• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

smoked fish in philly

Help! We need smoked fish for break the fast and didnt order from New York early enough for the holiday. Any really good places for lox, herring, sturgeon etc...

The delis in Bala Cynwyd are out for us. Poor quality and two years ago they tripled the price of lox during the holidays claiming this is what it cost them.

Anyone try the fish at famous 4th street? We have had lox from Kibbitz in the city and it was ok, but not great. I wonder if they upgraded the fish for famous 4th street, since they likely sell more of it than Kibbitz does.

Anyone know about any delis in the northeast? Anything on Castor Ave?

There used to be a place in Jenkintown, but I cant remember its name.

The choices in Lafayette Hill where we live are pretty mediocre, Izenberg's deli and the Market at Lafayette Hill.

The Famous certaily works. Abe's & Son , 7410 Bustleton Ave., has a nice variety, too. Both have belly (salty) lox as well as nova and herrings. Abe's also has sable, sturgeon (I'm not sure if The Famous does; they might). Prices pretty much the same, though I think Abe's might have slightly more variety in the smoked fish department. Actually, the biggest variety of smoked fish I've seen in town has been at Bell's Market on Castor, the Russian supermarket, though for lox and herring I think the quality is better at Abe's. However, if it's smoked hunks of lake trout or out-of-the-ordinary fish you're after, visit Bell's; heck, Bell's is worth a visit anytime.

Both Abe's and The Famous also sell bulk halvah. Yum.

In my neighborhood, Klein's Supermarket, on the ground floor of the Philadelphian, Fairmount Avenue between 24th and 25th, has a basic selection of both belly and nova, whitefish and chubs, some herring, too.

You should expect to pay $20-$25 a pound for belly lox or nova, unless you buy the pre-sliced, pre-packaged Marshall's nova at Shop Rite's Kosher Corner in Cherry Hill for $10 a pound, which is certainly passable stuff.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Thank you. Abe's sounds good. I'd like to get some of the more nostalgic fishes for this holiday meal like sturgeon, sable, different types of herring along with the lox and whitefish. It reminds me of my grandparents who brought delicacies to my house from Riverdale NY every Sunday when I was growing up.

I read about a place in the northeast called Steve's Famous Deli on Krewstown Rd. Any information about them? I think that is further out in the northeast.

We are always happy with the fish from Ben & Irv's in Huntington Valley. It's a bit of a hike, but they put together lovely platters if you call ahead. I wouldn't recommend any of the places in Jenkintown. You are probably thinking of Murray's in the Baederwood plaza, but I don't think it's too good.

If you have a chance, I second Bell's Market as well. I haven't actually bought fish there, but what they have in the case looks amazing. There is a huge variety - lox, whitefish, sturgeon, different herrings, and other stuff I've never heard of. If you go there, be warned that they speak virtually no english, so ordering can be a bit of a challenge. I also highly recommend their home-made peirogies, which are by far the best I've ever had.

Wow, that sounds intriguing.

The place in Jenkintown is called the something market and I think it is a kind of fancy foods and catering store. I think the name was the same as the road it was on. We actually got fish from them for my now almost 7 year old's bris and I cant remember their name! Luckily I still remember his name.

Wow, that sounds intriguing.

The place in Jenkintown is called the something market and I think it is a kind of fancy foods and catering store.  I think the name was the same as the road it was on.  We actually got fish from them for my now almost 7 year old's bris and I cant remember their name!  Luckily I still remember his name.

Ashbourne Market in Elkins Park, perhaps?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I thought the fish at the new DiBruno's was pretty tasty. We sampled both the Nova and the pacific salmon. The salmon was good, but more like gravlax, while the Nova was more like the lox you'd get in NY.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

my jewish mom must always go to Abe's for fish when she returns to the philly for visits. she grew up in the northeast and has been going to Abe's for many years. They have some of the best smoked fish in philly.

-- allison

You are probably thinking of Murray's in the Baederwood plaza, but I don't think it's too good

Really? I never had any bad or disappointing fish from Murray's. In fact, I thought the sable I had from there was very good.

My favorite thing at the Jenkintown Murray's is the "Chicken in a Pot". The very best thing for a comfort food jones or head cold if you don't like Hot n' Sour soup to blast out your clogged head like I do.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I thought the fish at the new DiBruno's was pretty tasty.  We sampled both the Nova and the pacific salmon.  The salmon was good, but more like gravlax, while the Nova was more like the lox you'd get in NY.

They carry belly lox as well, if that's your preference. No, sturgeon, but they have smoked white fish. Herring in wine or cream sauce is a regular item as well.

Full disclosure: I work there on Sundays.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

I meant Murray's in Bala Cynwyd.  Really not so good.  2 years ago they charged my mother in law $40 per pound or thereabouts for lox during the holidays

I don't think the Bala Murray's and the Jenkintown Murray's are related. Anyone?

What - there can't be more than one Jewish deli named Murray's? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI---Bell's Market--- 8354 Bustleton Ave., about 3 blocks north of Rhawn, Jack's Deli is at 8500 Bustleon Ave., and Stein's Famous Deli is 9359 Krewstown Rd. So--- Go! Buy! Eat, already!!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

FYI---Bell's Market--- 8354 Bustleton Ave., about 3 blocks north of Rhawn, Jack's Deli is at 8500 Bustleon Ave., and Stein's Famous Deli is 9359 Krewstown Rd. So--- Go!  Buy!  Eat, already!!

Stein Boys Famous is very good. They have been on Krewstown Road for about 30 years, maybe more.

We ended up trying Abe's for break the fast. The lox was good, sliced a little too thick and a little oily, but very fresh. Not as flavorful as what we have gotten at Russ and daughters. The herring was great. We got chopped herring and herring in cream sauce. The herring in cream sauce was hand sliced while you wait and the cream sauce and onions was placed on top of the slices in the container, not ahead of time. Kippered salmon was great, and sable very fresh, and very good whitefish salad. My husband said that the place was not much to look at, no beautiful displays, very small, you cant eat in there, but we were very happy with our fish.

I am very curious about all of the other places mentioned. Maybe I'll try them all! Fish oil is healthy, right?

• 11 months later...

I am in exactly the same postition this year as last year. Need fish! Forgot to order! I was so glad to find this thread with all your great help from last year. I will likely head out to Bustleton Ave to check out Bell's and Abes. Anyone with any new experiences at these places or something not listed?

I am in exactly the same postition this year as last year.  Need fish!  Forgot to order!  I was so glad to find this thread with all your great help from last year.  I will likely head out to Bustleton Ave to check out Bell's and Abes.  Anyone with any new experiences at these places or something not listed?

Famous in Holland is taking orders. Just ordered mine yesterday. Not to far from Abes and Bell's but worth the trip.

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

I am in exactly the same postition this year as last year.  Need fish!  Forgot to order!  I was so glad to find this thread with all your great help from last year.  I will likely head out to Bustleton Ave to check out Bell's and Abes.  Anyone with any new experiences at these places or something not listed?

Famous in Holland is taking orders. Just ordered mine yesterday. Not to far from Abes and Bell's but worth the trip.

Todd, is Famous fish that good or is it more a matter of precious few choices around here (Holland/Netwown)

I ask because I'm not a big fan of their other kosher style fare. I suppose working in Manhatten for 10 years has spoiled me forever.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Abe's has closed, though I haven't confirmed this myself.

We've been extremely pleased with the fish we get from Little Dipper in Elkins Park. It's a restaurant and take-out deli across from the old Ashbourne Market. The guy who slices the fish is the same one who worked at Ashbourne Market before it closed. We've been very happy with the nova, kippered salmon and sable. While you're there, you can also go around the corner for the best NY Style bagels in the region, at the kosher bakery whose name is escaping me at the moment.

I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Abe's has closed, though I haven't confirmed this myself.

I'll probably be driving past Abe's tonight. It would be closed for the day anyway, but I'll try to see if it looks like it's still in business. Or could you be thinking of the Brooklyn Bagels next door to them? BB's been closed for several years now.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I'll probably be driving past Abe's tonight. It would be closed for the day anyway, but I'll try to see if it looks like it's still in business. Or could you be thinking of the Brooklyn Bagels next door to them? BB's been closed for several years now.

I could be wrong but the owner past away last year some time of cancer.( not 100% sure). There really is no other in the area. Your selection is thin. Ben and Irv's in H. Valley, Famous in Holland and Steve Steins Famous in the Krewstown Shopping center. Nothing can compare to the New York deli's. I have to say that the fish platters at Famous in Holland have always been great. I have known the owners for a very long time and always beem fare with me.

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me