• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a Heritage Turkey

For the past few years, we've gotten heritage turkeys for Thanksgiving dinner, from local sources. We weren't terribly thrilled with our turkeys last year, so we're looking to find another source.

We are in Toledo, and I'm willing to drive up to an hour and a half to fetch said bird.

Not sure how this should proceed in terms of eGullet rules - I'm happy to receive information via PM if it's not appropriate for the forum.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I wish I could help with this. I thought I remembered some previous threads but my searches turned up empty. Hopefully, someone will come through for you with a reliable source.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

You can get one of the best turkeys you have ever tasted by visiting www.chicagocooks.com, specifically http://www.chicagocooks.com/default.asp?sectionID=697, to obtain one of Caveny's spectacular turkeys. I can't emphasize how flavorful these turkeys are (as are his ducks and geese). John Bubala of Thyme roasted a bunch of these for an event I co-chaired for Slow Food this spring, and they were mouthwatering delicious!

Bret S. Beall

www.god-dess.com

Bret S. Beall, MS, PhD (Cand), CEO

Global Organic Designs Lifestyle Services

www.god-dess.com

Thanks, Bret, for the link and the information.

Do you know of any similar opportunities in Danielle's neck of the woods?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

A search on localharvest.org turned up Kathy Breychak's farm in Columbia Station as the first hit centered on Toledo. I actually would have recommended her anyways (I buy eggs and chickens from her), but this year's turkey reservations are already closed.

The Michigan search turns up lots of hits, but I don't know where most of those towns are in relation to Toledo.

Have you gotten birds from:

Britten Turkey Farm

(419) 874-6624

10700 Roachton Rd

Perrysburg, OH 43551

Many of my Toledo area friends get their turkeys there. Or used to...

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...mplate=printart

This article mentions that Britten's closed last year. I know the owner is in poor health. The article mentions a couple of other farms in the area.

phoebe

Edited by mrs_devilkitty (log)

Have you gotten birds from:

Britten Turkey Farm

(419) 874-6624

10700 Roachton Rd

Perrysburg, OH 43551

Many of my Toledo area friends get their turkeys there.  Or used to...

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...mplate=printart

This article mentions that Britten's closed last year.  I know the owner is in poor health.  The article mentions a couple of other farms in the area.

phoebe

This is where we used to get our turkeys. It was sad when they closed. That said,

they were the standard broad-breasted variety (not heritage), and weren't free range or organic, (that I know of), so we had switched to smaller suppliers a couple of years prior to their closing.

Edited by daniellewiley (log)

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Perhaps these people could help you--Rissman Farm (815)264-3487. For you Chicagoans, if you place a turkey order, they will bring the bird to the Holiday Farmer's Market at Lincoln Park Zoo the weekend before Thanksgiving (these turkeys are awesome!)

But for you in Toledo, they may know a local supplier as the Rissmans are part of a heritage, organic organization.

S. Cue

I got heritage birds from John Harnois last year. They're located just outside Ann Arbor. SlowFood USA shows deadend@umich.edu as his contact email, which worked for me last year, but I sent him email a couple weeks ago looking for turkeys for my Thanksgiving feast, and I never heard back from him. But you could try calling information for a phone number.

He has heritage birds as well as organically raised standard broad breasts. Last year was his first year raising some of the breeds of heritage birds, and he didnt realize they were so much slower growing. So he ended up starting them too late, and we were only able to get very small birds. But I'd expect he's learned from his experience last year.

Here's links to some things I wrote about them last year:

Three Tiny Turkeys: http://www.livejournal.com/users/tammylc/334087.html

The Totally True Trials and Tribulations of Tammy's Two Tiny Thanksgiving Turkeys:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/tammylc/335359.html

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I got heritage birds from John Harnois last year.  They're located just outside Ann Arbor.  SlowFood USA shows deadend@umich.edu as his contact email, which worked for me last year, but I sent him email a couple weeks ago looking for turkeys for my Thanksgiving feast, and I never heard back from him.  But you could try calling information for a phone number.

Thanks Tammy - I got my birds from him last year as well. (And also ended up with two small ones instead of one larger.)

We didn't love them. The turkey I got from Bill Lockwood the year previous was much better, but last year he didn't raise them b/c of the timing of a trip to Europe. I found his email and emailed him last night - I'll let you all know if he has any this year.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

• 2 weeks later...

Heritage Foods USA (http://www.heritagefoodsusa.com/) is a great source for all variety of heritage and heirloom breeds/varieties, including turkeys and other poultry. They helped with a Slow Food event I planned this past spring, and I can really vouch for their first class customer service, and the quality of a variety of their products.

You can reach them at the website above or

Todd Wickstrom, Co-Founder

Heritage Foods USA

The Source for Authentic American Heritage Foods

1342 North Main Street

Suite 4

Ann Arbor, MI 48104

734.213.7653 office

www.heritagefoodsusa.com

Tell them Bret Beall sent you, and happy dining!

Be Happy! Be Well!

Bret S. Beall, MS, PhD (Cand)

www.god-dess.com

Bret S. Beall, MS, PhD (Cand), CEO

Global Organic Designs Lifestyle Services

www.god-dess.com

Heritage Foods USA (http://www.heritagefoodsusa.com/) is a great source for all variety of heritage and heirloom breeds/varieties, including turkeys and other poultry.  They helped with a Slow Food event I planned this past spring, and I can really vouch for their first class customer service, and the quality of a variety of their products. 

Tell them Bret Beall sent you, and happy dining!

Be Happy!  Be Well!

Bret S. Beall, MS, PhD (Cand)

www.god-dess.com

Thanks Bret!!

I'm actually friendly with Todd, and have been trying to help him sell some more turkeys. I will indeed be getting one from him. Thanks!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac