• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: chrisamirault - Place Settings

I dunno about the name, but I'm pretty sure its not the family name -- but I can ask the next time we're there! As for the bibimbap, I also wondered if you could cook the rice in the dolsot -- but how do you cover it? We really crave the NurungJi!!

I have one with a cover. I'll snap a photo of it.

In the old days (this one is for soup) the crust was inevitable with the types of pots rice was made in. I have a photo of another pot too. Leftover nurungji was also dried and deep fried, sprinkled with sugar and eaten as a snack. People still do it. Actually you can buy nurungji!

Water can be added to a pot with nurungji crust and cooked to make a gruel. My kids love the stuff. It has a nutty taste.

Back to to the blog. The thing I love about the East Coast is, well, what for me looks like old Americana.

Edited by touaregsand (log)

It's you, about 30 seconds before you went under the needle for your first tatt. Remember?

Dude, the peeler bars have gone the way of Ike! The culture of seafood in town isn't what it used to be. There are lots of restaurants that serve seafood (and I hope that we'll make it to a clam shack this weekend), and a few oyster bars, but there are no good seafood shops anymore. I buy virtually all my seafood from Whole Foods....

And I confess that I don't understand what you mean by "shrimp or chix"...?

Just a cheap and lascivious pun, Chris. Up here, peeler bars also refer to strip clubs, not unlike the ones you drive by on the way to work. Unfortunately though, it's a federal law here that they have to dance to Celine Dion, Anne Murray or Robert Goulet. No substitutions.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Dude, the peeler bars have gone the way of Ike! The culture of seafood in town isn't what it used to be. There are lots of restaurants that serve seafood (and I hope that we'll make it to a clam shack this weekend), and a few oyster bars, but there are no good seafood shops anymore. I buy virtually all my seafood from Whole Foods....

And I confess that I don't understand what you mean by "shrimp or chix"...?

Just a cheap and lascivious pun, Chris. Up here, peeler bars also refer to strip clubs, not unlike the ones you drive by on the way to work. Unfortunately though, it's a federal law here that they have to dance to Celine Dion, Anne Murray or Robert Goulet. No substitutions.

Ah, you got me. I thought you meant peel 'n' eat shrimp; I had a NOLA flashback I guess. Always got food on the brain....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I didn't have any kale in the house but I had chorizo and chicken thighs so we used them together with some lemon in honor of your blog!

I have to say, I was looking forward to tuning in this morning until I saw the tongue! yikes, not what I want as I'm sipping my morning tea! haha!

Wow, didn't know the tongue was gonna provoke such reactions! Y'all ought to stick yours out in the mirror sometime; that sensuous little muscle, without which we all would lose interest in things eGullet, is a bumpy, strange thing! Know the tongue, love the tongue, embrace the tongue!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I didn't have any kale in the house but I had chorizo and chicken thighs so we used them together with some lemon in honor of your blog!

I have to say, I was looking forward to tuning in this morning until I saw the tongue! yikes, not what I want as I'm sipping my morning tea! haha!

....How did Dean know that was a tongue

and ya want a wake up call????

post #559

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=67661&st=540

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Silence on the diner question, eh? No diner fans out there?!?

Plenty of diners here, I think Jersey is the capital of diners. I always have breakfast at a diner no matter what time of day, I do not know why but it is always breakfast or a cheeseburger with a sunnyside up egg on it.

Anyone a fan of Portuguese food? I know that johnnyd is, based on his foodblog.

yes, please, chris!! my stepdad was portugese from new bedford. he used to make portugese toast but never shared the recipe with me - any ideas?

They're called "rabanadas" and pretty common in Portuguese bakeries. Do a google search..there's 1 recipe in English (though I've had it with crusted bread).

I'd link but my copy and paste doesn't seem to work.

Sorry--took me awhile to get on over to eGullet this morning! Definite diner fan over here ...

After some morning difficulties involving keys and cars ( :hmmm: ), I arrived at the office to meet the Fire Marshal for an inspection! Now I have a bit of time to present breakfast. Since I didn't have a chance to eat before I left, I decided to stop at the Modern Diner in Pawtucket (where Lulu's school is).

gallery_19804_437_47518.jpg

The Modern Diner is one of the classic New England diner restaurants. Do any of y'all have local diners? I'd love to hear about 'em or see 'em!

Now *that* is what I call a diner. What a beauty. Actually, I do think I've seen pictures of the exterior of that one before, but never so many great shots of the interior--thanks for those! Looks very reminiscent of the one in Watertown MA I used to frequent with my buddies--or at least my memories of same, because it appears it has been snazzed up a bit since last I went there.

There are apparently a very few classic Pullman-style diner buildings out here in California--I haven't seen or been to any of these yet, though there's been several notices of that authentic-looking Truckee establishment here on eGullet. The more common style for diners out here seems to be the 1950's "Googie" look ... or little storefronts that, back East, would be called coffee shops rather than diners, though the food is definitely of the same ilk (often with the addition of Americanized Mexican favorites like taco plates and such; but as you know, such regional variations on diner cuisine are common, such as the terrific moussaka that turns up on the menus of Greek-run diners in the New York Metro area).

Meanwhile here in San Diego, it looks like the diner dining niche has been substantially filled by the large number of mom-n-pop taquerias ... plus the bazillions of fast-food burger joints (this is, after all, the corporate headquarters for Jack in the Box).

it's a federal law here that they have to dance to Celine Dion, Anne Murray or Robert Goulet. No substitutions.

:laugh: Just spit tea all over the new laptop

Sorry.

But once you've seen the thong-tied drop trou to 'Snowbird', or the unintentionally ironic 'All of Me', you'll never go back--behold the nubility oblige at Peeler Bar A and Peeler Bar B.

PS: Constant Dining Companion was looking over my shoulder at the Tongue Art. I posed the question. She answered, 'Joan Rivers' leftovers.'

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

PS: Constant Dining Companion was looking over my shoulder at the Tongue Art. I posed the question. She answered, 'Joan Rivers' leftovers.'

GROSS. And so true. Wow. I am laughing so hard over here. :laugh:

Speak of the devil (no pun intended)...click!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Chris, there's a diner right around the corner from me -- a Polish diner -- but it isn't an actual diner car. Anyway, it's called Teresa's, and I covered it in my foodblog.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think maybe the real rail car diners are an eastern thing?

The only genuine diner in MN is Mickeys in St Paul. It was built in NJ and shipped here by rail in the late 30's.

There was a show on either FoodTV, Discovery or Travel Channel devoted to diners that was really interesting.

SB (wishes we had more)

yes, please, chris!!  my stepdad was portugese from new bedford.  he used to make portugese toast but never shared the recipe with me - any ideas?

They're called "rabanadas" and pretty common in Portuguese bakeries. Do a google search..there's 1 recipe in English (though I've had it with crusted bread).

I'm writing down the name so that I can try to find them. Report to follow!

Now *that* is what I call a diner. What a beauty. Actually, I do think I've seen pictures of the exterior of that one before, but never so many great shots of the interior--thanks for those! [snip] The more common style for diners out here seems to be the 1950's "Googie" look ... or little storefronts that, back East, would be called coffee shops rather than diners, though the food is definitely of the same ilk (often with the addition of Americanized Mexican favorites like taco plates and such; but as you know, such regional variations on diner cuisine are common, such as the terrific moussaka that turns up on the menus of Greek-run diners in the New York Metro area).

Thanks, Ellen! I appreciate it. I really like the Googie stuff, too (not surprisingly). There also are a good number of Greek-run diners in Milwaukee; there's one on Capital Drive called the Riverbrook that had a great breakfast, I remember.... Speaking of NY diners,

Chris, there's a diner right around the corner from me -- a Polish diner -- but it isn't an actual diner car. Anyway, it's called Teresa's, and I covered it in my foodblog.

That's right, Michael, I remember that! For those of you that missed it, click here for Michael's foodblog.

I'm enjoying the blog Chirs, however  I was sidetracked to the 9 page thread on StudioKitchen thanks to your wife.

Yeah, no kidding! Shola's stuff just looks absolutely amazing.... I really feel like that experience must be remarkable. I'm hoping to get that scheduled soon!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Huge fan of all things vintage here. I love your ice crusher-saw one at a shop around the corner the other day, so now I'm inspired to see how much they want for it. I'm noticing your curtains, radio, your kitchen seems vintage inspired. Love those old diner photos. I really didn't think the originals existed any more, as we live in the land of repros! I have a lovely old beehive blender that I use and cherish.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

A few thoughts about work food. Look at this pleasant scene:

gallery_19804_437_27746.jpg

Seems innocent enough: nice big fridge/freezer for staff use and the kids' beverages; coffee machine; microwave; spring water; few things here and there. But things are not nearly this normal. In fact, I would say that food here -- like food in most workplaces -- is very strange indeed.

For starters, explore the conference room table and you'll find the "broccoli," as some staff call the items in this bowl:

gallery_19804_437_21674.jpg

You can probably figure out why it's called broccoli. Why is it that work environments seem utterly anathema to healthy, decent food? And why is it that whatever food is actually around is treated with great stealth? For example, while that bowl contains the public stash, but hidden from view is the motherlode source, kept flowing thanks to the assistant director:

gallery_19804_437_46538.jpg

Notice that this particular bag of candies includes Goetz bulls eyes. Notice also that the bowl does not. This is because I must eat all of them. For example, when I noticed the one in this photograph, I went back into the room and ate it.

Now, I'm not required to buy every packet of Goetz bulls eyes in convenience stores. I never buy Goetz bulls eyes in convenience stores! So why must I eat them if they are here?

Speaking of stealth stashes:

gallery_19804_437_54407.jpg

This is the upper right hand drawer of my assistant director's desk. She buys boxes of Jelly Bellys and stores them there. She usually buys two so that she can give me one -- but I always refuse it and make her keep it there. Then, throughout the day, I go to her desk and casually pop open the drawer so's I can eat a few Bellys.

I like my job. I can buy good food and store it here in many places. I can even cook something in the kitchen or oven downstairs -- but I never do.

What is it about work that produces such food mishegas?!?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

What is it about work that produces such food mishegas?!?

In a word (or two) "comfort food" .. stress requires this type of food being kept on hand at all times but rarely visible to the kids ... as a teacher, I had to change the location of my "treasure box" (not an adult reference BTW :shock: ) from time to time when my students located it ... they may have had "candy detectors" or even GPS ways of finding my stash ... post-Halloween, of course, the stash would increase enormously ... :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The subject of food at work, and the various roles of food in our workplaces -- the workplaces of those of us whose day jobs are not in the food industry in any way -- is very interesting to me. But more on that later, perhaps.

I was a school social worker for 13 years just before my retirement, and this is so reminiscent of that! School jobs were the only ones in which I always kept candy, in both stashes, and some sitting out. Kids would come in and say, "Can I have some candy, miss??" Teachers would come into my office and collapse into the couch, and without speaking, stuff some into their mouths... :biggrin:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.