• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant/Bar Annoyances

Rosie

My favorite is when they ask you how everything is, just as I am putting a large akward bite of food in my mouth - and then stand there and look at me waiting for an answer.

I generally nod and think to myself - there goes a little bit of your tip.

In cases like that (especially when dining alone) I've perfected giving a "thumbs up" without missing a beat, and indicate no intention of replying verbally.

I'm evil. I'll sit there with my finger in the air (indicating that I have something to say) then purposefully chew slowly then find some miniscule thing to complain about or ask the server to do (ask for a straw for my water, more ice, freshly ground pepper, something). Serves them right for being so stupid.

Which finger do you hold up???? :biggrin:

The largest pet peeve that I have is when I ask for a list of beers, and I hear "We have any beer one would want....." (or something like that) I usually ask for some beer the poor server child has never heard of (because it's not Miller or bud....). Then I hear the list of beers, WHY MUST I PLAY THIS GAME?

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

My husband and I were dining at the fine dining resturant (forget the name) at the Lodge at Kehole on Lanai. We didn't know that it was a jacket required resturant so they made my 6'4" , 250+ husband wear a jacket that they had for such and occasion. (Even though it was off season and the resturant was slow.) My husband knew that I really wanted to try the place so he suffered the humiliation of the jacket-which was quite ill fitting and ridiculous. Anyway, we order the cream of mushroom soup for the first course. Large, really large, bowls, the size of first base, were placed in front of us and we waited for the soup. The captain chatted us up about where we were from etc. Then a woman came by with a platter and silver tongs. She placed five mushrooms, though at the time I couldn't tell what they were, (they looked like snails) in the bottom of the gargantuan bowls and walked away. My husband and I looked at each other like, "what the f*&^?" and wondered what to do. About eight minutes later, another person came out with the tureen of soup and ladled it into the bowls. Oh! Now we got it! We remarked to the captain that time lapse in the presentation of the soup threw us off, and he remarked with, "Do you not have fine dining in the Bay Area?" Well the drama was just too much to take. I told my husband to take the f*&%ing jacket off and eat his meal in peace or we can walk out. We have been back to Lanai twice since then and have not returned to that resturant and there are only about three on the island.

My husband and I looked at each other like, "what the f*&^?"  and wondered what to do.  About eight minutes later, another person came out with the tureen of soup and ladled it into the bowls.  Oh!  Now we got it!  We remarked to the captain that time lapse in the presentation of the soup threw us off, and he remarked with, "Do you not have fine dining in the Bay Area?"  Well the drama was just too much to take.  I told my husband to take the f*&%ing jacket off and eat his meal in peace or we can walk out.  We have been back to Lanai twice since then and have not returned to that resturant and there are only about three on the island.

That is about the most pretentious thing I have heard of coming out ot the islands. (Lanai is one of the few I have not been to.) I can't even imagine the jacket thing in the whole state, much less Lanai. Sheesh. THAT would have gotten a letter to the owners.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I will not go back to a restaurant if one of three things occurs.....

1.) I go to the bathroom and it is not clean.

2.) My entree arrives while I am still eating my appetizer and/or my entree arrives before/after others. (Grouped them together because they are both about timing.)

3.) The waitress/waiter acts like it is my fault there is something wrong with the food. Keeping to the "to insure perfect service" principle, I will tip higher if the server takes it back and handles the matter properly than I would have if the meal had been fine. It happens so rarely that I also take a moment to compliment them to the manager.

1. Tea is lukewarm, stingy with the water , poorly designed drippy pot and only in a bag even at most upscale places.

2. Overly chatty waitstaff.

3. Underseasoned food - hamburgers are the worst offender. Overcooked hockey pucks and who thought that the combination of very low fat and well done burgers was a good idea.

4. Tepid soup.

5. The smell of old grease in the dining room or the parking lot for that matter.

6. Reservations on voicemail only. Maybe someone will return the call - maybe not and in a timely manner. Last time this happened we got the call at 5:30 on the evening requested. We declined!!

7. Huge portions of mediocre food.

8. Being shunted to the bar when there are clearly tables available.

9. Music too loud - I am getting too old for "the scene"

10. Waitstaff who are audibly talking about schedules, hours, boyfriends, personal anything etc. I don't want to hear any of it.

When dining I like to focus on the food and my dining companions. Hence intrusions which are superfluous to the experience are just not what I want. Any violinist, flutist, accordinist, guitarist etc. etc. practicing theme from a summer place or lady of spain can play it somewhere else but not at my table. I mean what do you do. Stop eating, Stop talking, remove your hand from your dates thigh and look toward the musician with some sappy smile until they finish their jingle. Let me simply sip my wine and eat my pasta without the interruption. If I wanted a live concert that is where I would freakin be.

There is a timeline ('sequence of service', or whatever snappy title it might have now) that they are required to follow. If they don't ask you how things are at set moments (yes, it is calculated out to exact minutes), ask you if want specific drinks, appetizers, entrees, desserts, help with the menu, smothersmother etcetc, they can easily be put on probation once, and fired if it happens again.

Did you work at TGI Fridays, Cakewench? They were the most anal about this that I've ever seen as far as chains go. Sequence of service started with "60 seconds to greet" - I forget the rest. They had theories and strategies and rules out the wazoo.

Our managers always seemed to have some new crackpot fable to tell us at the beginning of every shift. "The beach ball theory," "the sinking ship theory," "the barber pole theory," ad nauseum.

I want the experiance to match what I'm spending, period. Simple enough.

Chains like chilis, fridays, applebees, etc. I avoid like the plague after working for them. You'd think waitressing would make me a more easy going customer, but I turn into megzilla and leave feeling pissed off after an hour of mental nitpicking, so I just avoid the whole experiance all together.

That said:

I second several things others have said regarding inattentiveness, cleanliness, bathrooms, etc.

Aside from all the other things I could bitch about, my biggest three:

soap in the bathroom (nearly gagged when I went into the one and only bathroom in a sushi bar to find it had no soap..."Check please!").

cigarette or cigar smoke.

If there's a fly anywhere in the place, I'm gone.

Edited by megaira (log)

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

Wow - tough crowd!

Some of you want yor plates cleared, some don't. Some of you want the server to be friendly and informative, some of you want to be left alone, some want to read the specials, some want them read to them - and so it goes.

Clean bathrooms seems to be the most common agreement.

I think every server should have to read a board like this. See what John/Jane Q Public expects. Then, if they still want to be in the business, realize that customer service is a real challenge, that when done effectively makes everyone happy!

Not to say any of your restaurants likes/dislikes are right or wrong. But there are valid explanations for almost every issue raised here (not the dirty bathrooms, though.)

Example

"Do you need change?" - yes, it's preferable that server never assume, and bring money back. But, often to manage time (yours and the server's) more effeciently, if they know whether or not you need change, it saves another trip back to the table. Check can be set aside to be cashed out later, saving cashier as well.

"How is everything?" or some such verbal check is a neccessity to make sure custmer is satisfied. Generally server should go back within first 5 min. so that if there is a problem with the food, it can be rectified. No, they should not do this when customer has just put food in mouth. :unsure: Timing is everything. But, a little humor or tactful apology should make you as a customer realize server is just doing job, and looking out for your best interests.

"What kind of beer do you want?" Well, it's certainly preferable to have written beer list on menu or table. But, again, time and distraction is often reason for this question, rather than server taking 3 min. to verbally list all 15 - 20 beers they may have. Then at the end, you say "I'll have a ___" They want to say, weren't you listening?? That wasn't on the list. Then you ask for another, and on it goes.

Better stated as "We have a wide selction of domestic and imported beers. Do you have a preference?"

Calling the customer Honey, Buddy etc. Don't have an answer for this one. It's one of my personal dislikes too - on both sides of the board. I remember cringing when I heard a new server go up to a table of patrons old enough to be her grandparents, and say "So, how are you Guys doing?" I think it's a misplaced means of trying to be on some sort of equal footing with the customer, or in some cases of trying to get too chummy in hopes of better tip. Also, a problem with general ettiqutte and communication skills. :shock:

Absolutely not necessary - and downright offensive!

In spite of all of our dislikes surrounding restaurant employee demeanor, the restaurant business continues to flourish. Most of us continue to pay people to handle our food and take part in our dining experience, generally as a matter of convenience over sensibility! :smile:

If there's a fly anywhere in the place, I'm gone.

Tough crowd indeed!

Guess alfresco is out for you. :biggrin: Our entire restaurant is open air in the temperate times of the year. Gulls, sparrows, bats, bees, ladybugs, mesquitos, generic flies, mayflies, dragonflies, butterflies, midges, and the occasional fruit fly (am I forgetting any?) all zoom through at any given moment. Meh.

And not having soap in the bathroom any worse only when eating sushi? So long as I'm only touching my chopsticks, I guess I'd manage, although not as happily, and perhaps discreetly make mention to one in charge.

And not having soap in the bathroom any worse only when eating sushi?  So long as I'm only touching my chopsticks, I guess I'd manage, although not as happily, and perhaps discreetly make mention to one in charge.

I think Meg was referring to the fact that there should be soap in a sushi restaurant (or any restaurant) so that the STAFF can wash up.

THis is a tough crowd and I wouldn't exactly call tis group John Q Public. THis is a pretty discerning group that is more used to higher end service.

As has been mentioned at other times, you expect differnet styles and levels of service at differnet levels of dining. If I was paying $200 for a dinner I would have much less tolerance for these missteps than if I was paying $30.

Bill Russell

And not having soap in the bathroom any worse only when eating sushi?  So long as I'm only touching my chopsticks, I guess I'd manage, although not as happily, and perhaps discreetly make mention to one in charge.

I think Meg was referring to the fact that there should be soap in a sushi restaurant (or any restaurant) so that the STAFF can wash up.

So never mind to that requisite hand washing station with mounted paper toweling (and possible sanitizing gel wall mounted dispenser) in each and every commercial kitchen?

I've been in plenty of restuarants where I have seen staff using the restroom and that have had signs saying that staff must wash hands after using the restroom.

Maybe its not an issue other than perception, but it still seems like an issue. A lot of dining out is a matter of perception.

Bill Russell

Maybe its not an issue other than perception, but it still seems like an issue.  A lot of dining out is a matter of perception.

Perception is everything.

Yes it may even be certainly at the expense of some professional culinarian's integrity.

And, a small thought about hand washing while in the loo, what do you think happens when you reach for that door handle after countless others did not wash? Aren't you glad that most local health departments have that requirement of hand washing stations within the food preparation area? Even in bartending there needs to be a designated sink, soap and mounted paper toweling for handwashing.

I'm sorry, was this "critique the pet peeve" thread? I believe most of us realize that our pet peeves aren't the end of the world, and we each have our own criteria for what makes a restaurant work for us, or not. That would be considered subjective, yes?

I usually skip the patio unless I'm having coffee or a beer. However, it's flies inside that I was referring to, not outside. I can't stand them in my house, I don't want to fight them off when I eat. If I somehow find myself on Survivor, I likely won't be so choosy.

(Oh & roaches. I loathe roaches.)

As I said, I expect the experiance to reflect what I'm paying for it. If I'm spending 28$ to 50$ per person per entreé, I sure as heck don't want to see a fly buzzing around my plate. You can do the nature thing if you please, I'll pack a picnic when I feel the urge. :biggrin:

The pet peeve was no soap in the bathroom.

The example was a specific situation that turned me off so badly I left.

You remark that wash areas are mandatory. So what? Just because there's a washing station does not mean people use it! :blink:

It is not such a big deal to me if it's a larger restaurant where it's obvious the staff uses a seperate restroom in the back. It's another thing entirely if I see staff going in and out of the main washroom and the soap remains unfilled.

If the staff is not concerned about washing their hands after using the restroom, or that guests might want to wash their hands after using the bathroom, what is their hygiene like elsewhere?

That, to me, indicates an all around general state of uncleanliness. That is not a place I want to eat.

In the case of the specific example: the sushi bar. There was one restroom in the restaurant.

I'm sure during the course of the day, other staff members used the restroom, did no one there figure it out on their own that it was necessary refill the soap? I don't want that mentality around my food. Who the hell knows what they don't think is necessary elsewhere.

In this case, the evidence was obvious that someone, at least our waitress (unless she was going in there to have a smoke or something), didn't consider it a priority to fill the soap. It certianly wasn't in "out of sight, out of mind" territory.

You would agree that it pays to use discretion when choosing a restaurant in which you're about to be enjoying a platter of raw fish, yes?

I'd be out of my head if I thought other people were as touchy as I am about food and handwashing. Having worked in restaurants and food service for several years, I sure as hell know better. But just as in the case of when the guy at subway lopped open his finger, then stuck a glove on over his cut (he was dripping all over like a faucet) and prepared to make our subs sans bandaid and cleanup, there are limits to what I feel are acceptable. No soap in the restroom was the pet peeve. The example I gave was a specific example that turned me off completely. I haven't eaten there since and won't bother with it again.

Edited to tone down the acidity.

Edited by megaira (log)

One of my pet peeves involves kitchen staff who feel that plating horrendously bad items on customers dishes is just fine. Went to a local steakhouse once to grab me a simple burger. This place is usually pretty good, and prides itself on serving only Certified Angus Beef.

Luckily I don't normally put tomato on my burgers. I prefer a slice of fresh onion, a squirt of Lea & Perrins and some Heinz catsup. Bear in mind that this was late September, and there was still a load of fresh, vine ripened Jersey tomatoes available at very good prices at any local market.

Instead, somebody in the kitchen actually felt that this was perfectly good to send this out on the plate with my otherwise tasty burger. A half ripened hothouse tomato top, cut crooked so that it was like a half inch thick on one side. Bear in mind that these images were not color adjusted. Someone had actually taken a paring knife and cored out the remainder of the stem and assumed that the greenish chewy rind that was left would make a dandy addition to my meal...

Top...

topslice.jpg

Bottom...

botslice.jpg

I suspect they had no idea that any true eGulleteer would dutifully wrap the offending slice, bring it home and photograph it so all the other eGulletroids would be equally appalled...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

That's a beaut...

Too bad you didn't "accidentally" photo it on top of one of the restaurant's cocktail napkins with the name of the joint on it.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

And, a small thought about hand washing while in the loo, what do you think happens when you reach for that door handle after countless others did not wash?

That's why I pull the paper towels before washing, turn the water off with a towel, and open the door with the same towel.

I keep tissues handy in case the restaurant only has those damned hand dryers that take 10 minutes to dry your hands. :angry:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I absolutely hate when a waiter/waitress removes an empty plate while others are still eating.  It drives me nuts!

I hate that, too, and usually tell them why, "Please leave my plate until my companions are done eating so they don't feel rushed."

I'm sorry, was this "critique the pet peeve" thread?  I believe most of us realize that our pet peeves aren't the end of the world, and we each have our own criteria for what makes a restaurant work for us, or not.  That would be considered subjective, yes? 

I usually skip the patio unless I'm having coffee or a beer. However, it's flies inside that I was referring to, not outside.  I can't stand them in my house, I don't want to fight them off when I eat.  If I somehow find myself on Survivor, I likely won't be so choosy.

(Oh & roaches. I loathe roaches.)

As I said, I expect the experiance to reflect what I'm paying for it.  If I'm spending 28$ to 50$ per person per entreé, I sure as heck don't want to see a fly buzzing around my plate. You can do the nature thing if you please, I'll pack a picnic when I feel the urge. :biggrin:

The pet peeve was no soap in the bathroom. 

The example was a specific situation that turned me off so badly I left.   

You remark that wash areas are mandatory.  So what?  Just because there's a washing station does not mean people use it! :blink:

It is not such a big deal to me if it's a larger restaurant where it's obvious the staff uses a seperate restroom in the back. It's another thing entirely if I see staff going in and out of the main washroom and the soap remains unfilled. 

If the staff is not concerned about washing their hands after using the restroom, or that guests might want to wash their hands after using the bathroom, what is their hygiene like elsewhere? 

That, to me, indicates an all around general state of uncleanliness. That is not a place I want to eat.

In the case of the specific example:  the sushi bar.  There was one restroom in the restaurant. 

I'm sure during the course of the day, other staff members used the restroom, did no one there figure it out on their own that it was necessary refill the soap?  I don't want that mentality around my food.  Who the hell knows what they don't think is necessary elsewhere.

In this case, the evidence was obvious that someone, at least our waitress (unless she was going in there to have a smoke or something), didn't consider it a priority to fill the soap. It certianly wasn't in "out of sight, out of mind" territory. 

You would agree that it pays to use discretion when choosing a restaurant in which you're about to be enjoying a platter of raw fish, yes?

I'd be out of my head if I thought other people were as touchy as I am about food and handwashing. Having worked in restaurants and food service for several years, I sure as hell know better.  But just as in the case of when the guy at subway lopped open his finger, then stuck a glove on over his cut (he was dripping all over like a faucet) and prepared to make our subs sans bandaid and cleanup, there are limits to what I feel are acceptable.    No soap in the restroom was the pet peeve.  The example I gave was a specific example that turned me off completely.  I haven't eaten there since and won't bother with it again.

Edited to tone down the acidity.

megaira:

That collective "you" was in reference to me? Don't be sorry, but, again welcome to eG -- discussion happens here, whether or not you appreciate another's advocating a differing point of view. :wacko: In no particular order or in any set fashion, this is my response to your lively post:

• No, I was speaking about our entire restaurant is open air. Not just the patio, upper deck or pool patio areas. And we don't have roaches, but I've seen water loving four legged rats near the dumpsters and dockage....
  • I make a point that there are in fact culinary professionals with scruples. Anyone that has an ounce of professionalism and/or integrity does in fact make use of those mandatory commercial kitchen washing stations. I see it being used each and every day where I work and use it too.
  • And the old public restrooms "test" are hardly indicative of the cleanliness of the kitchen and prep areas. Our kitchen has had at least three consecutively perfect health inspections while the broad that is mildly intoxicated ashed all over the place with her cigarette, extinguished it against the lavatory wall and proceeded to drop it to the floor, left the water running in the sink, dumped all of the dispenser soap on the counter and littered any and all paper products upon the flooring. Meh. Untidy and some filthy personal habits, but that's what our cleaning crew comes in at 3:30 a.m. to deal with.
  • As far as sushi goes, that's very old school. In fact the Itamae-san should challenge my discretion in speaking rudimentary Japanese, sushi etiquette and in the choice/selection of sushi I'm ordering! I trust in their mastered art, skill and judgment whole heartedly -- soap in restroom or not. :biggrin:

Don't be sorry, but, again welcome to eG -- discussion happens here, whether or not you appreciate another's advocating a differing point of view.

Why thank you...

Please do not get the impression that I'm sitting here hot under the collar about you disagreeing with me, as odd as I think your point of view is. :biggrin: Perplexed, perhaps... angry or put out, certianly not (hence my editing to tone down the acidity). It is certianly handled better than many message boards, on which a reply may have been "PHU(K U, I W@$H my h@|\|D$!"

It does seem, that out of all these complaints and some quite conflicting, a bit odd to point out a dislike of flies in the dining area and a problem with lack of soap in the bathrooms as unusual. Because, I'm not sure there's anyone out there who enjoys the buzz of flies about their head or, in your case, as you've pointed out, the pitter patter of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh around the dumpster, as "atmosphere."

However, would you say that, if you walked into an upscale restaurant and found yourself the unlikely love interest of a fly throughout the course of your meal, you'd think to yourself "wow, this is the bestest place ever"? Now, have 3 flies buzzing about your head in a small dining room, lighting on the lip of your wine glass, your plate, the dinner rolls and consider whether or not you feel very dignified about bringing your friends to dinner at such a place? I personally believe it leaves much to be desired if, during your dining experiance, you're waving flies away from your food constantly (Jeff Goldblum included). But again, as I said before, this is my subjective opinion.

No, I was speaking about our entire restaurant is open air. Not just the patio, upper deck or pool patio areas. And we don't have roaches, but I've seen water loving four legged rats near the dumpsters and dockage....

(I've got to say, if you find a rat with more than four legs around your dumpsters, cleanliness may be the least of your worries.)

At any rate:

You said: Guess alfresco is out for you. Our entire restaurant is open air in the temperate times of the year.

Given your first sentence, I assumed you were replying to me specifically and offering your restaurant as an example of outdoor dining complete with natural wonders.

I clarified that I was referring to flies inside, not outside. Not your restaurant or outdoors areas, etc. etc. I was also agreeing that alfresco dining was not particularily my cup of tea (coffee, maybe).

The roaches was an aside, and again, nothing to do with you (why would it be? Do I know you? Are you the guy that keyed my jeep? :angry: )..

I make a point that there are in fact culinary professionals with scruples.

I don't recall making a generalized statement, or implying in any way that all culinary professionals don't have scruples. Did I miss something?

Anyone that has an ounce of professionalism and/or integrity does in fact make use of those mandatory commercial kitchen washing stations. I see it being used each and every day where I work and use it too.

Yes, indeed, and when I waitressed and otherwise worked in food service, there were many of us who were very conscientious of handwashing and cleanliness and thank god, most of them were the cooks, bar one or two. A great many people use the washing station. However, that does not logically equate to "because they are there, everyone uses them, and they are used everywhere, every single time."

This was sadly evidenced by the rest of us poor clean & tidy schelps having to take a field trip to the local clinic and get a hepititis A vaccinnation in the rump. I'd never bared my ass to a nurse before (well, let me specify "when coherent and operating within normal faculties"), it was a memorable & humbling experiance. Granted, the shots were later revealed to be thanks to a dishwasher who was eating the food off of plates coming back to the kitchen (he was a couple fries short of a basket). At any rate, the point there would be: not everyone holds to the same standards of cleanliness across the board.

And the old public restrooms "test" are hardly indicative of the cleanliness of the kitchen and prep areas.

You mean someone went and patented it and I didn't know? Dang. I thought I was just observing the staff's behavior and general attitude about cleanliness, drawing my own conclusions and deciding whether or not I wanted to eat there in the future.

Our kitchen has had at least three consecutively perfect health inspections while the broad that is mildly intoxicated ashed all over the place with her cigarette, extinguished it against the lavatory wall and proceeded to drop it to the floor, left the water running in the sink, dumped all of the dispenser soap on the counter and littered any and all paper products upon the flooring. Meh. Untidy and some filthy personal habits, but that's what our cleaning crew comes in at 3:30 a.m. to deal with.

I'm assuming (and hoping) that the drunk female is a customer and therefore not a staff member? Do health inspectors check customers now, too? (three inspections? how long was this chick in the bathroom?)

Were she a staff member, indeed, I'd be very curious as to what her attitudes are in regards to food handling...especially if she's drinking on the job.

If she's the drunk customer, it's not entirely relevant, is it? I'm not going to go home with her and eat at her house.

I specifically outlined a scenerio - the staff is entering and leaving the bathroom without washing their hands or bothering to refill the soap. Just as an unshaven man with bloodshot eyes and smelling vaugely of alcohol might not be the person you'd consider hiring to wire your house, I'm not likely to assume a staff member who does not consider soap a priority in the washroom will be real diligent about keeping themselves sanitary around my food. I do not assume that because *I* would be a neat freak about other's food, someone else would as well.

Obviously I've stated that I'm not completely anal about this, as in some cases the staff has their own washroom & may not be aware of the front bathroom being out of soap, or perhaps you can see the sushi chef washing his hands at the sink before preparing your food - but if I see my server come walking out of a bathroom without washing her hands (unless perhaps she's a miracle creature who has selfsanitizing hands. oo! oo! I want HER genes)... well. ugh.

Would you feel better, perhaps, if I changed my peeve to "dirty servers"? :laugh:

As far as sushi goes, that's very old school. In fact the Itamae-san should challenge my discretion in speaking rudimentary Japanese, sushi etiquette and in the choice/selection of sushi I'm ordering! I trust in their mastered art, skill and judgment whole heartedly -- soap in restroom or not.

I do not blindly trust the staff of every place I walk into. Your mileage obviously varies and that is quite fine, that's your perogative and you're entitled to operate under your own rules of discretion, as am I. We have a sushi bar we like now -it has it's issues, but we know most of the sushi chefs and enjoy their work. The place we originally frequented unfortunately closed - so we'd been looking for a new "haunt" when we stumbled across the No Soap Sushi Bar. This is Denver, we're not exactly known for our sushi here, we're known for things like our football team and ...well, our football team...well, once. Ok, so we have mountians...

Meg

Edited by megaira (log)

megaira:

Take the personal out of it. You'll do quite well on eG, but personal is *never* an accepted route.

"Odd" point of view is one who is culinary school bound, working heart of the house shifts while also bartending and part time managing. I've been around in this biz. To believe that the public restrooms are any valid indication of the level of cleanliness of our kitchen, well, we'd be in some big trouble null and voiding our pop health inspections. I only threw it in because of the number of washing hand stations, required by health code regulation, we have in our kitchen: 2 on the hot line, 1 in prep, 1 near the walk ins/office area and 1 near the food runners station/expo/service bar and cashier stand for the servers -- that's a shit load for the medium sized kitchen we run!

Rats, hate them/ignore them or fear them, are all a large part of on the waterfront dining. Fine dining inclusive and to more than at least three dozen establishments. To make light and poke fun at this being a cleanliness issue is ridiculous and again showing your prejudice. You have no idea, as you don't work or dine where I work or live. And a successful establishment certainly does not locate their dumpsters near enough to the diningroom areas so as to interrupt "atmosphere." :rolleyes: Now that's simple common sense.

I think you mis-skewed that inspection and average drunk patron I was alluding to in reference to the cleanliness of kitchen compared to the restroom; as well as the "all culinary professionals" having, or not having, scruples. I find that most wearing the hat behind a sushi bar/restaurant are in fact of the most discerning, as they are serving up raw fish! (my reference to the presence of the hand washing stations)

Again, perception is everything. Let's not revisit that path, okay?

edit: spelling :blink:

Edited by beans (log)

And, a small thought about hand washing while in the loo, what do you think happens when you reach for that door handle after countless others did not wash?

That's why I pull the paper towels before washing, turn the water off with a towel, and open the door with the same towel.

I keep tissues handy in case the restaurant only has those damned hand dryers that take 10 minutes to dry your hands. :angry:

restaurants could go to purell dispensers- eliminates having to touch a surface or have paper towels laying around. the wall dispensers could fit nicely in the kitchen area-staff can purell their hands frequently. i use purell at the hospital and it's cut down on wear and tear on my skin from too hot water and paper towels.

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

beans:

Take the personal out of it. You'll do quite well on eG, but personal is *never* an accepted route.

Perhaps take your own advice - you've both appeared to make this personal as well as take some tongue in cheek lighthearted comments quite to heart.

"Odd" point of view is one who is culinary school bound, working heart of the house shifts while also bartending and part time managing. I've been around in this biz.

What do your credentials have to do with my finding you taking issue with my personal, subjective opinion based pet peeves odd? You're somehow more qualified to tell me my opinion is wrong?

To believe that the public restrooms are any valid indication of the level of cleanliness of our kitchen, well, we'd be in some big trouble null and voiding our pop health inspections.

You're missing the important point that the nit you picked was with my comment regarding a sushi bar that had one restroom for both patrons and staff, not restrooms segregated into public and staff.

I only threw it in because of the number of washing hand stations, required by health code regulation, we have in our kitchen: 2 on the hot line, 1 in prep, 1 near the walk ins/office area and 1 near the food runners station/expo/service bar and cashier stand for the servers -- that's a shit load for the medium sized kitchen we run!

Again, it matters little to me how many sinks are in the place. The one restaurant where I worked had sinks all over, it doesn't mean everyone on staff used them.

Rats, hate them/ignore them or fear them, are all a large part of on the waterfront dining. Fine dining inclusive and to more than at least three dozen establishments.

If I see one, I'm out of there. I don't care how clean the place is. I said if I saw a fly, I was out the door - did you bother to ask if I was pointing this out as a cleanliness issue at all? No. Roaches freak me out, rats freak me out, I'll be out the door if I see one. I don't want to fight a fly to get to my food and that's my personal pet peeve. I lived in cleveland, I know quite well a place could be spotless and still have roaches. Doesn't freak me out *any* less.

To make light and poke fun at this being a cleanliness issue is ridiculous and again showing your prejudice.

I did not poke fun at this as a cleanliness issue. I never said it had to do with anything being "unclean." I said it's not an enjoyable part of restaurant atmosphere & it's something that would cause me, myself and I to not patronize a place. I'm sorry you took offense to my joke, but it certianly was not meant to offend or slander your workplace.

I'm not sure how my personal pet peeves matter to you unless it's your particular restaurant I visited and am complaining about or I'm naming places and saying "don't go here, it's a sty!"? Again, nothing in there about flies being an indication of cleanliness, only that I find them a giant pain in the ass. Like I said, I can't stand it if *one* is in the house either. I'll hunt that sucker down and kill it the minute I see it.

You have no idea, as you don't work or dine where I work or live.

No, I don't and I don't particularily care about your workplace...or the state of it's bathrooms, or the insects or rodents in or around the place.

I think you mis-skewed that inspection and average drunk patron I was alluding to in reference to the cleanliness of kitchen compared to the restroom;

I see the point that you're trying to get to, though, again, no idea how a sushi bar with one bathroom and no soap parallels a larger restaurant with a public restroom and sloppy patrons, but let's just leave it at that you made your point, much at my expense, shall we?

as well as the "all culinary professionals" having, or not having, scruples.

You said:I make a point that there are in fact culinary professionals with scruples.

I'm not sure how I "mis-skewed" anything when I pointed out I'd never said anything to indicate otherwise. Nor did I ever give any indication that I felt there was a general dearth in the culinary profession regarding cleanliness. It was a moot point, there isn't a person here, I'm sure, that does not recognize this fact. So maybe you could clarify just what you were trying to say and how I misskewed it.

On second thought, don't.

I find that most wearing the hat behind a sushi bar/restaurant are in fact of the most discerning, as they are serving up raw fish! (my reference to the presence of the hand washing stations)

Most are, I'm sure. I don't assume all are. There are many things that go into choosing a sushi bar and one would be reputation. If no reputation to go on, then I'll base my opinion on other methods. It seems you're taking up the flags of sushi chefs everywhere over my choice to not dine in one particular restaurant based on an experiance I had there. It makes little sense to me, given that I've said that I patronize another place. It might be another if I said (which, I never did say at any point, again) all sushi chefs were untrustworthy and unclean and swore off sushi based on such nonsense.

Again, perception is everything.

Indeed.