• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good kosher delis in NJ?

popover

Deli King in Clark in the Clarkton Shopping Center is good, as is Deli King in Linden on St. Georges Ave. No relation to each other. Tabatchnik's in Union is a very good deli, but kosher style rather than kosher.

John the hot dog guy

Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock is very good and very popular. (www.koshernosh.com)

I personally like their hot brisket with gravy, but also occasionally have a hot dog and sauerkraut, and they have very good catering available for small-ish parties.

let me know if you have questions,

Kobi

Near union would be good.  I moved from NY a couple years ago and can never find one around here or even close.

Thanks

Most of these delis are not really kosher, but as John points out, "Kosher style". I'm sure if you needed pure kosher you would already know where those places are. But Kosher style, meaning they are open Saturday but have Jewish-style food, gives you a few choices. Tabatchnik's on Vauxhall Road has been there for half a century. Also, Larry's, on South Avenue in Plainfield is a longtime staple. These are within 15 minutes of Union.

Just one caution: These NJ delis do not approach the quality of the stuff in NYC. If you're expecting food on the level of Katzs or 2nd Ave, or Zabars, its not there. But for convenience sake, these are acceptable alternatives.

Thankyou for the suggestions. I am willing to travel. I am from NY and Long island, and I am accustomed to some good ones there. Kosher style is fine. Thankyou for your honesty Menton. I guess I will be a tough customer to please because I did go to some of the places mentioned but maybe they are as good as some of the Long Island Deli's.

Thankyou for the suggestions.  I am willing to travel.... 

Taking you at your word.... Jesse & David's is an excellent kosher deli, in Manalapan. Like you, I'm a tough customer when it comes to deli, and they've been able to please me for many years. They have a second location in East Brunswick called Lox, Stock & Deli. I've never eaten there but presume it would be as good.

Jesse & David's/Lox, Stock & Deli

Goodmans in Berkley Heights is Kosher style

Harolds New York Deli in Edison is a very popular restaurant. They are known for gigantic portions..not cheap.... One large sandwich serves 3 with left overs.

They have a great pickle bar with all kinds of stuff including the old Claremont Restaurant's salad. The owner worked at the Claremont I think.

Teaneck and Fairlawn are the best places  in new jersey for kosher food(deli-appetizing,israeli)

This is quite a list. I look forward to trying these. My parents are moving from Long Island to NJ in Cranbury but we'll have a bunch to try out.

They also have a great turkey sandwich and you can't forget the salad bar that they have with cole slaw, pickled vegetables, potato salad, etc.....

Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock is very good and very popular.  (www.koshernosh.com)

I personally like their hot brisket with gravy, but also occasionally have a hot dog and sauerkraut, and they have very good catering available for small-ish parties.

let me know if you have questions,

Kobi

Teaneck and Fairlawn are the best places  in new jersey for kosher food(deli-appetizing,israeli)

This is quite a list. I look forward to trying these. My parents are moving from Long Island to NJ in Cranbury but we'll have a bunch to try out.

If they moved to Cranbury they can go to Highland Park or Jerusalem Pizza which is near marlboro area or so... they have TONS of Kosher places and also East Brunswick used to have a Kosher Deli or two in town just look on the internet or in your phone book. I live in Northern NJ now. Goodluck!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.