• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: chrisamirault - Place Settings

No users named rancho_gordo are there????? :wink:

Actually, to get the full effect, you'll want to translate "El Gordo" into English, colloquially.

Yeh, thats one, well #1. But there is another heres a hint 14,551

I gotcha! The man with the beans!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

No users named rancho_gordo are there????? :wink:

Actually, to get the full effect, you'll want to translate "El Gordo" into English, colloquially.

Yeh, thats one, well #1. But there is another heres a hint 14,551

I gotcha! The man with the beans!

BINGO now let sees some cassoulet :angry::laugh::raz:

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Happy Anniversary!

So I'm trying to get the full picture of RI..........the shops all have a certain similar look.......or does this just pertain to the area you've shown so far? Do you have all the modern malls just out of view from your camera?

Also, can I assume that you collect antiques or is there a specific time range that you collect thats not quite "antique" but will be soon? Is it the sixties?

Nice Caldo, dude :hmmm:

BUT... I know a "traditional" twist you will enjoy:

Collard or kale leaves are rolled extra tight into a psuedo-cigar, then julienned into strands by either a nice sharp knife or a jerry-rigged robo-coup blade turned by a crank. When thrown into the broth it turns the soup into that famous jade color.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Nice Bazookas, Chris. And it restores my faith in contemporary education that you confiscated that copy of 'Critical Pedagogy' from a wayward student. :biggrin: Looking forward to the peeler bars too, but please resolve our dilemma: shrimp or chix?

Seriously, thanks for the engaging tour of the 'Beehive of Industry' and life beyond johnny-cakes and quahogs - although we'd love to see some of them too. I read somewhere that there are more restaurants by pop in Providence than anywhere else in the States. Including lots of Italian. Any chance of a visit, or maybe to an oyster bar?

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

So I'm trying to get the full picture of RI..........the shops all have a certain similar look.......or does this just pertain to the area you've shown so far? Do you have all the modern malls  just out of view from your camera?

That's just the area you've seen so far. We have stretches (Rt 2, for example) that look just like Strip Mall U.S.A., but I happen to have snapped photos of shops in neighborhoods. Most of the good purveyors are not in strip malls, as I stop and think....

Also, can I assume that you collect antiques or is there a specific time range that you collect thats not quite "antique" but will be soon? Is it the sixties?

We outfit our home (furniture, decor, etc.) in the design style known as mid-century (1950ish) modern, but we'll stretch the boundaries to include things as early as the 1930s and can go into the early 70s. Here in RI, we're surrounded by Colonial everything, and there's a lot of really nightmarish "contemporary" stuff. At least, according to our tastes! :wink:

Nice Caldo, dude  :hmmm:

BUT... I know a "traditional" twist you will enjoy:

Collard or kale leaves are rolled extra tight into a psuedo-cigar, then julienned into strands by either a nice sharp knife or a jerry-rigged robo-coup blade turned by a crank.  When thrown into the broth it turns the soup into that famous jade color.

Thanks, johnnyd! Yeah, it didn't get very "verde"! I actually usually do that, but the very small kale leaves I had weren't lending themselves to julienne.... :hmmm: So I went for the quicker route and tried to chop it up more finely.

Nice Bazookas, Chris. And it restores my faith in contemporary education that you confiscated that copy of 'Critical Pedagogy' from a wayward student.  :biggrin:

I was wondering if anyone would notice Bazooka Joe! Actually, I teach "Philosophy of Education" in the spring, and I use that book.

Looking forward to the peeler bars too, but please resolve our dilemma: shrimp or chix?

Dude, the peeler bars have gone the way of Ike! The culture of seafood in town isn't what it used to be. There are lots of restaurants that serve seafood (and I hope that we'll make it to a clam shack this weekend), and a few oyster bars, but there are no good seafood shops anymore. I buy virtually all my seafood from Whole Foods....

And I confess that I don't understand what you mean by "shrimp or chix"...?

Seriously, thanks for the engaging tour of the 'Beehive of Industry' and life beyond johnny-cakes and quahogs - although we'd love to see some of them too. I read somewhere that there are more restaurants by pop in Providence than anywhere else in the States. Including lots of Italian. Any chance of a visit, or maybe to an oyster bar?

I'm certainly hoping to get a stuffie for your perusal, and I'm actually trying to figure out how to squeeze breakfast in on Saturday (before Lulu's soccer match) so that I can have johnnycakes. Or, rather, so that you can see some -- :raz:! So, yep, we'll be hitting some restaurants, to be sure!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Now that there are two girls in the house -- one going to elementary school on the other side of town (a two-way bilingual charter school, for those that are interested in such things) and the other to her family care provider -- a dog to walk, and two people to get to work, it's a bit more dizzifying in the a.m. :wacko: So I'm not going to have as much time this and tomorrow morning to write. Suffice it to say that this is the sort of morning for which a large, black Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee has been created!

But I do want to give you a little reward for checking in this morning (thanks!), so here's a contest. The following hangs in our dining room, and is a photo by an artist friend of ours named Mary Beth Heffernan. Care to guess what you're looking at here?

gallery_19804_437_8459.jpg

gallery_19804_437_13894.jpg

If you want a hint, click here.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

It's a pig's stomach of course.

I have the same thing in my house but not as gloriously photographed.

I drape them over the backs of chairs for a homey look. Nice to cuddle into.

Arguable as to whether they are as nice to cuddle into as Yoko's ass might be to some folks, but they don't offer that at the local butcher shop, and that would be the wrong sex for me.

Pig's stomachs are acceptable as they are completely sexless.

Or so I think.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Mary Beth Heffernan sometimes made photograph copies of Christ's loincloth made of chicken skin was something I read when I Googled her work .. and sometimes she drapes things in turkey skin ... might your art be one of those? :rolleyes:

Your photograph of her art looks likes a submarine sandwich run over by a car ... or maybe an oyster free from its shell ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Mary Beth Heffernan sometimes made photograph copies of Christ's loincloth made of chicken skin was something I read when I Googled her work .. and sometimes she drapes things in turkey skin ... might your art be one of those?  :rolleyes:

Your photograph of her art looks likes a submarine sandwich run over by a car ... or maybe an oyster free from its shell ...

You can see those turkey skin sculptures by clicking that link a few posts back -- and you'll see that this ain't that. But a good guess, Mel!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Asiana happens to be across the street from a fantastic Korean restaurant, Sun and Moon

Do you know if the restaurant is named after the sun and moon in the sky or the names of the owners. :biggrin:

For dolsot bibimbap the rice is traditionally cooked in the dolsot itself. But I really like your method.

what brand is that teapot Chris?

Why anyone buys non-Korean ramen is beyond my ken....

I've use to like the janpanese stuff but I can't stand it anymore. I read the salt content of Ramen last month and I no longer buy it (for me). My son love the stuff. We give it to him as a prize when he's been good.

I've also tried vietnamese pho (instant) and some chinese thing but they were pretty bad. BTW, Great pics!!!

I love the spicy Korean ones as well, but Original Flavor Sapporo Ramen is still my favorite. I don't eat it as much anymore because of the sodium content as well.

Inspired by your blog, I made caldo verde last night. I used Spanish chorizo in place of the Portuguese stuff. Delicious! I've made this before but it was more broth-y with chunks of potatoes. I like this version better, with the potatoes pureed. Thanks for the inspiration. Great blog!

Great looking beebimpab. I like the dolsot (granite bowl). If you are looking for the crust (NurungJi) on the rice, one sure way of getting it is to cook the rice in the bowl. Couple of resturants I go to (I've not done this because I don't like the Crust, but it is prized by a lot of the older koreans) do this.

Great looking beebimpab.  I like the dolsot (granite bowl).  If you are looking for the crust (NurungJi) on the rice, one sure way of getting it is to cook the rice in the bowl.  Couple of resturants I go to (I've not done this because I don't like the Crust, but it is prized by a lot of the older koreans) do this.

You don't like the crust! :shock: What sort of Korean are you?!??! :wink:

It's a pig's stomach of course.

Nope! Sorry!

My guess is that it's caramel or chocolate or taffy or something like that, partially solidified in a pan of some kind and then turned over.

But what about the skin-like texture towards the top of the heap? Looks like feathers or something's been plucked, I think... :blink:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

After some morning difficulties involving keys and cars ( :hmmm: ), I arrived at the office to meet the Fire Marshal for an inspection! Now I have a bit of time to present breakfast. Since I didn't have a chance to eat before I left, I decided to stop at the Modern Diner in Pawtucket (where Lulu's school is).

gallery_19804_437_47518.jpg

The Modern Diner is one of the classic New England diner restaurants. (Click here for an interesting article about diners from the Johnson and Wales Culinary Museum website.) Lulu and I have breakfast there when we've gotten out of the door early enough to do so; it's a few blocks from her school. If you've never been in a genuine diner before, here's a tour:

gallery_19804_437_33022.jpg

gallery_19804_437_8556.jpg

gallery_19804_437_47059.jpg

gallery_19804_437_38551.jpg

They make a mean egg, bacon and cheese sandwich (english muffin, natch):

gallery_19804_437_25399.jpg

This is just one of the area diners, which also include Jiggers on Route 1 in East Greenwich (great pancakes), the Seaplane Diner on Allens Ave (I pass it every morning driving to work), and the Haven Brothers diner, which is wheeled down next to City Hall every night. There was also a fantastic diner that was open all night long, the Silver Top, but I think it's lost to history.

Do any of y'all have local diners? I'd love to hear about 'em or see 'em!

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Do you know if the restaurant is named after the sun and moon in the sky or the names of the owners.  :biggrin:

For dolsot bibimbap the rice is traditionally cooked in the dolsot itself. But I really like your method.

Great looking beebimpab.  I like the dolsot (granite bowl).  If you are looking for the crust (NurungJi) on the rice, one sure way of getting it is to cook the rice in the bowl.  Couple of resturants I go to (I've not done this because I don't like the Crust, but it is prized by a lot of the older koreans) do this.

I dunno about the name, but I'm pretty sure its not the family name -- but I can ask the next time we're there! As for the bibimbap, I also wondered if you could cook the rice in the dolsot -- but how do you cover it? We really crave the NurungJi!!

Hmm I was going to say the same thing.  So sorry for not checking in earlier on your blog, Chris!  It looks like you are having lots of fun!  Thank you for taking the time this week for us!  What's for lunch?

Lunch. Um... :huh: Excellent question! Lunch for the kiddies today is chicken salad -- :blink: -- so I'll be heading out to get something, or making Nongshim.

My guess is that it's caramel or chocolate or taffy or something like that, partially solidified in a pan of some kind and then turned over.

Wrong foodstuff -- but the manipulation is correct and crucial.

But what about the skin-like texture towards the top of the heap? Looks like feathers or something's been plucked, I think... :blink:

Getting closer.... Those plucked things are actually taste buds, because...

Is that actually a tongue???

Yes, indeed! Dean gets the prize: the pleasure of knowing that he, a fellow graduate of a fine Milwaukee school, is once again top of the heap. :wink:

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory