• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upgrade your pastry decorating stencils

espadon1

In a pinch I've used stencils to decorate cakes and pastries, but most of the time I've found the ready made designs pretty lame. I chanced upon this website that has pastry stencils featuring 18th Century designs from the Winterthur museum in Delaware. Compared to the designs previously on the market, these are pretty impressive:

http://www.designerstencils.net/Merchant2/...gory_Code=CAKES

pardon the stupid question, but how does one use those?

Thanks so much for asking. I was wondering the same thing. Short of dusting over it with icing sugar or cocoa...do you use an airbrush or something?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 2 weeks later...
pardon the stupid question, but how does one use those?

Thanks so much for asking. I was wondering the same thing. Short of dusting over it with icing sugar or cocoa...do you use an airbrush or something?

The detail in the stencils is very fine and you can use almost anything to pass through them i.e royal icing, butter cream, cocoa pastes, fondants etc. You just have to be sure that the surface of the item to be decorated is dry enough to accept the use of a spatula. But yes, you can also use an airbrush.

The company will also do custom work - they also offer a "how to" package with a DVD, book and sample stencils.

This company is great! I saw them at the ICES convention in DC and at the Atlantic Bakery Expo in Atlantic City. I had them demo for us at the Philadelphia Pastry Society as well. Their stencils are great as well as their customer service. *thumbs up*