• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Personal Taste

People like their food done different ways.  Restaurants can comply, or not.  

I thought we were discussing something "meatier", but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.  :sad:

Nope - I think you've pretty much summed it up right there.

At least that's how I see it.

:smile:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Macrosan - I've never seen a fried steak at a kosher restaurant. What are you talking about? Do you mean breaded and fried, deep fried or just sauteed in a pan? Or is it just another thing the Brits fry?

Why Plotters, you've never lived :laugh: Which kosher restaurants have you been to in London ? There are about five in Golders Green Road of which I've tried three. Blooms and Dizengoff both serve fried steak (with or without fried onions). Fiesta is an Argentinian Steak House, and doesn't serve fried steak.

The dish is sauteed in a pan, no breading. The fried (caramelised) onions are pretty traditional.

I used to get exactly trhe same dish at Blooms Whitechapel or Strongwaters in Brick Lane, and I remember two of my aunts cooking the dish. So it's obviously not a Brit thing, more a Lith or Pol thing I guess.

And actually, it's a tasty dish, even if not like my preferred real steak.

Martin - You're not talking about fried steak, you're talking about pan sauteed. They do that all over France. What's the point of that? It still tastes lousy well done, although less so because the oil in the pan moistens the meat and the flavor of the onions in the oil imparts flavor.

Adam - Trying to get this topic back on track, why is it that people are resisitant to have their steak cooked "the right way?" To me there are two models that come out of this topic. The entertainment/choice model which says that food is like the movies or a book. It's my money I and I will see/read/eat what I want. Then there is the "patron" model like a museum or opera where an elite chooses what you are going to view/listen to. I understand why food is like the former example. But why is it so difficult to get people to see it the other way, ala your bistecca fiorentina arsonist in Firenze?

Martin - You're not talking about fried steak, you're talking about pan sauteed. They do that all over France. What's the point of that? It still tastes lousy well done, although less so because the oil in the pan moistens the meat and the flavor of the onions in the oil imparts flavor.

Adam - Trying to get this topic back on track, why is it that people are resisitant to have their steak cooked "the right way?" To me there are two models that come out of this topic. The entertainment/choice model which says that food is like the movies or a book. It's my money I and I will see/read/eat what I want. Then there is the "patron" model like a museum or opera where an elite chooses what you are going to view/listen to. I understand why food is like the former example. But why is it so difficult to get people to see it the other way, ala your bistecca fiorentina arsonist in Firenze?

Steve, I don't understand the difference. A person can't dictate what's in a book or a movie anymore than a person can dictate what's in a museum or an opera. It's a take it or leave it proposition in all of those cases, isn't it?

Nina - Well people choose which book to read and which movie to see but they aren't involved in deciding what's in those things. They choose and then they are stuck with that choice. When people order a steak they want to be involved in how the steak comes out. Why don't they just put themselves in the hand of the author, i.e. chef?

Nina - Well people choose which book to read and which movie to see but they aren't involved in deciding what's in those things. They choose and then they are stuck with that choice. When people order a steak they want to be involved in how the steak comes out. Why don't they just put themselves in the hand of the author, i.e. chef?

That I understand, and it's a good question. I just don't understand the difference you tried to point out between book/movie and opera/museum.