• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: chrisamirault - Place Settings

Ooo... ooo!  I have a question! 

I have a two year old and I am having a hell of a time getting her to eat meats that aren't coated and deepfried or stuffed into a casing.  She loves her veggies and cheeses, but I can't get her interested in meats... or dried beans, for that matter.  I'm worried that she's not getting enough protien.  Any suggestions?

Well, a few thoughts....

There's a lot of evidence that, in a society with an enormous amount of healthy foodstuffs available, children self-regulate their consumption of necessary foods. That's a bit controversial for some, but if you remember the first rule of kids and food ("you can't make 'em eat" -- unless you have a funnel and a plunger, I suppose), then it's actually something of a relief.

In addition, kids are seeking out control struggles all over the place, and food is one of the classic scenes of struggle. These struggles can extend for long periods of time, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to consider that body issues, eating disorders, and the like involve treating the consumption of food as an appropriate place for struggle. Finally, since they control input and output, if you engage in a food battle, they've already won. So, since you control what is available and when it's available, use the power you have. Eat at specific times; put out the food you want your child to eat (get those proteins out there); no food rewards, bribes, coersion, or anything else; if the child refuses, that's fine; when the meal is over, eating is over. Then, later, if your child is hungry, you can remind her that she chose not to eat and that she'll have more food at the next meal.

(Let me add that it's hard to say "No" to a kid you know is hungry, but of course that snack she wants proves that she's running the show: kid 1, mom 0! Having said that, a lot of folks who work with young children and food believe that implementing this system -- and utterly resisting all of the power struggles that will unfold -- takes only about three weeks. After that, most kids realize that food isn't the place to have pitched battles; instead, it's a place to share with family, have pleasure, and get nourishment. Sounds like magic -- but if you really stick to it, it works!)

Of course, if she just doesn't like the stuff, well, try something else! Maybe the texture of non-processed meat is freaking her out (that's a big issue for the 2-4 year old crowd, actually); maybe her taste buds aren't too psyched about umami. Let her eat hot dogs, but buy good ones. She's going to change her mind about food about fifty-two times in the next sixteen years anyway, so this too shall pass.

Finally: her mom is an eGulleteer, right? Maybe she has vey refined tastes! Nothing wrong with that.... :biggrin:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Great blog, do we get too see some sausage making ala the cassoulet thread.

Kohlrabi gives me the cold robbies.

(Ten points for anyone who knows the reference.)

Is that not a reference to the POGO cartoon strip with the bear. I have also heard it in the south used along the lines of the "vapours".

Of course, if she just doesn't like the stuff, well, try something else! Maybe the texture of non-processed meat is freaking her out (that's a big issue for the 2-4 year old crowd, actually); maybe her taste buds aren't too psyched about umami. Let her eat hot dogs, but buy good ones. She's going to change her mind about food about fifty-two times in the next sixteen years anyway, so this too shall pass.

Finally: her mom is an eGulleteer, right? Maybe she has vey refined tastes! Nothing wrong with that.... :biggrin:

Yeah, she really does have her mother's tastes. Last weekend I asked her if she wanted Cheerios or eggs for breakfast.... she said, "I want bacon." Mommy's girl.

Clickity

But, as my pants will tell you, you shouldn't live on bacon. I do think that it's a texture thing tho'. I made some really nice spinach meatballs (beef/pork/veal mix) last night and after eating around them for a while, she gave them a shot and seemed to enjoy them. She is only two...

I'm going to calm down about it and be happy that she'll eat around a french fry to get to her cottage cheese and baby carrots.

Yeah, she really does have her mother's tastes.  Last weekend I asked her if she wanted Cheerios or eggs for breakfast.... she said, "I want bacon."  Mommy's girl.

She's still drinking milk, right? Plenty of protein there. I wouldn't sweat it.

As Chris points out, her food preferences will change drastically over the next 20 years or so, at approximately 6 month intervals. About a year ago my 12 year old daughter announced that she was vegetarian. I had to point out that vegetarians actually eat vegetables, and that she was really more of a "breadarian". Except for fried chicken and country ham, of course. :wink: Oh, and kobe beef carpaccio and foie gras.

Little kids routinely alternate days of heavy eating with days of near starvation. Again, nothing to worry about.

Hey, where are those baby pictures I keep asking about? Isn't anybody listening to me?

Can you pee in the ocean?

Yeah, she really does have her mother's tastes.  Last weekend I asked her if she wanted Cheerios or eggs for breakfast.... she said, "I want bacon."  Mommy's girl.

She's still drinking milk, right? Plenty of protein there. I wouldn't sweat it.

Oh yeah. Lots of milk flowin' in there.

(stands up, applauding)

Very well said! We do exactly this at home: provide breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks in between at specific times with healthy, varied foods. If they eat, great. If they don't, no problem - but no more food until the next mealtime. It's amazing how many new foods both of the boys have tried and liked since starting this up and how many struggles it has eliminated completely. You really can't force a child to eat something, but you can set things up so a child is more likely to choose foods that are nutritious and healthy.

I'm also a huge fan of cooking with children. There is so much going on when you cook together: reading, math, sensory input of all kinds (balancing flour in a measuring cup, learning how to hold a spoon while stirring, the texture and feel of foods themselves), plus the added benefit of a resulting dish that is exponentially more appealing, simply because the child helped make it. The sensory aspect has been a big one here - kneading dough gives deep pressure, swiping a bit of cake batter helps ease sensory defensiveness, pounding cookie dough is great sensory input all around (if potentially a huge, fun, mess). I love making "Aggression Cookies" with both the boys, as they taste even better the more you pound, mash, and mangle the dough :smile:

No real questions, just a quick round of applause before you carry on.

Ooo... ooo!  I have a question! 

I have a two year old and I am having a hell of a time getting her to eat meats that aren't coated and deepfried or stuffed into a casing.  She loves her veggies and cheeses, but I can't get her interested in meats... or dried beans, for that matter.  I'm worried that she's not getting enough protien.  Any suggestions?

Well, a few thoughts....

There's a lot of evidence that, in a society with an enormous amount of healthy foodstuffs available, children self-regulate their consumption of necessary foods. That's a bit controversial for some, but if you remember the first rule of kids and food ("you can't make 'em eat" -- unless you have a funnel and a plunger, I suppose), then it's actually something of a relief.

In addition, kids are seeking out control struggles all over the place, and food is one of the classic scenes of struggle. These struggles can extend for long periods of time, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to consider that body issues, eating disorders, and the like involve treating the consumption of food as an appropriate place for struggle. Finally, since they control input and output, if you engage in a food battle, they've already won. So, since you control what is available and when it's available, use the power you have. Eat at specific times; put out the food you want your child to eat (get those proteins out there); no food rewards, bribes, coersion, or anything else; if the child refuses, that's fine; when the meal is over, eating is over. Then, later, if your child is hungry, you can remind her that she chose not to eat and that she'll have more food at the next meal.

(Let me add that it's hard to say "No" to a kid you know is hungry, but of course that snack she wants proves that she's running the show: kid 1, mom 0! Having said that, a lot of folks who work with young children and food believe that implementing this system -- and utterly resisting all of the power struggles that will unfold -- takes only about three weeks. After that, most kids realize that food isn't the place to have pitched battles; instead, it's a place to share with family, have pleasure, and get nourishment. Sounds like magic -- but if you really stick to it, it works!)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I have a two year old and I am having a hell of a time getting her to eat meats that aren't coated and deepfried or stuffed into a casing.  She loves her veggies and cheeses, but I can't get her interested in meats... or dried beans, for that matter.   I'm worried that she's not getting enough protien.  Any suggestions?

One word: Ketchup!

My 2yr old grandson eats it on everything, and eats everything with it on, including some not-too-appetizing combos.

SB (ketchup on cotttage cheese anyone?) :shock:

Edited by srhcb (log)

It's been raining all day here and figures to rain continuously through tomorrow at least, I think. Has the rain made it up there, and do you eat differently when it's chilly and rainy than when it's mild and sunny? I think I do; I probably have more carbs to try to get more energy.

Thanks for the good wishes, Michael! As for your question: we definitely lean to stews and soups in weather like this, hearty stuff. I also don't like cooking outside, even under the porch, when it's so lousy. We have a very large grape arbor in the backyard that is nice to eat under when it's decent, and sometimes we'll eat on the porch. But it's a drag to have rain sprayed in the face during dinner....

You really can't force a child to eat something, but you can set things up so a child is more likely to choose foods that are nutritious and healthy.

Thanks, tejon! I really think you've captured it in this sentence.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, and happy foodblogging! :wub:

Thanks!!

OK, back to dinner:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

My anniversary gift to you is a trip for two to StudioKitchen. Mmmm..

Well, since you need exactly 8 or 10 at StudioKitchen, let philadining or myself know if you would like either of us to save you two a spot during our next visit. I seem to make it there once a month and philadining has been averaging 2 visits/month. :shock::rolleyes:

Great Blog!

Cheers

Percy

Tonight was bibimbap night. A few preliminaries. Lulu, our eight year old daughter, is here in our house for the next 3 1/2 days. She's what we in early childhood ed call a "back-n-forth kid," living here half the week and the other half with her mom on the other side of town. Melissa, Lulu grabbed the camera and accommodated your wish! Here's Yoko:

gallery_19804_437_21002.jpg

This is my prized apron from the Tate Modern in London, very prominently featuring Yoko Ono's ass. There's really nothing more to say, is there? Does anyone else have a really great apron?

As usual, the cook gets first provisions. As noted earlier, I can't find soju anywhere around here, so here's my libation in process, a caipirinha following johnnyd's excellent method. The lime chunks have been sugared and muddled:

gallery_19804_437_37195.jpg

I wanted to include the fantastic Ice-O-Mat, a great example of midcentury modern design, in the photo. This thing crushes ice pronto, cost two bucks at some dope's yard sale, and does a better job than any blender I've ever found. In many ways, industrial design concerning kitchen equipment came to a screeching halt about thirty years ago... :sad:

I also popped open a bag of Korean treats called "Goguma."

gallery_19804_437_44729.jpg

I loved the shape, sort of fat little spiral funnels. They tasted malty but not too sweet, a nice foil for my drink.

As you can guess, now that Lulu is in the house, we try to make sure that there is something on the table for her to eat as an acknowledgment of less adventurous tastes. She loves rice and tried the rest of the evening meal (shiitake mushrooms good, bibimbap a bit too hot but ok), but she also had an apple and...

gallery_19804_437_60430.jpg

These little MFers are one of our very few concessions to processed foods. I find it dismaying to say this, but these Tyson frozen chicken things are better than any of the natural ones we've tried, which are soggy, spongy, and generally sucky. The popcorn ones are too doughy, but they didn't have the "tenders" (more like strips) last shopping trip. Tomorrow night, the meal is Lulu's favorite, but tonight we've giving the stockholders at Tyson a bump.

OK, to the cooking. Here's the bibimbap mise en place:

gallery_19804_437_17200.jpg

Shiitake, carrot namuru, bean sprout namuru, beef, pickled daikon, and storebought seaweed salad. (I also julienned a few scallions.) The first four items were great; the daikon was... off, and the seaweed salad had been colored a very odd green and tasted fakey. We ended up tossing the rest of both packages after dinner. I also put out a pickle tray:

gallery_19804_437_9986.jpg

Kimchi, cucumber oshinko, and the off daikon. Finally, here are the dolsots!

gallery_19804_437_43793.jpg

I hope you appreciate all the elbow grease required to make the inside of that oven shine so bright. Anyway, the dolsots. I got them today, two granite ones for $20/each. I posted a panicky note in the cook-off but didn't get a response, so I stuck 'em in a 500F oven for 30 minutes, which seem to do the trick. A quick splash of sesame oil and in went the Nishiki rice:

gallery_19804_437_21402.jpg

It crisped up some, but I didn't push it down (should have done that, I think, right?) and didn't leave it for long enough -- we were hungry!! Here is dolsot bibimbap ready to go, with the other items and an egg yolk in the middle of both.

gallery_19804_437_14392.jpg

Dinner is served!

gallery_19804_437_1090.jpg

Last but certainly not least, Bebe enjoyed carrots and a good dose of Nishiki rice:

gallery_19804_437_4817.jpg

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

what brand is that teapot Chris?

Why anyone buys non-Korean ramen is beyond my ken....

I've use to like the janpanese stuff but I can't stand it anymore. I read the salt content of Ramen last month and I no longer buy it (for me). My son love the stuff. We give it to him as a prize when he's been good.

I've also tried vietnamese pho (instant) and some chinese thing but they were pretty bad. BTW, Great pics!!!

I've also tried vietnamese pho (instant) and some chinese thing but they were pretty bad.  BTW, Great pics!!!

Thanks! I did once find a great instant pho from a store in Boston, but haven't found any since then.

