• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate fountains

McDuff

They bought a chocolate fountain at the earthy crunchy groceria and while I'm sure it comes with instructions, it might to too late to do anything about getting the right stuff to put into it for friday night.

We can choose from literally any chocolate available, but what normally do people use? Couverture, plain old chocolate, ganache, what's the deal?

I think you should use whatever chocolate you enjoy. I use Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate because I prefer dark chocolate. The chocolate needs to be thin, so either choose chocolate with high fat content or add oil to melted chocolate. I use a light vegetable oil so it would not effect the flavor of the chocolate. I'm sure you can use a nut oil if you want to add flavor. The instruction on my unit also said that you can falvor the chocolate with liquor.

The caterer I share space with recently bought a Sephora fountain... she had used some of my Callebaut callets with it and they're too viscous to use with the fountain (she felt that since the choc from Sephora looked and tasted like the callets, they were the same). The first time she mixed some of the Callebaut with the Sephora choc and it worked fine; the second time she used only the Callebaut and it clogged. So now she's buying the choc from Sephora; the moral of the story is you need a choc that will melt and flow easily. I tried to get her to use some of my Schokinag but she's gun shy now and won't risk it. Sephora is telling her she should only use their "formulated" choc :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi K8, honestly, I did get a mini fountain and the oil had no appreciable taste to it. (I used peanut oil) I'm not sure about cream, this baby has to be pretty thin, but it won't hur to try! The biggest factor I found was that the damn thing must be completely LEVEL for the chocolate to flow evenly over the falls.

Good luck!

I've used my mini fountain several times and also found that chocolate and oil works great. You really need chocolate with a high fat content for this to work. If the chocolate isn't thin enough, you won't get the nice sheeting on the fountain. My rec is to go with a chocolate you like (I use Gharidelli semi-sweet) and add a light vegetable oil to thin it out. A light vegetable oil should not change the taste of the chocolate, just the texture.

I would suspect that beyond the viscosity issues, that keeping ganache warm for long periods of time would create a lovely medium for growing bacteria. I wouldn't risk it.

That's what I was kinda thinking. That cream. It seemed suspect. When all you need is chocolate & oil why bother with cream. Thank you so much I will relay that information.

Thank you Anna & Genny & Neil!

Edited by K8memphis (log)