• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whistler Cornucopia 2005

Izzy

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be there for Thursday events

Trade Tasting at the Telus Conference Center 1.30-4.00

Washington Wine Commission Open House 4.00-5.30

Serious Tasting For the Serious Set 5.30-8.00

and Battle of the Sexes on Friday. I'm bringing the white flag as I fully expect the women to kick our butts.

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

Have they opened for the season yet? I can't wait to go back to Whistler!!!!!!

They have indeed. Blackcomb was open this weekend and opens again next weekend. The official opening is Nov.24 or thereabouts.

I'll be up there too but don't know what events I'll be attending.

James

Food seminars are very weak at Cornucopia this year and personally, not worth the price they are asking to attend.

I would stick to the wine seminars with the exception of Anna Olson's seminar.

Myself, I will be working the Masquarave event at the Bearfoot on Friday and their Winemaker's dinner on Saturday.

If any of you egullet people are attending, come and say hi.

I will be the one shucking oysters (duh) at both events and would love to meet any and all of you.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy :laugh:

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I've bought tickets for Crush on Friday night. I note that it, along with a number of other events, is sold out. I was a bit concerned on the weekend when a friend informed me that we only had an hour to eat and drink. That would be an extreme challenge even for glutton. As it turns out, the VIPs get a chance to clean up the wine and food before the great, unwashed masses are allowed in for 2.5 hours. Phew! Two-and-a-half hours is all I need.

Both Araxi and Bearfoot Bistro sound like fun events. However, I can't afford to attend either of these events in addition to Crush. I would love to read some reviews, though.

I’ll see what else in on when I’m up there. I actually hope to get some skiing in on Saturday. It could be quiet on the hills if everyone is hung over.

Waiterblog has been having some server troubles for the last week, but I hope to have it up and running by this Thursday so I can blog my misadventures at Cornucopia (that is, should anyone care to read what will likely turn out to be disjointed wine-soaked drivel). :wink: If you make it up there, I'll be in the bar.

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

...I can blog my misadventures at Cornucopia (that is, should anyone care to read what will likely turn out to be disjointed wine-soaked drivel).  :wink: If you make it up there, I'll be in the bar.

Isn't cornucopia another word for "in my cups"? :biggrin:

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Received this email from Kirk Shaw at Bearfoot Bistro and thought I'd pass it along to you here ...

E-gulleters who may be attending Cornucopia this week-end and may be interested in products being poured at The Masqerave at the Bearfoot on Friday evening.  I am going to give you a quick run down on what will be poured at the event;

From Mr.Claus Jensen his most excellent Bacio Divino and his neighbor's Conundrum.  Ray Signerello will be pouring Signerello&Edge. Accompaning him will be Mr Segal with Quinta do val Maria as well as Quinta do Vallado.  Our good friends from Vincor will grace us with the Naked Grapes along with the public release of the 03 Osoyoos Larose to washed down with a little Zonte. 

Piper will be out in force as well as a bit of Pommery Cuvee Louise after a sip of their Pop.  You will be greeted by the Mumm's Napa twins of the Cuvee Napa and the M to accompany treats from Zen sushi off nubile young servers.  The Select gang who are making Saturday nights festivities possible will provide Mini Domain Chandons as well as Moet Brut and Rose with a bit of Hennesy to keep it real. 

Westbanker's Mark Anthony will be in the house with Mission Hill ,Yalumba and Rodney Strong and leading the barley pop parade with Corona to be accompannied by  Stella and Kronenburg.  Should the ales fail you be sure to check a Sky and Nevan or toss some Base into the mix to keep the energy level up in order to sample Some of Chef Melissa Craig's delectable party favors to be suplemented by our partners at Ric's Grill where the revelers may refuel and catch their breath before checking out Bill's to imbide in Brookers martini's and the soulful sounds of Peacefrog and Vinyl Richie. 

Thomas Perin will be in attendance to show Ville Ferme as well as big brother Chateau Beaucastel.  To keep refreshed Erocia will be pouring as well as Brut and Rose from Nicolas Fuette with a bit of Cava from Segura Viduas.  Burrowing Owl's merlot and chardonnay will be complemented by Californian cousins Curvison chard and pinot.  To accompany a visit to our chocolat girl one may need a bracing shot of frozen Kettle one or a glass of Beringer spakling zinfandel or Seaview's sparkling shiraz. 

Kids be sure to take full advantage to rehydrate at our many Evian stations spread throughout the venue. 

Hope this helps any of you on the fence to make the trek to enjoy this and the many other events planned for Cornucopia in Whistler begining Wednesday evening with the annual House party.  Hope this may be of some help as there did not seem to be too much on this years event on the post as yet.

Sincerly yours,

Kirk Shaw

Wine Director

Bearfoot Bistro

:biggrin:

A.

Damn website is up and then it messes up again. Egads.

In any event, I've had some fun today. Bumped into Keith Nicholson from Nu setting up for the Canadian Heroes tasting of B.C. and Ontario wines. Tom Doughty is up here, too (as are Gismondi and Pawsey). Haven't seen Jamie Maw but did a twirl around the trade tasting with the lovely and talented lauraf.

I really wanted to have lunch at Apres, but they weren't open. Same with Umbertos, Quattro, and Araxi. Ended up chowing down on Kung Pao at Earl's which was totally packed with a gortex crowd of nubiles all rosy-cheeked and lovely. I'm now dangerously over-carbed and araring to get silly.

I'm back at the Chateau now. The hotel is getting swamped with some serious weekend traffic. The snow has been falling like mad so there are lots of people carrying boards and skis about. I'm always underdressed for every occasion, and I've failed miserably as far as winter gear is concerned. I'm wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, and desert boots. Smart.

Crush starts in a couple of hours, and then over to Bearfoot and Araxi. I'll report back here afterwards if I am sober enough.

Wish you were all here. :smile:

Edited by Andrew Morrison (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Damn website is up and then it messes up again. Egads.

In any event, I've had some fun today. Bumped into Keith Nicholson from Nu setting up for the Canadian Heroes tasting of B.C. and Ontario wines. Tom Doughty is up here, too (as are Gismondi and Pawsey). Haven't seen Jamie Maw but did a twirl around the trade tasting with the lovely and talented lauraf.

I really wanted to have lunch at Apres, but they weren't open. Same with Umbertos, Quattro, and Araxi. Ended up chowing down on Kung Pao at Earl's which was totally packed with a gortex crowd of nubiles all rosy-cheeked and lovely. I'm now dangerously over-carbed and araring to get silly.

I'm back at the Chateau now. The hotel is getting swamped with some serious weekend traffic. The snow has been falling like mad so there are lots of people carrying boards and skis about. I'm always underdressed for every occasion, and I've failed miserably as far as winter gear is concerned. I'm wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, and desert boots. Smart.

Crush starts in a couple of hours, and then over to Bearfoot and Araxi. I'll report back here afterwards if I am sober enough.

Wish you were all here.  :smile:

<sigh>

k.

I am about to go and set up my oyster shucking station at what could prove to be the party of the century at the Bearfoot Bistro.

I, too will give you a rundown on how events went once I recover enough to use my keyboard again.

"Naked ladies and a bottle of wine, Mama....."

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I am about to go and set up my oyster shucking station at what could prove to be the party of the century at the Bearfoot Bistro.

Hombre de ostion:

Please, please - while you're at the Bearfoot, can you check out the Jamon Iberico on their menu?

They're the only restaurant in North America selling this stuff.

What (price) are they selling it for?

How are they serving it?

If you have the chance to try it - or are even interested/inclined to try it - please do add to your report. :blink:

Gracias,

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.