• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Relais De Venise

I noticed over the weekend the mentioning of a restaurant called Relais De Venise.

Apologies if has been open a while or already written about

I was not aware of the Paris Branch

I am very curious as to whether the London one is any good and if it can survive with a menu selection of:

A salad with Walnuts,

Entrecote steak,chips & special sauce-Med or Rare

Desserts-choices

Has anyone been?

Sarah x

Edited by sarah w (log)

i've been to the Paris one too

yeah the steak is a good steak and the sauce is intriguing but i was scratching my head too about how come its so popular. :unsure:

its not like its kobe beef or anything :huh:

Wonder if you could do the same trick with another dishes? :wink:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

For some bizarre reason I've found myself eating at the branches in Paris, Geneva and Beirut (yes! there is one there!) - and someones said, its nothing special - but there are times when all you really want is a decent salad, steak frites and a good bottle of red - and the Relais is a reliable source!

The 'special sauce' is just stock, butter and black pepper as far as I recall - its fine, but you can give it a miss.

The London one's not open yet - but its only round the corner from my office so I'll report back soon!

Curiously, another green salad, steak, special sauce, frites and dessert joint called Entrecote Cafe de Paris is opening at the end of October just around the corner from Relais De Venise. Can they both survive?

Is this the one on Baker Street by Portman Square?

ex: Charade

ex: The Broadway

ex: Pizza something or other

ex: deli

???

Seems the two locations have a lot in common....

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 2 weeks later...

I went last week, it was allright - I had made a lot of the same comments as Moir, specifically about the salad oil, greasy and weird tasting - also it would have been a bit more pleasant if they served walnut halves atop rather than "pebbles and crumbs"...

I would not queue up for it. At 1:30 on a Wednesday afternoon, there were plenty of tables available and we sat right away - and specifically requested non-banquette...

If it had been there while I was in school next door, it would have been allright for lunch...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Hmm... Jan Moir's review containes at least one inaccuracy - 'blue' was one of choices I was given when I dined there two weeks ago.

Jay's review says the portion is small which make me wonder if he had both servings of his steak - the restaurant serves the steak and chips in two servings and to be honest, I asked for fewer chips the second time round. I guess Jay could have a larger appetite but the current size of my belly suggests otherwise. And when I went the chips were crisp - but not wooden.

The Marylebone branch is more comfortable (spacious) than the Paris one but the steak seems to be more tender and tasty in Paris. But if you don't want a trip on Eurostar...

All the best,

--

Ian

Hmm... Jan Moir's review containes at least one inaccuracy - 'blue' was one of choices I was given when I dined there two weeks ago.

Jay's review says the portion is small which make me wonder if he had both servings of his steak - the restaurant serves the steak and chips in two servings and to be honest, I asked for fewer chips the second time round. I guess Jay could have a larger appetite but the current size of my belly suggests otherwise. And when I went the chips were crisp - but not wooden.

The Marylebone branch is more comfortable (spacious) than the Paris one but the steak seems to be more tender and tasty in Paris. But if you don't want a trip on Eurostar...

All the best,

--

Ian

No, I got both servings and still thought it on the ungenerous side for £17. God knows what the GP is at that place, particularly as there's next to no waste. Oh, and the chips really were lousy.

Jay

No, I got both servings and still thought it on the ungenerous side for £17. God knows what the GP is at that place, particularly as there's next to no waste. Oh, and the chips really were lousy.

Very odd, then. It's sounds like we had a much better experience.

All the best,

--

Ian

...will it last?...not sure, its pretty basic....depends if the punters have had enough of cuisine poseur of which there is no shortage of in London. :wink:

We went just a couple of weeks after it had opened and it was full. It's been full each time I've walked past too. I have friends with a restaurant round the corner and sadly they're not as busy. It could just be opening interest, but I doubt it - quite a few French people were dining (and seemed to be enjoying their meals).

All the best,

--

Ian