• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to buy Salt Cod?

ludja

Any ideas on where to buy salt cod out here? I'm hoping to find a source close by to me on the Peninsula between, say, Santa Clara and Redwood City. An Italian deli would be one likely spot, but they are in short supply around here to my knowledge.

In the past I've seen it for sale in a market in Half Moom Bay and I suspect I might be able to get it in SF at Molinari's, but it would be nice to find a closer source. That being said, I'd appreciate any suggestions even if they are in SF.

I checked in at one market down here, but I wasn't even sure where in the store to look for it. My sister back in Boston has been regaling me with tales of cod cakes and I've developed a hankering to make some. It's still pretty easy to find in regular supermarkets in CT and MA given populations of Italians and Portuguese and its use in New England cod cakes.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Most supermarkets of the high end variety have the kind in the wooden box, in the fish section. I get mine at LaSalette in Sonoma.

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I haven't found a good place to buy salt cod so I've just been making it. Get some black cod fillets, take out the pin bones, remove the skin, and pack them in salt in a tub and put it in the fridge. After 3-5 days or so you'll have exactly what you're looking for. You can dust off the salt and leave the fish in the fridge more or less forever hanging from the back of a shelf.

ludja, I think Draeger's carries it. They're in Menlo Park and also, I believe, Los Altos. (Or Los Gatos. I get them confused.) They will undoubtedly charge you an arm and a leg for it, but they'll probably have it. The Oakville Grocery at the Stanford Shopping Center also might well have it.

In San Francisco, the various Lucca delis (one on Valencia, one in the Marina) would be a good bet, too.

Ratto's in downtown Oakland. Not sure if that works, distance wise, but a great old Italian grocery.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas so far.

Interesting idea to make it oneself. Your post, Melkor, jogged my memory that Judy Rodgers has a whole discussion of this in "The Zuni Cookbook". Good to know that it's 'doable', in a practical sense. I would like to try this some time; especially after trying out what I can buy around here in order to do the taste comparison myself.

Practically, I may first check out Draegers or Andronico's; I'll report back here if they have it.

I was hoping that someone would pop up with some great hidden Italian grocery or deli on the Peninsula that I wasn't aware of, because it would be a great thing all around, but thanks for the reminder on Lucca's in the city, info on Ratto's in Oakland and also the Spanish Table.

I didn't know of the last two purveyor's and am excited to check them out sometime when I'm in the area.

Does La Salette actually have some formal retail, winesonoma, or as a 'regular' are you just able to buy some from the kitchen?

Thanks again!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Any well stocked ethnic market that caters to a Caribbean / Hispanic (but not Mexican) or Portuguese / Brazilian population.

Thanks for the info. I definately knew of the Portuguese connection, but not the others.

I don't know to what extent it still exists, but there is/was a Portuguese community on the other side of the Santa Cruz Mountains near the coast in fishing communities like Half Moon Bay and also in other coastal towns like Pescardero. Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero was started by Portugues immigrants around the turn of the century to serve the nearby logging community. As mentioned above, I have seen salt cod in one of the small older groceries that are on Main St. in Half Moon Bay.

Near Sunnyvale/Palo Alto I think most of the Hispanic markets are Mexican, but thanks again for the information.

La Salette will sell it retail to you.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321