• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodstops on Fraser

Zucchini Mama

I've been wanting to post this thread for a while, since I find myself on Fraser, and then try to remember all the eGullet pit stops on this street. What are the food-stops on Fraser? Which bakeries, delis, restaurants, bubble tea and sweet shops do you recommend?

Last week my son and I did a pre-Halloween shop at the Mennonite Thrift Store, then headed up to the Kedah House for lunch. He had the chicken sate with little cubes of cold rice and cucumbers. I had the lamb byriani, which was tasty, but scary as there was little pieces of lamb bone shrapnel throughout.

Then we headed a few doors north to the (Daia?) Sweet Shop, where I had a masala chai and he had a mango kulfi pop. They had these deep-fried battered green chilis in the front corner that looked mighty good. Anyone tried these?

Zuke

p.s.

Here's a summary of the hot spots mentioned below. PM me if any details are innacurate. Now I can print this out and carry it with me the next time I'm on Fraser!

Bee Kim Heng Beef and Pork Jerky--4194 Fraser St.@ King Ed (604) 875-8688

Grand View Szechuan--west side of Fraser at 26th Ave.

They deliver.

European Breads-- 4324 Fraser, @28th

I can vouch for their Georgian Baguette-sour and chewy goodness.

Nooru Mahal--4354 Fraser@ 28th

Dosas!

Kedah House-- 5750 Fraser, @S. of 41st

Malaysian Muslim-phone to check hours

Koon Bo 5682 Fraser--mini mall@41st and Fraser

BBQ Duck!

Ho Yuen Kee--6236 Fraser, (604) 324-8855

Crab with garlic chips

Original Tandoori Kitchen-689- 65th Ave, one door west of Fraser

Tandoori King 8017 Fraser Street

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Thanks folks. Now I just want to get the locations right. PM me if I've got the cross street wrong. Let us know specifically what draws you to the place. I'll make a list and post it at the top of the thread.

Bee Kim Heng Beef and Pork Jerky--4194 Fraser St.@ King Ed, (604) 875-8688

European Breads-- 4324 Fraser, @28th

I can vouch for their Georgian Baguette-sour and chewy goodness.

Nooru Mahal--4354 Fraser@ 28th

Dosas!

Kedah House-- 5750 Fraser, @S. of 41st

Malaysian Muslim-phone to check hours

Koon Bo 5682 Fraser--mini mall@41st and Fraser

BBQ Duck!

Tandoori Kitchen- Which one?

--Mae West

Before the restaurant on East 65th Avenue was sold, these two restaurants were owned by feuding members of the same family. The one on East 65th Avenue is now the Original Tandoori Kitchen, part of a five-restaurant chain; though this is the location our family preferred, I haven't tried its fare since the ownership change. However, you can't go wrong with Tandoori King at 8017 Fraser Street.

Clear as mud, no?! :wink:

And don't forget about Grand View Szechuan on the west side of Fraser at East 26th Avenue. Was just there for lunch last week and the food was every bit as delicious as it was when they were on West Broadway. They're also fantastic for takeout; be sure to grab a menu Zuke, as I'm sure you're well within their delivery area.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Before the restaurant on East 65th Avenue was sold, these two restaurants were owned by feuding members of the same family. The one on East 65th Avenue is now the Original Tandoori Kitchen, part of a five-restaurant chain; though this is the location our family preferred, I haven't tried its fare since the ownership change. However, you can't go wrong at Tandoori King at 8017 Fraser Street.

Clear as mud, no?! :wink:

And don't forget about Grand View Szechuan on the west side of Fraser at East 26th Avenue. Was just there for lunch last week and the food was every bit as delicious as it was when they were on West Broadway. They're also fantastic for takeout; be sure to grab a menu Zuke, as I'm sure you're well within their delivery area.

Thanks Moosh, I will grab a delivery menu. Stephen Wong raves about some of the dishes at Ho Yuen Kee at 6236 Fraser (604) 324-8855. He mentioned something about crab and garlic chips...!

Zuke

--Mae West

Before the restaurant on East 65th Avenue was sold, these two restaurants were owned by feuding members of the same family.  The one on East 65th Avenue is now the Original Tandoori Kitchen, part of a five-restaurant chain; though this is the location our family preferred, I haven't tried its fare since the ownership change.  However, you can't go wrong at Tandoori King at 8017 Fraser Street.

Clear as mud, no?!  :wink:

My head hurts! :wacko:

Isn't the legendary Al Watan in that 'hood somewhere?

Of course Kim Phung and Mui Garden (at 41st & Vic) are so close and so good that you might consider adding them to your list of mid-town eateries.

Also re the Tandoori place - unlike Mooshmouse I have a distinct preference for the Original Tandoori Kitchen on 65th. There is something clean and crisp and fresh about it compared to the Tandoori King - which is a bit greasy and slimy by comparison. That's just my view - but I always feel decidedly better after a meal at the T Kitchen than I do after a meal at the T King.

Silver Palace on Fraser & 49th (same mall as Starbucks) is our family's favourite, & I believe it's less expensive than Koon Bo/Koon Lok (at least for lunch). The congee is superb, & fried noodles & such are really good as well.

Koon Bo has excellent roasted meats - duck & squab, with juicy meat & crispy skin. I think you have to pre-order them though. Another yummy thing that you have to pre-order is their baked Chinese-style tapioca pudding with red bean filling.

Edited by chocomoo (log)

Also re the Tandoori place - unlike Mooshmouse I have a distinct preference for the Original Tandoori Kitchen on 65th.  There is something clean and crisp and fresh about it  compared to the Tandoori King - which is a bit greasy and slimy by comparison. That's just my view - but I always feel decidedly better after a meal at the T Kitchen than I do after a meal at the T King.

Interesting you mention that, Ducky. I hadn't brought it up because of the change of ownership, but we always preferred takeout food from Original Tandoori King on 65th. I was steered towards that choice by a couple of East Indian friends and, after trying Tandoori King on Fraser Street once, stuck to ordering from the Original.

Have you tried the food at Original Tandoori Kitchen since it changed hands?

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Isn't the legendary Al Watan in that 'hood somewhere?

Yes - just a bit north of Ho Yuen Kee (maybe a block or so). Excellent halal Pakistani food!

Cheers!

Okay, I've added

Fraser Konditerei and Bakery--6533 Fraser

special seasonal European goodies

Bodhi Choi Heung Vegetarian Restaurant--3932 Fraser@ 23rd Ave., (604) 873-3848

I've heard good things about this place.

Silver Palace on Fraser & 49th (same mall as Starbucks)

Al Watan--6084 Fraser Street, (604) 324-6378

Legendary Halal Pakistani food

Zuke

--Mae West

Took a tour of Fraser Street on this Gorgeous fall Saturday, and yes, the Fraser Meat and video store still exists, as does the Fraser Delicatessen Inc., (6579 Fraser-@49th, (604) 321-8575) which is wonderful because it's like walking back in time. You can even get containers of griebenschmalz. I usually head there around Christmas to get special baking spices like powdered star anise. They have more than 100 kinds of deli meats and more than 30 kinds of imported cheeses. They also make fresh sandwiches as well as coffee and have a couple of tables if you want to eat in.

There are so many hidden gems on this street to be sure. I noticed a couple of Polish places, the Polish Country Store and Polonia Meats bear further investigation. I noticed the European Breads place has sour cherry perogies that sound intriguing as well. I popped in and bought a couple of goodies for Sunday brekky and a hefty flax doorstopper loaf that looks very healthy. :wacko: Their Georgian Baguette is a staple at our house. They also have Georgian deli salads.

I had a wonderful lunch at Nooru Mahal. The waiter was gorgeous so attentive I thought I'd died and been reborn a Principessa! I had a Lamb Palak Dosa which was filled with hearty succulent pieces of lamb with spicy savory spinach. There were two kinds of coconut chutney, which were amazing and the waiter gives generous refills on the chutney.:wub: The place is spotless and the food is great and obviously prepared with love, so why was it empty???? Hey, they deliver too (within a five km radius, orders over 15$). (604) 873-9263 Cell (604) 812-2873. They also serve Sri Lankan and Singaporean dishes, Halal food is available, and you can get a four foot long dosa for the whole family.

Zuke

--Mae West

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried this place called JR Take out and Eat in-4530 Fraser Street, tucked in to that wierd Alpine mini mall of Fraser at 29th Ave? I have the menu on my desk and it looks incredibly cheap and has foods on it I've never hear of before. What is Mutton Pittu Kotthu? Curried Bitter Cot? What are Milk Hoppers? Fried Chili, Paysam and Rasam? What is this Lamp Rice, which must be ordered in advance? Oh, they deliver. (604) 708-3008. Still, I wouldn't know what to order.

It's a tiny place. I'm curious.

Zuke

--Mae West

Mutton Pittu Kotthu? Curried Bitter Cot? What are Milk Hoppers? Fried Chili, Paysam and Rasam? What is this Lamp Rice, which must be ordered in advance?

sounds like a whole bunch of grammatical errors to me.... esl in the culinary world : buyer beware.

Has anyone tried this place called JR Take out and Eat in-4530 Fraser Street, tucked in to that wierd Alpine mini mall of Fraser at 29th Ave? I have the menu on my desk and it looks incredibly cheap and has foods on it I've never hear of before. What is Mutton Pittu Kotthu? Curried Bitter Cot? What are Milk Hoppers? Fried Chili, Paysam and Rasam? What is this Lamp Rice, which must be ordered in advance? Oh, they deliver. (604) 708-3008. Still, I wouldn't know what to order.

It's a tiny place. I'm curious.

Zuke

Me too! :biggrin:

Sri Lanka Daily News

ooh, this one has everything almost

Pittu

Kottu

all

Milk hoppers

Well, at least we know it's not just :huh:a whole bunch of grammatical errors.

:smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon