• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant/Bar Annoyances

Rosie

You order a steak medium and it arrives rare, your food arrives lukewarm instead of hot. What is the best way for a restaurant to remedy this situation? Obviously back on the grill, salamander or microwave are the easiest remediation, but how does that affect the quality of the final result?

A steak removed from the grill, plated, waiting at the pass for a pickup, delivered to the table, discovered to be not quite what was ordered, brought to the attention of the wait staff, returned to the kitchen, placed back on the grill, re-plated, waiting for pickup, re-delivered to customer has to affect the quality.

Appreciating that the restaurant is in the business of making money and can not afford to be tossing out steaks is there an easy way out? From the customer's point of view re-firing would produce the best result. Unless a soup has gone stone cold re-heating should have little or no effect, but other foods may not be so forgiving of the reheating process.

What's your take?

p

Maybe it's due to that stupid McDonald's coffee lawsuit, but I can never get 'hot' soup at a restaurant.  It's a joke with my DH....I now ask the server to make sure it's hot-hot when I order and warn them I'll send it back if it isn't.  And still about 50% of the time it's not hot enough!  I don't think reheating soup hurts it unless it's a delicate bisque or one with fresh seafood atop it (or other fresh garnishes....avocado for example) that could be zapped to death on a reheat.  Hopefully the kitchen would remove the garnishes before reheating.  Normally I only order soup on very cold days and it's of a hearty variety.  

I never order steak when I eat out, so can't help you there.  

I don't like the idea of them throwing food I've cut into back on the grill. 

Normally I don't order steaks but if an error is made and unless it's well done- well I'll eat it. Parley it into a desert because I'm not waiting another 20-30 minutes while everyone else eats.

But plain cold food that's supposed to be hot I won't stand for.

Edited by radtek (log)
  • Like 1

If there is a hair in my food, I return it. If there is meat that is not done, and it is beef, unless it is really rare and bleeding hard (I like med-rare), I will eat it but I will inform the waiter that it wasn't quite as ordered. If it is overdone but not yet turned to jerky, I might attempt to eat a few bites but most of it would remain on my plate, and the waiter would again be informed. If chicken or any other meat which should not be served undercooked, I would return it. If the soup is stone cold, I would ask for it to be heated, please. I would not ask for a free dessert (though, in my experience, I might be offered something or the bill reduced). Unless the service, and/or the food, is truly awful, I usually pay the full bill despite the errors.

If the waiter is seemingly uncaring or it is something he/she probably actually plated themselves (salads and soup are often in large bowls or hotpots in less expensive restaurants and waiters bring those along with bread, water/soft drinks, etc. without interaction with the cook staff - which means the wait staff retains responsibility for its condition upon arrival at the table), he/she might notice my face is not as pleasant as it was when I entered and, in most cases, I probably would not return. I don't make a big fuss but I do get my point across in one way or another.

Mistakes happen but good restaurants and waiters are responsive and willing to make it right in some way. On the other hand, you are asking for pat answers to varying situations and one's response may be different depending on the situation/restaurant, etc.

This is going to be one interesting poem, palo.  :smile: I do hope you publish it here for us to enjoy. And, by the way, what are YOUR thoughts on this topic?

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

This is going to be one interesting poem, palo.  :smile: I do hope you publish it here for us to enjoy. And, by the way, what are YOUR thoughts on this topic?

Indeed.  This Grand Canto of Bad Restaurant Behavior and Embarrassing and Uncomfortable Food Related Stuff is  definitely coming together, if Palo's topics of interest  are any measure.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

As mentioned, it's an individual choice. Personally cold soup/meal would be requested to be re-heated. Steak would depend on how far off it was from what was requested. I would live with a little rarer or a little over done and not complain to the waiter. I like my steaks rare so unless it was uncooked, that wouldn't be a problem. If it was closer to medium instead of rare but still somewhat pink again not a problem.

My concern would be if the kitchen's "fix" would be more to my liking than what I have before me.

Do we have a poet in residence or is the job up for grabs?

p

I just don't go back to places where I am served cold or tepid food that is supposed to be hot. I don't send anything back ever.

I may spend some time and effort on feedback with a mom and pop place I like and want to see them succeed where the error was a one-off. Chains do not get a second chance. I don't eat at those much anyway. I figure it's not my job to help you run your business, unless I already like you and care about you.

Cold breakfast food is particularly intolerable to me, and I can't think of a single local breakfast restaurant I've tried that serves properly hot food. IHOP and Perkins are especially egregious in this area. They serve their breakfasts on thick china platters, but don't preheat them, so even properly cooked and quickly served breakfasts give up their heat to these thermal sinks quite quickly. Such a pity, because if they were preheated, they'd be ideal for serving up eggs and pancakes.

Fortunately, breakfast foods are very easy and quick to cook at home, and I preheat my plates.

The only thing I dislike more than cold eggs is cold pasta, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons on that front with some of the Asian noodle preparations that are served cold. I have big, thick pasta bowls that I preheat for Italian pasta, and I expect, and sometimes get the same at some of out local restaurants. If they disappoint, I don't return.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I just don't go back to places where I am served cold or tepid food that is supposed to be hot. I don't send anything back ever.

I may spend some time and effort on feedback with a mom and pop place I like and want to see them succeed where the error was a one-off. Chains do not get a second chance. I don't eat at those much anyway. I figure it's not my job to help you run your business, unless I already like you and care about you.

Cold breakfast food is particularly intolerable to me, and I can't think of a single local breakfast restaurant I've tried that serves properly hot food. IHOP and Perkins are especially egregious in this area. They serve their breakfasts on thick china platters, but don't preheat them, so even properly cooked and quickly served breakfasts give up their heat to these thermal sinks quite quickly. Such a pity, because if they were preheated, they'd be ideal for serving up eggs and pancakes.

Fortunately, breakfast foods are very easy and quick to cook at home, and I preheat my plates.

The only thing I dislike more than cold eggs is cold pasta, but I'm trying to broaden my horizons on that front with some of the Asian noodle preparations that are served cold. I have big, thick pasta bowls that I preheat for Italian pasta, and I expect, and sometimes get the same at some of out local restaurants. If they disappoint, I don't return.

At what one might call an upscale hotel I was once served cold (as in refrigerator temperature) hollandaise for breakfast.  I rather expect the hollandaise was left over from the night before.  All things considered I was rather disappointed.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

To me, there is a big difference between 'bringing something to the attention of' someone (the waitstaff in this case) and 'complaining'. I try to save the latter for those times when I use the former and am met with indifference or rudeness - since having to use the 'complaint' strategy to get results can ruin my meal as much as the offense that warranted it in the first place.

I can be very assertive, but, having been raised as a 'nice Canadian girl', my first approach, I know, can make me look like a patsy at times, especially when I dine in the US where people are often much more outspoken about everything. I know I have cringed when I have been out for dinner with a few American friends whose standard approach is complaint first - and not always in a quiet manner. They got results (and strangely, to me, were not thrown out but were kowtowed to for the rest of the meal) but that is just not my style. 

All that to note that, depending on where one roams, there can be quite a culture difference between north of the border and south of the border (and between big cities and country/small towns - and probably between genders as well) when it comes to what is standard/acceptable/desirable behaviour, how one gets what one wants and is paying for, in restaurants and other milieus.  

Edited by Deryn (log)

• 3 months later...

Why do servers usually bring enough food menus for everyone to have one, but only one drinks menu? This makes no sense, especially when the drink order usually is taken first. Its awkward hurriedly passing around the cocktail menu so everyone can see it, while the server impatiently waits to take the order. 

• Like 3

Primate Asilvestrado

Solano County, California

My  ongoing annoyance is wine lists on iPads and wine lists in big binders with a wine per page. 

I want to scan a wine list rapidly and narrow my choices quickly. This is best done with one wine per line and many on a page.

Maybe the only benefit of an iPad list is that it can be always up to date. But it never is. I don't know how many times I've ordered from an iPad only to be told that that wine is sold out. WTF.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I personally am irked at restaurant diners who cannot remove their baseball caps!  WTF!   What is this about?

I grew up in times when men removed their hats indoors.  

What are they trying  to prove or hide?  It seems so very adolescent.

Edited by lindag
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 6

Hiding? Maybe their bald spots?  It took me a long time, but I got used to the baseball/ seed corn caps.  Now getting used to the idiots almost yelling into their phones is taking longer.  And let's not even go into diners that let their kids run wild!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Wait staff asking if you’d like dessert, before you’ve even finished the entree. In such a hurry to get that check closed out...

Clearing the table while one person is still eating.  And the follow up, asking the diner who is finished if they would like dessert, while the other person is still eating their entree.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I personally hate restaurant diners who cannot remove their baseball caps!  WTF!   What is this about?

I grew in times when men removed their hats!  

What are they trying  to prove or hide?

Perhaps you need a better restaurant ? 

But, yeah. 

I could not care less if someone chooses to keep a hat on or not. It doesn't affect me. I don't have to look at him/her. Why would this bother me in the least?

What I do care about is children being allowed to screech at the top of their "adorable" little lungs, run laps around the aisles, interfering with and endangering waitstaff and patrons, smear their dirty little hands on me (this happened to me once) and kick the back of my booth. This latter one has happened so many times it is just ridicules for the little amount that I eat out. Parents today seem to be oblivious to how much their children are annoying fellow diners.

I remember but cannot find an incident at a local restaurant that got into the news over a booth-kicking kid. Police were involved, and I can relate.

And yes, even poor people who are only able to afford eating out occasionally at less expensive restaurants should be able to expect a pleasant experience unmarred by unsupervised, out-of-control children. 

I avoid places that cater to children like Chuck E. Cheese (link to a video of a recent brawl with 4 arrests in Fayettville, NC), of course, and always skip nights where kids eat free. I try to avoid children in restaurants as much as possible, but that is hard when one cannot afford high end eateries. Not all children are allowed to go crazy in restaurants, of course. So many are these days, though. Cudos to the parents who still teach their children manners, and they're probably in the majority. It is just that the few that don't take the responsibility to do that make it very miserable for everyone around them.

I have a metal sign, given to me by my brother, that reads: "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free kitten". There's a picture of a very cute little red-headed girl that looks much like my sister as a child with a cup of espresso in her hand. xD

His son and daughter are actually very well behaved in restaurants and everywhere else since they were infants.

I will also say that when I recently ate at Bosphorus, our great Turkish restaurant we are so lucky to have, there were many Turkish families who brought their kids to this restaurant. All of the children were extremely well-behaved and bothered no one. Why can't we Americans get this down? 

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I could not care less if someone chooses to keep a hat on or not. It doesn't affect me. I don't have to look at him/her. Why would this bother me in the least?

What I do care about is children being allowed to screech at the top of their "adorable" little lungs, run laps around the aisles, interfering with and endangering waitstaff and patrons, smear their dirty little hands on me (this happened to me once) and kick the back of my booth. This latter one has happened so many times it is just ridicules for the little amount that I eat out. Parents today seem to be oblivious to how much their children are annoying fellow diners.

I remember but cannot find an incident at a local restaurant that got into the news over a booth-kicking kid. Police were involved, and I can relate.

And yes, even poor people who are only able to afford eating out occasionally at less expensive restaurants should be able to expect a pleasant experience unmarred by unsupervised, out-of-control children. 

I avoid places that cater to children like Chuck E. Cheese (link to a video of a recent brawl with 4 arrests in Fayettville, NC), of course, and always skip nights where kids eat free. I try to avoid children in restaurants as much as possible, but that is hard when one cannot afford high end eateries. Not all children are allowed to go crazy in restaurants, of course. So many are these days, though. Cudos to the parents who still teach their children manners, and they're probably in the majority. It is just that the few that don't take the responsibility to do that make it very miserable for everyone around them.

I have a metal sign, given to me by my brother, that reads: "Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free kitten". There's a picture of a very cute little red-headed girl that looks much like my sister as a child with a cup of espresso in her hand. xD

His son and daughter are actually very well behaved in restaurants and everywhere else since they were infants.

I will also say that when I recently ate at Bosphorus, our great Turkish restaurant we are so lucky to have, there were many Turkish families who brought their kids to this restaurant. All of the children were extremely well-behaved and bothered no one. Why can't we Americans get this down? 

I had an experience in a very nice local restaurant with dh and myself and two out of town guests.

We were seated at the only available table which was next to a couple and their two young boys (about 4, I'd guess).  The children yelled, threw silverware made so much noise that we could barely converse.  The parents, apparently, saw nothing and chatted with each other.  I was so mad I could have spit.

• Like 1

Stupid waiter tricks.

My wife and I were out, nice place. I ordered, handed the waiter my menu and then he asks "What kind of dressing would you like on your salad?"

I thought that the salad wasn't included but then thought I must be wrong if he's asking me this. 

Yup, not included. Asked to see a manager when the bill came with the charge for a salad. Never showed. One of the few times, probably the only time,  I didn't leave  a tip.

• Like 4

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

The hat indoors really gets up my goat.  It's respect that sadly is diminishing quickly.

Wait staff who don't know that the way you leave your knife & fork tells them if your done with your meal or not.

• Like 2