• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken, anyone?

jsibley

finally got around to trying sandy's today. simply put, this is just damn good fried chicken. NOT greasy. can't say too much else, since they were out of everything else but chicken when we were there. no matter--i'll be back soon. :laugh:

went to a cheese shop before lunch and by the time i got out of there there was no way in hell i was having anything *but* cheese, pate, and bread for lunch. i managed to not even touch last night's leftover half bottle of red, much to my surprise.

so yeah, i didn't go. it's just as well as i wouldn't have appreciated it on this particular day.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Sandy's for lunch today and grabbed a 6 pack...3legs/3 thighs...the chicken really is something special, especially the thighs...there is just something about dark meat fried chicken that makes me crazy! I spoke to Sandy, and unfortunately next week is their last week in business at this location. They will be moving to a Flea Market in Pennsylvania. This location will have chicken and all the fixins, plus lots of other food as well. Also, they have only carried fried chicken at the location in Garfield for a while now, so no side dishes at all. (doesn't matter what time you get there). I would recommend anyone in the area to stop by next week and grab some chicken. Go early, as they often sell out by mid afternoon. Fried chicken and a couple of Becks. It don't get much better than that.

-Al

I spoke to Sandy, and unfortunately next week is their last week in business at this location. They will be moving to a Flea Market in Pennsylvania.

say it ain't so. i've been dying to try this place. :sad: maybe tomorrow. but that sucks either way if they're moving.

no, no, no

it is a goooooood thing

they will be right off rt. 80 on the pa side in marshall's creek

i have tokens

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We're stupid stupid people for not going there earlier.

First off, Jon's directions are off, it is 3.3 miles after Teterboro Airport, just after the Welcome to Garfield sign (which is after both Lodi and Saddle Brook).

We got a bucket of 16 pieces to go, eating 1 already made drumstick while we waited for our pan of chicken to finish, and one of the freshly made wings in the parking lot. Both were really good, but there is a noticeable difference in the chicken waiting under the heat lamps, which was a little drier, but still tasty. We also shared a breast when we got home, having left the take out container lid ajar so that the chicken wouldn't steam. It was still hot and the breast meat was nice and juicy.

I like fried chicken cold, so the rest is cooling off and getting put in the fridge. I wonder how it would hold up frozen? We may go back during the week to stock the chest freezer.

They are closing up shop on Thursday or Friday, "what, when you run out of chicken?" I asked. Jamal (Sandy's son) laughed and nodded.

~~~

Some local review piece on the wall (not the Record, just some town rag I think)

Actually, that was the Star Ledger, circa November 2001.

You could probably call ahead and place your order, there were only a few pieces of chicken sitting under the heat lamps when we arrived, and about 3 customers ahead of us waiting -- so that wiped out the already made stuff. We bought the pan that was currently cooking on the stove, and Jamal didn't put anymore up until our order was done. (They have more than one pan so I don't know why he didn't start making more as soon as he sold what was cooked, but I don't run a fried chicken store so what do I know?) In fact, a customer (local cop) walked in while we were waiting and left when told how long the wait for more chicken would be. It was only around 1:30. Like I said, call ahead.

I was there on Saturday and COULD NOT believe that they are moving; just when I am getting hook on these fried chicken!! Sandy’s son mentioned that they would have a web site setup soon with their new address. Hope someone will post it here.

I also meet Rachel and Jason Perlow there when Jason was busily taking those delicious pictures shown above.

I have mentioned to Jason about SooChow, a real “hardcore Chinese restaurant” that is just a couple miles away on the same side of route 46. Hope they will try it.

Bill

Indeed we did make it to SooChow last night. We thought the food was good, very similar menu to China 46, priced a bit lower, but the portions were slightly smaller, so that's a wash. We would go again if it were convenient to do so (in the area, meeting up with someone else who wants to go there, etc.), but C46 is much closer to home so we will probably stick with them for the most part. Thanks for the heads up, you should give them their own thread. :wink:

Rachel:

I am glad you and Jason have tried Soochow; maybe I will get motivated and start a new thread on them.

However, I will have to make another run for Sandy’s chickens before it’s all gone!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternatives now that Sandy is out of north Jersey?

I used to go to The Fireplace in Paramus for fried chicken but they are inconsistence.

Bill

i just tried the Fireplace's chicken last night. i'd been there before for various uninteresting reasons, and walked away thinking that it would be nice to go with a group of kids. mrs. tommy has told me that she remembers the chicken as being good, so i stopped in at about 8 o'clock. they were out of breasts. the chicken was obviously freshly fried, as i waited for 20 minutes. one piece was burnt, and the others were just ok. they actually had 1 breast left, and i gave that to mrs. tommy. she loved it, even though it was 2 hours after i bought it. perhaps that's the key with this place.

Has anyone been to Sonny's in Asbury Park? This is where Springstein played for the Today show. They do a real nice job with their honey fried chicken as well as short ribs and other assorted goodies. Very non pretentious, funky, good grub. :rolleyes:

Frankly those pictures don't do Sandy's justice.

I kind of wish I'd been able to drag my ass out there one last time, but... too late.

Frankly, the sides were a big part of the place too, so I suppose it would have already have NOT BEEN THE SAME.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Folks, I drove past Sansy's today and it looked closed. angry.gif

I saw couple of guys putting a new coat of paint on the shack.

IMO, It took aways the rustic charm of the place. :rolleyes:

Tommy, fried chickens from Fireplace are hit or miss.

I get about one good order out of four.

But what can you do ? It still beats KFC/Popeyes.

Bill

• 2 months later...
Has anyone been to Sonny's in Asbury Park?  This is where Springstein played for the Today show.  They do a real nice job with their honey fried chicken as well as short ribs and other assorted goodies.  Very non pretentious, funky, good grub. :rolleyes:

Ha! This is what a search on "Asbury Park" will do for you.

Times like this, I love eGullet! :smile:

Sonny's sounds like our target for tomorrow, assuming that crowds permit. Thanks for mentioning it, if we get there, I'll post some details.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Oh no! :shock:

Ah well we'll have to rely on serendipity then. Thanks for the warning!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845