• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instantly aged wine

FistFullaRoux

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...2^29677,00.html

The upshot of the story: Through high voltage and something called an ion exchange membrane, newer wines can be mellowed to take on the characteristics of a more aged wine.

What do you think? Hogwash or potential revolution?

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Reduction-oxidation reactions are the stuff of aging, there's no question about that.

However, if you are doing this in a minute (kinetic-control) vs over years (thermodynamic control) you are bound to have some different chemistry going on. It's not like you're just folding proteins or electrolysing water.

I think some of the simple compound chemistry changes, things dealing with malleic acid and the like, will be the same between old wine and new wine. But more complex things dealing with some of the proteins breaking down, etc... those won't be quite the same. It'll be a reasonable facsimile, but a '72 Chateau le Hoity-Toity will still have a better depth of flavor over a '04 McVino le Blech run through the boot-camp-inator.

But, if it helps bring higher quality wine to more people, I tend to support its use in controlled areas.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

But wouldn't high voltage seem to make far more of a chemical change to the wine than the magnetic stuff? And it would seem that voltage induced change would be permanent. Whether it's good or not is a different story.

And note, this guy claims to make (if I understood the article correctly) the wine "age" versus "seem like it's been breathing for 30 minutes", as others have claimed. You would be caramelizing sugars, at least it seems.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I'm not the least bit skeptical. In fact I'm such a believer in this system that I am going to drive tomorrow morning to Eilat, there so at the same time I wait for this low-voltage gizmo to age my wine I can see with my own eyes the re-coming of Moses and the second parting of the Red Sea!

A physicist friend at the University of Haifa tells me that in order to attain the voltage, wattage and amperage required for such an effect (on either wine or a second parting of the Red Sea) it would take an instantaneous surge equivalent to the amount of electricity that is generated by the city of Los Angeles in a full year.

Lord love a duck! I'm all for miracles.

In 15 seconds it transforms the cheapest, youngest plonks into fine old draughts as fruit flavours are enhanced and rough edges are mellowed, he says.

Oh, my God! :laugh::laugh: I was just thinking, "Surely this guy doesn't drink wine or he'd know that young plonk becomes old plonk," and then I reached the clincher.

Although Mr Tanaka may be on the verge of a crucial contribution to the history of wine, he confesses he does not like the stuff. He began his work on fruit juices and switched to alcoholic beverages only to soften the aftertaste of a particularly rough type of sake he drinks.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 3 months later...

article here

Tanaka claims to have perfected a machine that can transform a bottle of just-fermented Beaujolais Nouveau into a fine, mellow wine in seconds, all by zapping it with a few volts of electricity.  "We can now electrolyze young wine and ship bottles of fine wine out in no time at all," declared Tanaka, president of Japanese startup Innovative Design and Technology ... "Think of the savings we'll make. Shorter production time, no need for storage, no need to invest in barrels," he said.  Wine connoisseurs are skeptical of the whole idea of immediate aging, but Tanaka's company is not the only laboratory chasing instant wine.

An interesting article .. even nonbelievers will be interested in his results ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Let us not forget the infamous Wine Clip.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'm one of those people who believes that much of what we read and see in science fiction will one day come to pass. As an example, one day we really will be able to have Scotty "beam us up" and indeed laser surgery perfomed by robots will go a long way in extending both the quality and duration of life. Science fiction, when well written by intelligent people is a superb projection of the current state of knowledge into the future and thus actually has a chance at becoming a reality .

On the other hand, give me New Age nonsense and I scoff, for much of this kind of thinking is distinctly akin to the illogic of alchemy and the passionate but wholly unrealistic quest for the Holy Grail. In a phrase, at least from the Dark Ages the search for the instant panacea that will cure all from which we ail and solve all of humankind's problems has been a basically anti-intellectual groping in order to avoid confronting the sometimes impenetrable realities of the universe.

This latest "thingie" (I can think of no better word) is akin to the magnets that go around the neck of bottles or those that we place at their base to pass an electric current through them. As to that, let it be noted that wine, can be affected electrically in the manner claimed by the inventors of these gadgets only by generating the power involved in the mass cycletron at CERN, near Geneva and that involves some 10,000,000,000 volts and an amperage high enough to supply power to the city of San Francisco for the next forty - fifty years. In a nutshell, electrical or magnetic power lower than that ain't gonna do nuttin to wine!!!! True, you can insert a couple of electrodes into a liquid such as wine or water and boil it but that's not quite the same as is being claimed here!

This particular thingie (I do like that word, almost as much in fact as I like the sound of 'lawsy, lawsy') is said not only to age wine but to convert Beaujolais Nouveau into a "more full-bodied, compled wine" and make your Sauvignon Blanc dryer, all according to the inventor by breaking up "water clusters". I am tempted to use a minor vernacular cuss-word here but I will avoid that. Let me say instead that I consider this claim and statement abject bovine manure. (Should anyone have trouble converting "bovine manure" into the vernacular, drop me an IM.)

Um...no.

With CERN's power, you could transmute the nuclei to make new elements from the existing ones (yes, we're talking alchemy).

All you need to ionize atoms is a few hundred or a few thousand volts. About the potential of a typical static shock, though to do it continuously to a large volume of liquid takes an apparatus about the size of the ones in the pictures.

The theory seems to be that the current creates different hydration structures more rapidly than the random collisions and adsorptive catalysis that might take place in the bottle or a cask.

The question is, are they stable, and is the wine output differentiable from that input?

And is it really better? Because if you can create good stuff you can also create bad stuff (compare the process of hydrolyzing oil by bubbling hydrogen gass through it; you get shelf-stable shortening, but you also get trans-fats, which are something that natural hydrolyzing methods - catalysis in plants and animals - do not produce).

I don't doubt that the taste is altered. I doubt that it's really as good as they say it is. However, I'm game, and if I could put a few clams into the investment end of this gadget, I'd do it. I'll lose no sleep over making overpriced old wines redundant.

I'm one of those people who believes that much of what we read and see in science fiction will one day come to pass. As an example, one day we really will be able to have Scotty "beam us up" and indeed laser surgery perfomed by robots will go a long way in extending both the quality and duration of life. Science fiction, when well written by intelligent people is a superb projection of the current state of knowledge into the future and thus actually has a chance at becoming a reality .

That will be real bad for the price of wine as I will jump in my time machine and buy as much 1900, 1945, 1961, 1982 etc Bordeaux as I can. There will be huge demand created by all us time travelers