• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fall/winter flavors of ice cream

amccomb

My fav's that I have made are Pistachio and Coffee Chocolate. But hazelnut is on my list for my next go. But for the Pistachio and the Hazelnut you would need a good quality paste which my become a bit pricey. Worth it, but pricey.

For hazelnut, I would grind a bit of hazelnut and add a dash of Frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur.

My favorite fall/winter ice creams, gelatos and sorbets have been:

1) kabocha (Japanese pumpkin) ice cream, avoiding any impulse to add pumpkin pie-like spices. Extra simple can be fantastic.

2) Apple and Calvados sorbet.

3) Pear sorbet. I have done this with some cloves, but with good, sweet pears, less is more, and unadorned is fantastic.

4) Satsumaimo or sweet potato, roasted/baked then smashed.

5) Purple sweet potatoes (either Okinawan-style, or a bit more "spicy" with ube.)

6) Chestnut, especially went paired with either apple or pear sorbets.

7) Cranberry sorbet.

Although most cherished in the summer, many citrus fruits actually peak in fall and winter.

My fav's that I have made are Pistachio and Coffee Chocolate.  But hazelnut is on my list for my next go.  But for the Pistachio and the Hazelnut you would need a good quality paste which my become a bit pricey.  Worth it, but pricey.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I ended up using ludja's pear ice cream recipe, but with apples. I had planned on using pears, bought the pears, and discovered something new about my husband - he does not like pears! How have I gone for 7 years and not learned this? Have I always eaten ALL of our pear preserves and pear desserts?

Anyway, I added a caramel swirl at the end, so we had caramel apple ice cream, and it was wonderful! I really want to try it with pure pear now!

• 6 years later...

Make the pumpkin like a pumpkin pie - just cook the custard base and add the spices and roast pumpkin, blender, chill, freeze. We had pumpkin pie ice cream at Halloween when I worked in an ice cream shop in high school. We always sold out. If you can't find a pumpkin, butternut squash is really nice too.

Now I want some! smile.gif

-Linda

Wooow I had no idea this existed!! it sounds incredible..oooooohhh food, how I love thee ^_^ !!