• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

favorite reading material

Favorite magazines (food or otherwise)?

Favorite websites (ditto)?

Favorite food writers?

Least favorite of these things?

Tim

BTW - I totally agree about chowhound. It's going the way of the Food TV forum - far too much censoring. All the good people are heading off to eGullet and Bourdain's Leftovers on Yahoo.

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

Favorite

Magazines: Mojo...the New Yorker...Sunday Times London (the Mag) particularly for AA Gill...I loath Vanity Fair--but read it for Chris Hitchens...Dishwasher Magazine (a fanzine type thing that's wonderful--passed by hand like Samizdat), amd of course I dearly miss the days of the old SPY mag...Creem, New York Rocker...nothing to replace them..I read everything anyway as I spend a lot of time in airports.

Websites:  hairytongue.com--particularly the fat-tongued oliver gallery   cheftalk.com ..ontherail.com....smokinggun.com...ganglandnews.com

Food Writers: AA Gill...Jim Harrison...Trillin...I liked Molly O Neal's old Times column....Mimi Sheraton's stuff is prickly and fun...I have a very soft spot for Ruth Reichl's books (surprising, huh?), but am usually more interested in wrirting on cooks than on cooking: ie: Bememlmans, Freeling, Orwell...

As far as least favorite? So much of print journalism is just so lazy--and deliberately false. See the recent Harpers Bazaar piece on Sexy Chefs..Total bullshit--and they know it. They could easily have peeked just a little bit deeper and had an interesting story--but chose--as usual in such pieces to basically stick with the generally perceived wisdom--that chefs are just basically--hot-and that it must be dreamy to be hooked up with one. As any chef--or chef;s significant other will tell you--that's far from the truth. Vanity Fair's latest--in fact anybody's latest on the movements and couplings of a bunch of right wing, geriatric socialites--and their coddled and clueless offspring fill me with murderous rage. To include Dominick Dunne's non- trial related blatherings..anything by Taki...anything about Tom Cruise--as you are not allowed to write anything about him not approved by his flacks--a situation Pol Pot would have been proud of--see latest sloppy hummer to Elaine's--center of the world for flabby-assed white guys--puffy celebrity profiles that ignore the obvious..any knee jerk liberal or knee jerk right wing idealogue..snobby websites run by Comic-Book Guy-like wonks who know shit about shit...food writers who think we give a shit about their depressing, arid, candy-ass personal lives--and who have probably never given nor received decent oral sex in their lives...I could go on all day...

abourdain

Bourdain, you couldn't even list eGullet amongst your favourite Web sites in a chat on eGullet. That's stone cold.  :wow:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM