• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

greyish- blue lobster stock

Luckylies

I made a lobster /langostine stock yesterday that tastes very good but looks like dishwater. I used langostine heads and lobster bodies...I de-gunked the lobsters first (gills roe etc). Is it really possible the langostines made the stock turn blue/grey? It really does taste good...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

It's long been my theory (although it is completely baseless) that the habit of using saffron (and/or pimieto, and/or tomato) in paellas, bouillabaise and other like dishes is to mask the blue-gray color of the stock.

Curious if anyone has specific knowledge to confirm or refute?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Did you cook the shells first?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I think handmc may be onto something there. I usually saute the shells until bright red before proceeding with a lobster stock.

I agree with moosnsqrl you need to saute the carcasses in oil or butter to extract the flavor as it is not as soluble in water directly but the majority of the red color comes mostly from the tomato or tomato paste or paprika, saffron etc.. that folks use in their bisque or crustacean stock.

i have never seen a shellfish stock that color?

but when making the stock....yes....

you have to saute the shells in oil or roast them. the reddish brownish orangey color will usually come from the pincage (adding tomato to fat). once the tomato is browned (and it browns quickly), and the shells are red (shrimp, langoustine, or otherwise)... then you add water.

It's long been my theory (although it is completely baseless) that the habit of using saffron (and/or pimieto, and/or tomato) in paellas, bouillabaise and other like dishes is to mask the blue-gray color of the stock. 

Curious if anyone has specific knowledge to confirm or refute?

Adding a bit of tomato gives the stock its reddish color. You'll want to add it after your aromatics are cooked the way you want them (caramelized or merely soft), let the tomatoes brown (takes a couple of minutes), and go to the next step.

And Luckylies, if you didn't roast the shells first, that may be what makes it bluish. I'd always learned to do lobster stock by first roasting the shells with a little bit of oil. I do this when making shrimp or crawdad stock, too.

Curious: How much and what kind of acid did you use? And was the final product more grey than blue?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office