• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some Recent Stuff

Redwinger

A few from the last week or so:

1996 Rosemont GSM

Dark, almost purple color that does little to indicate this is a wine almost 10 years old. Black fruit and whiffs of meaty bacon on the nose. The promise on the nose unfortunately came up short on the palate. Medium bodied. Little of the bacon notes came through on the palate. Still plenty of black fruit, but the American oak was a distraction.

1996 J L Chave Hermitage Rouge

I really didn’t want to pull this into the queue, but while rummaging for orphans I noticed some stickiness on the capsule. Yup, a leaker, so I pulled the cork on what turned out to be very expensive vinegar. Bummer.

1998 Mont Redon CdP

Another bummer. Sum mo bitch was corked.

2004 Saint M Riesling(Pfalz)#0105

A collaborative effort between Loosen and Ch Ste. Michelle bottled by Villa Wolf. Sparkling straw/golden hue, medium bodied, apricot, peach, and honey on the palate. Listed at 11% alc., with enough RS to remind the taster this is not trocken afterall. Ample, if not bracing, acidity provides just enough lift to clean up the finish and keep things interesting. Not the most complex Riesling, but at $10 it is tasty as well as an excellent value. Screwcapped.

Redwinger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"