• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Les Papilles

Laidback

My wife and I returned here for lunch today after a pleasant visit in April suggested by Felice. We still found it a good value:appetizer, main course, cheese and dessert for €28.50. You are allowed to browse through the wine bins, choose a bottle, and have it served for a corkage fee of €6. We chose a good Pic St. Loup for €27. Pat and I both ordered the menu. The entrée was a soup called aïgot(sp.?)which is an interesting combination of potato, lemon, chives,chevre and pieces of citrus fruit floating in it along with the croutons...not something we would order often but rather refreshing for a hot soup. The main today was a very well prepared daube; the beef chunks had been simmered with onions and carrots until tender and the sauce was definitely bread worthy. The cheese was a slice of mild, creamy Fourme d'Ambert and the dessert was a dish of flan sitting atop sweet pineapple chunks with a bit of ripe banana sautéed in spice as a topping...simple, tasty, satisfying. The bread is a hearty, sour dough that was right at home with the sauce served with the daube. Other than the menu, you can order a variety of salads and tartines which looked good in passing. If you are in the bottom of the 5th and are looking for a good value, decidedly casual spot for lunch, you could do worse; plus it is open on Mondays which is an atout. Felice please accept our 6 month late thanks.

Edited by Laidback (log)

Felice please accept our 6 month late thanks.

My pleasure :biggrin: I am so happy that you enjoyed it. I've been twice for dinner, but it was some time ago so I'm glad to hear it's still good.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

My wife and I returned here for lunch today after a pleasant visit in April suggested by Felice. We still found it a good value:appetizer, main course, cheese and dessert for €28.50. You are allowed to browse through the wine bins, choose a bottle, and have it served for a corkage fee of €6. We chose a good Pic St. Loup for €27. Pat and I both ordered the menu. The entrée was a soup called aïgot(sp.?)which is an interesting combination of potato, lemon, chives,chevre and pieces of citrus fruit floating in it along with the croutons...not something we would order often but rather refreshing for a hot soup. The main today was a very well prepared daube; the beef chunks had been simmered with onions and carrots until tender and the sauce was definitely bread worthy. The cheese was a slice of mild, creamy Fourme d'Ambert and the dessert was a dish of flan sitting atop sweet  pineapple chunks with a bit of ripe banana sautéed in spice as a topping...simple, tasty, satisfying. The bread is a hearty, sour dough that was right at home with the sauce served with the daube. Other than the menu, you can order a variety of salads and tartines which looked good in passing. If you are in the bottom of the 5th and are looking for a good value, decidedly casual spot for lunch, you could do worse; plus it is open on Mondays which is an atout. Felice please accept our 6 month late thanks.

I gotta say WOW; Laidback, we were there too, if today is Monday the 10th for lunch, and I agree 100%. I had been there a bit back, see here, and liked it but never found the time to return. Only difference we had a 21E St Chinian and 20 E Le Nine as wines.

By the way, we were the loud, roudy foursome three tables in from the door.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I was certain that was you; who else resembles your picture and speaks in American English of François Simon, Sebastian Demorand, Emmanuel Rubin, et al :wink:

We were the couple sitting at the table between the bar and the window.