You know, those ramen have about 400% of the RDA of sodium in them. I really have tried to cut back lately as a result....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

I just tucked in Lulu and talked with her about dinner tomorrow night. She's not too psyched about lamb stew, so I think we're going with something else known as "Everything." More on that tomorrow, but in the meanwhile, here's a teaser: remind you of anyone?

gallery_19804_437_51328.jpg

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

This is my prized apron from the Tate Modern in London, very prominently featuring Yoko Ono's ass. There's really nothing more to say, is there? Does anyone else have a really great apron?

Yes, we do have a thread on aprons which you began, Chris! That is how I became acquainted with you and your writing and intellect ... the thread is right here Let's see your aprons, I'm too sexy for my ...

Thanks for wearing Yoko's ass on your blog, Chris! Takes a certain amount of manliness to pull this off ... by the way, can you tell us about your tattoos (from your photo)?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You know, those ramen have about 400% of the RDA of sodium in them. I really have tried to cut back lately as a result....

i've always wondered, though--that must be the case if you drink all the broth, which i don't. i usually eat the noodles and whatever vegetables i put in there, and dump most of the broth.

at least that's my excuse. especially since i found a brand that's not fried, so it's also not full of saturated fat...

One word: Ketchup!

My 2yr old grandson eats it on everything, and eats everything with it on, including some not-too-appetizing combos.

SB (ketchup on cotttage cheese anyone?) :shock:

:laugh: we are convinced the only reason my niece likes french fries is because they are the best delivery system for ketchup.

gallery_19804_437_21002.jpg

NICE INK

I just tucked in Lulu and talked with her about dinner tomorrow night. She's not too psyched about lamb stew, so I think we're going with something else known as "Everything." More on that tomorrow, but in the meanwhile, here's a teaser: remind you of anyone?

gallery_19804_437_51328.jpg

No users named rancho_gordo are there????? :wink:

Yes, we do have a thread on aprons which you began, Chris! That is how I became acquainted with you and your writing and intellect  ... the thread is right here Let's see your aprons, I'm too sexy for my ...

Thanks for wearing Yoko's ass on your blog, Chris! Takes a certain amount of manliness to pull this off ... by the way, can you tell us about your tattoos (from your photo)?

Thanks for the thread plug and the props, Mel! I appreciate it. I really like to think that wearing Yoko Ono's ass is a testament to my character, though I'm skeptical; I also really like to write "Yoko Ono's ass," and am grateful for the opportunity to do that a few more times.

As for the tattoos, well, I've got a lot of 'em! The one on my left arm is about my schizophrenic brother, who killed himself in 2001; I also have one for each daughter, and Andrea and I got matching tattoos (the one on my right wrist) when we were engaged. I've got a few others here and there, each with their own story, but none are food-related -- yet! :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

No users named rancho_gordo are there????? :wink:

Actually, to get the full effect, you'll want to translate "El Gordo" into English, colloquially.

Yes, I'd assumed you were referring to Fat Guy!!

Gorgeous dinner, I'm hungry just looking at it and my SO wants it for dinner soon!

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your brother, schizophrenia is a difficult, often misunderstood disease and must have caused you and your family countless hours/days of pain. Remember the good times. I had a family friend in high school who was both schizophrenic and a drug addict. Difficult for all, and most difficult to remember to see the person behind the disease.

After seeing the tortillas I'd forward some jalapenos if you were closer, I just picked 20 off our plants! :shock:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

For example, children really benefit from learning about weights, textures, temperatures, and other sensory components of cooking because their bodies are integrating all of their senses in this developmental stage. Squishing cookie dough between fingers, cracking an egg, or seeing if the water is "luke warm" are all very good things for little kids to do!

I did my practicum in an EC Education at GSU and I remember ways in which "hands on" learning was so cherished by the founders. Your description of the integration of the senses and using cooking to inculcate initial math skills brings back many a fond memory from that time ... Piaget, where are you now? :rolleyes: I once did an apple unit and used apple recipes, cataloging, math, science, etc. activities with the children ... food is a simple way to introduce so many skills in an appealing way!

We did have a thread here on chef tattoos and I suppose that I will locate it at some juncture ... thanks for the info on your "ink" and for the stories which accompany each ...

hopefully nothing quite this radical ... :shock:

That's among my favorite tattoos of all time!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

That's among my favorite tattoos of all time!

It requires a certain amount of "chutzpah", or nerve actually, to devote an entire extremity to a porcine creature ... the Yiddish term "chutzpah" is best translated as utter nerve or effrontery .. porcine is also called "swinish" ... end of linguistics for the evening ...