• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best local (SEA) store for table linens?

I'm looking for tablecloths in particular. Some kitchen stores, like City Kitchens, don't carry them at all, and some, like Sur La Table, don't carry very many. I see a few here and there at various gift or home stores, but I'm wondering if anyone can tip me off to stores that carry a particularly good/well-chosen selection?

The Bon has a pretty good selection of more traditional tablecloths. The Mrs. Cooks in U Village has a small but interestion selection. Is there still a Laura Ashley store in the area? They have great tablecloths. If there isn't, head to Vancouver. Their stores are called Le Cachet there and it's always one of my required stops.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

If you're looking for something for a particular occasion, I happen to be very close with someone who has a few hundred different styles available for rent....just PM if you're interested.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I'm looking for tablecloths in particular. Some kitchen stores, like City Kitchens, don't carry them at all, and some, like Sur La Table, don't carry very many. I see a few here and there at various gift or home stores, but I'm wondering if anyone can tip me off to stores that carry a particularly good/well-chosen selection?

There used to be a shop at U. Village that specialized in tablecloths. It's been a while, and I'm blanking on the specifics...anyone?

There used to be a shop at U. Village that specialized in tablecloths. It's been a while, and I'm blanking on the specifics...anyone?

I think it was called the Tabletop shop and I think it is now closed.

I think it was called the Tabletop shop and I think it is now closed.

Yes! That's it! A google search reveals that they're no longer at U. Village, but do have a shop in Bellevue.

Mrs. Cook's had exactly the kind of linens I was looking for and I did buy a tablecloth and some napkins. But good lord, I need to learn to sew-$40 seems like a lot for a square of fabric, and that was the low end.

la maison de France in Bellevue has some gorgeous table cloths.  They are pricy but super fine.  -moose

la maison de France

10223 NE 10th St, Bellevue, 98004 - (425) 688-1078

I think these folks recently shut their brick & mortar & went Web only.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Do check out maison de France in Bellevue one day, I just talked with the owner and indeed he is still open. He said it's another French place that closed down and not his. It's a lovely, but dangerous store!

Fran's Chocolate used to be in the same plaza, but they moved to old Bellevue. maison is very close to Bellevue Square.

-moose

April Cornell has some really great table linens, but it depends on what you are looking for. She's sorta Laura Ashley-ish, lots of florals and vintage type patterns, she also has some plain. I love her stuff.

April Cornell

There's a store in Bellevue Square, and one downtown, in the mall across from the Bon, er, Macy's. (Sorry, I'm blanking on the name of that mall!)

Born Free, Now Expensive

April Cornell has some really great table linens, but it depends on what you are looking for. She's sorta Laura Ashley-ish, lots of florals and vintage type patterns, she also has some plain. I love her stuff.

April Cornell

There's a store in Bellevue Square, and one downtown, in the mall across from the Bon, er, Macy's. (Sorry, I'm blanking on the name of that mall!)

Westlake.

While Kiliki has completed her search, I guess we can keep this going?

William Sonoma has some, as does Pottery Barn and Pier One.

Ross and, I'd guess TJ Maxx, JC Penney's, Mervyns, Tuesday Morning Store, Fred Meyer, Sears, etc. all have stuff like this with a wide range of prices, and quality.

Ross has actually had some great buys on slightly off season styles - I do believe I got a very nice cotton square in perfect fall colors a couple of years ago...just so happens my dining room is painted to match the colors of pumpkin pie (unintentionally) so it works year round. I can't stand looking at clothes in these places, but housewares? Sure.

I'd bet Goodwill and the others used to be a great place for linens - now they are scoured by flea market vendors and resellers and marked as vintage, and priced accordingly.

And I'm still grateful for all the additional suggestions, since I will want more. If anyone has good internet sources (I know, of course, that some of the stores mentioned above, like Pottery Barn, Macy's and Sur la Table have websites) I'd love to hear them as well. My own google searches came up with astounding ugly choices.

April Cornell

Doh! I totally meant April Cornell when I mentioned Laura Ashley earlier. The April Cornell stores are called La Cachet in Canada. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...