I like the fist size yellow olives that you just squeeze a bit of the skins oil into the cocktail.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Love tomolives! Also, if you're in the mood for something different: bleu cheese stuffed olives, pickled okra (hot or mild), caper berries and, as mentioned above, a good gibson onion. Since you brought it up, don't mind if I do...

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 2 weeks later...
Love tomolives!  Also, if you're in the mood for something different: bleu cheese stuffed olives, pickled okra (hot or mild), caper berries and, as mentioned above, a good gibson onion.  Since you brought it up, don't mind if I do...

What is a tomolive? I have gone to caperberries as my standard.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

They are actually little pickled cherry tomatoes, made by Old South (online source, picture). If you have a grocer/liquor store (depending on how draconian liquor laws are in your state) with a reasonable offering of garnishes, you might find them. They are not as rare as they were ~10 years ago when I first discovered them.

Cheers!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm a fan of the Miss Leone's olives available HERE and also at Sam's Clubs HERE for a substantial savings. There are several varieties like blue cheese stuffed, garlic stuffed, almond stuffed, "Rockets" double stuffed with garlic and jalapeno and my personal favorite "Fire in the Pit" with Turkish peppers. Good quality olives with enough variants to please anyone.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol