• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lunch spot?

Zip

I will be heading south from the airport and wonder where to catch a nice lunch.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

My vote would be Fiesta del Mar in Mountain View, right off the Shoreline exit of 101. Authentic and interesting mexican food... mmm.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

There are so many great places. Check out www.jatbar.com

You could go to Burrito Alley on B street in San Mateo. On the North side is La Pinata (really good mexican hole in the wall). On the south side is Santa Ramen, really really good ramen place. Both are extremely cheap but at Santa expect to wait. I waited at Santa for 45 minute last time but it was worth it.

I will be heading south from the airport and wonder where to catch a nice lunch.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

The direct route would be highway 280 south to 85 south to 101 south unless you're taking the coast route (a longer drive). If you are into Mexican, Fiesta del Mar is good, but it's on 101, not 280. Estrellita on San Antonio off El Camino is close to 280 and the food is more unique. They always have 4 or 5 specials, regional (Chiapas). Pibil chicken, mole poblano, chiles en nogada, green pipian, etc., are daily occurances. Now, in October, they have dia de los muertos food, specializing in various moist tamales. It's my fav Mex place in the mid-to-south bay area.

Sue's on Castro in Mountain View is great Indian, and there are many good ethnic places on that street.

Have fun!

John S.

Which way do you plan on driving to Carmel and about how long after leaving the airport do you want to eat?

(SFO is located right off Hwy 101, so unless you were planning on crossing over to coastal Hwy 1, the most direct route would be to drive south on 101 before deciding whether to split off at 85S and Hwy17 to Santa Cruz or else continuing on 101 south of San Jose and then heading west to the Monterrey Peninsula).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Which way do you plan on driving to Carmel and about how long after leaving the airport do you want to eat?

(SFO is located right off Hwy 101, so unless you were planning on crossing over to coastal Hwy 1, the most direct route would be to drive south on 101 before deciding whether to split off at 85S and Hwy17 to Santa Cruz or else continuing on 101 south of San Jose and then heading west to the Monterrey Peninsula).

I think we will stay south on 101. As our plane lands at 11. Maybe we should think San Mateo area. Hate to eat too late as may interfer with dinner. ( It is always abt the food, right?). Have eaten at Viogner in the past. First time was very good.. 2nd, not as good.