• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Early Thanksgiving...

zeffer81

To make a very long story short, my dad was in the intensive care unit for over a month. it was a cliffhanger for a while, but he made it out ok and it doing great now. we're having an "early thanksgiving" themed party to celebrate his combo 60th birthday/welcome home from the hospital/thank you to all our friends. we want to have a thanksgiving menu with a twist. we were thinking make your own carved turkey sandwiches, but i'm open to suggestions beyond that...cranberry relish instead of sauce? potato pancakes instead of mashed?

help a girl out!

thanks a lot...

Glad to hear your dad is doing better - that's great news!

I went to Thanksgiving at a relative's house last year and brought a cranberry-apple chutney as my contribution. It was very easy to make, can be made ahead, and was a huge hit! Here's a link to the recipe: click!

This might be more prep work than you were thinking of doing, but what about having everything be finger-food sized, and turning it into a Thanksgiving-themed cocktail party? You know, mini open-faced turkey sandwiches (maybe toasted brioche round, a little of that chutney, and a small piece of turkey), little potato pancakes (with sour cream or creme fraiche and some herbs), squash or sweet potato tartlets...could be fun! Also might be a little less day-after-Thanksgiving-y and more generally autumnal and festive!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

There are some nice suggestions in this current discussion:

"Reimaging Thanksgiving, Charting a new course for the holiday"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My SIL made Curried Buttercup Squash and Apple Soup http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?ty...ue&resultNo=125

not for Thanksgiving but a fall get together (or maybe you could make pumpkin soup). I was surprised to see soup at a buffet but it was great. She served in mugs, so it was very easy to eat.

Cornbread might be nice. The make your own turkey sandwiches sounds like a great idea, have a whole bunch of different breads or mini rolls, gravey, cranberry relish, mayo. Maybe some warmed apple cider.

Cranberry mustard was a big hit here on saturday....just canned whole cranberry sauce mixed with brown mustard :biggrin:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I went to a party recently where the caterer served what was essentially twice baked red potatoes. they were cut in half and stood like little cups on the tray. The "filling" seemed to be potato, cream, goat cheese and a little bacon with chives on top. So tasty.

I went to a party recently where the caterer served what was essentially twice baked red potatoes.  they were cut in half and stood like little cups on the tray.  The "filling"  seemed to be potato, cream, goat cheese and a little bacon with chives on top.  So tasty.

OMG - that sounds delicious. I think I've found a nibble for my next party! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

best wishes to your dad for a good recovery.

really good bread is a must. we make both portugese sweet bread(don't know if it is in your dad's food profile) and oatmeal bread so we can eat the turkey sandwiches - we don't eat the turkey for dinner - that's for the sandwiches later!!

cranberry orange relish and ( i know but i grew up with it) miracle whip.

how about some brussel sprouts with bacon and a vinagrette for a side?

my favorite thing though are white sweets that are baked then scooped out, and the innerds mashed and mixed with some maple syrup and white pepper then restuffed and baked.

some butternut squash soup? with bacon?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I went to a party recently where the caterer served what was essentially twice baked red potatoes.  they were cut in half and stood like little cups on the tray.  The "filling"  seemed to be potato, cream, goat cheese and a little bacon with chives on top.  So tasty.

yummm....i think i'll go with that, the mini turkey sandwiches, individual servings of pumpkin mousse, cranberry daquiris (from an old gourmet mag)...any thoughts on making a cocktail-sized twist on coleslaw?

thanks for the suggestions so far...the wheels are turning!