• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do-it-yourself coffee pods

jgm

Recently, I was sent a coupon to get a free B&D Home Cafe brewer. Yep, a free coffee maker. I guess they're trying to get more of these in more homes so they can sell more pods. Whatever.

After a bit of experimentation, I have found only one brand I like, and I have to mail order it. So not only am I paying for a more expensive cup of coffee to begin with, I'm paying shipping and handling on it, too. I'm not sure I can get excited about that, despite the wonderful convenience.

My husband and I work different shifts, so we're not drinking coffee at the same time, and the idea of a one-cup-at-a-time brew is very appealing.

Which brings me to the do-it-yourself pods. They are plastic and mesh, and are refillable. You can use any kind of coffee you want.

Has anybody tried these? Any hints or tips? Brand preferences?

Recently, I was sent a coupon to get a free B&D Home Cafe brewer.  Yep, a free coffee maker.  I guess they're trying to get more of these in more homes so they can sell more pods.  Whatever.

After a bit of experimentation, I have found only one brand I like, and I have to mail order it.  So not only am I paying for a more expensive cup of coffee to begin with, I'm paying shipping and handling on it, too.  I'm not sure I can get excited about that, despite the wonderful convenience. 

My husband and I work different shifts, so we're not drinking coffee at the same time, and the idea of a one-cup-at-a-time brew is very appealing.

Which brings me to the do-it-yourself pods.  They are plastic and mesh, and are refillable.  You can use any kind of coffee you want.

Has anybody tried these?  Any hints or tips?  Brand preferences?

I suspect more and more brands will become available in pods as the the one cup makers find wider acceptance. Even at about $.25 each the grounds are probably nearly as cheap as the water you'll use, and it's a lot cheaper than having coffee anywhere else!

SB (never drinks just one cup of coffee) :blink:

I have a Senseo and got one of the plastic refillable pods made by the Dutch.

I have yet to get this pod to work properly, simply a weak result no matter how I fill it.

I buy my Senseo pods at Smart & Final wholesale grocers. Regular price is 3.99 for 18 pods.

However I buy 4 cases at a time and get a price break which works out to 3.59 for a bag of 18 pods. The flavored ones are only 16 to the bag but I don't buy them.

This week Target has the pods for 3.84. Occasionally Wal-Mart has them on sale for about the same.

Target also carries Juan Valdez Columbian Supremo pods 18 for 4.99, comes in a box and the pods are individually sealed in envelopes. They fit the Senseo very well.

They also carry, as do some Wal-Mart stores, the Millstone "Home Cafe" pods which fit the Senseo.

The ones that do not fit are the single pods made by Mellita.

Let me finish this by saying that I did not drink much coffee prior to getting the Senseo (sent to me by a friend who was testing them). I was basically a tea fancier because brewed coffee always tasted a bit "off" to me - not strong enough and tasted stale a short time after brrewing.

I love the taste of the Senseo brewed coffee, especially their dark roast. I can drink it in the evening and it will not keep me awake. Of course I doctor it with Splenda and half and half, heated in the microwave before I brew a double serving into my big mug.

I still drink tea but not as much as I did pre-Senseo.

I have given several as gifts. They are allowed in college dorms where regular coffee makers (with an exposed heating element) are forbidden.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett