• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"What is the Sound of One Hand Shopping?"

Pontormo

Is it possible to take on the subject of pride and prejudice (so to speak) that sits at the heart of snobbery that is then displayed in the ways we choose to live our daily lives. . .without ending up in this trough?

Or does the nature of the world make the trough just where one ends up in the doing of the thing.

We're talking about subjective personal reactions. For me, it's a matter of tone of address--what I gather of the writer's attitude. If I detect a snobbery equal to or even surpassing that of the object of scorn, it turns me off. I love good satire, even vituperation that is proportionate to its subject, coming from a mind whose quality I admire; if it's just a pot/kettle slanging match, I lose interest.

I wonder at this idea of satire. It does not seem that it is anywhere near as easy to give a formula for writing satire as it is to give a formula for writing a good rhetorical piece or even a decent fictional piece.

Attitude does tell, the underlying intent, hopefully.

But then again, the angling of even a singular phrase into this shape or that - would give each reader a different sort of frisson (if it gave them a frisson at all).

Subjective, yes. Probably the taste of satire to a person might be every bit as subjective as the taste of a meal.

What I enjoy about satire is the boldness and brightness of its flavors.

But boldness of flavor can be bitter to some, who prefer a gentler taste or texture.

Sort of like a flamenco dancer. As opposed to a tawdry stripper.

Tastes.

Perhaps the whole thing comes down to whether the author considers him or herself to be as human as those within the satire.

Let me try to grab this thing and bring it back into the realm of food and "food-writing".

Can anyone tell me of writers they have read who *do* write of the food "scene" satirically, and what your thoughts and feelings are on how they present the scene?

I think funny things have some kernal of truth to them. The poser types described don't eat at Chez Panisse; it's far too "so 10 minutes ago" and has been for years. In fact it's a surprisingly nice crowd, well turned out in a casual way and eager to have a swell dining experience. I have to assume the satirist did not understand what he saw so he made up a "scene" that would be easy to poke fun at.

Edited by rancho_gordo (log)

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Why don't we get to see more of this I wonder? I would rather read this than watch a fast-food training video from some years ago that spoofs how to cook a dead hamburger. It would seem to be something that would bring a more fuller thought level. About food.

Both are amusing in their own way.

More fuller? :unsure:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Why don't we get to see more of this I wonder? I would rather read this than watch a fast-food training video from some years ago that spoofs how to cook a dead hamburger. It would seem to be something that would bring a more fuller thought level. About food.

Both are amusing in their own way.

More fuller? :unsure:

:biggrin: Yeah. More fuller. That's my best try at proper English.

In agreement, both are amusing in their own way.

I tend to be attracted to the philosophic side of things, even though my language skills sometimes don't support the image. :rolleyes:

I just had a recent situation where something I thought was satiric and acceptable and about food was deemed to not be acceptable. Therefore my crankiness. Life goes on.

I think funny things have some kernal of truth to them. The poser types described don't eat at Chez Panisse; it's far too "so 10 minutes ago" and has been for years. In fact it's a surprisingly nice crowd, well turned out in a casual way and eager to have a swell dining experience. I have to assume the satirist did not understand what he saw so he made up a "scene" that would be easy to poke fun at.

This could be true, too. In a world where pressure is on for everyone to "perform" (and this has been shown recently to be true in journalism circles as well as on Wall Street) there could be people writing things that they have not fully lived with or in enough to comment on accurately.

Guess that situation would be ripe for a good satire, too. :wink:

Kernel of truth. Yes.

Though the thought did come to mind today to question whether the "kernel of truth" that someone holds having been raised in a "low-context" Western culture as opposed to a "high -context" Eastern culture might be very different, particularly in terms of what might be considered to be funny. I don't really know, though.

Mention was made previously about David Sedaris' writings.

Is he guilty of the same sin, therefore ending up "down in the trough alongside all the other publicity hogs", also?

No. Sedaris skewers himself as much, if not more than his targets. His best stuff has a delicate balance of humor and poignancy that elevates it from mere satire.

Edit: coherence. :rolleyes:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme