• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cigar-friendly restaurants in Vancouver?

Little Frog

This may be a long shot as I realise that smoking is not the most socially acceptable postprandial activity these days... but I thought I would ask anyway!

Could anyone recommend a place where I could enjoy my after-dinner cigar without a) annoying the other guests and b) getting dirty looks? I can cope with the "ohmigosh, I did not know women smoked cigars!" and the "Are you sure it is not too strong for a small girl like you?", I am used to them by now! :laugh:

If the place in question had a decent selection of spirits (cognac and armagnac are my favourite pairings), that would be wonderful.

I used to go regularly to the Smoking Dog to enjoy a cigar with fellow aficionado Jean-Claude Ramond but it is just not the same anymore without him. I miss you, my friend :sad:

Some friends of mine mentioned Joe Fortes, any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle

This may be a long shot as I realise that smoking is not the most socially acceptable postprandial activity these days... but I thought I would ask anyway!

Could anyone recommend a place where I could enjoy my after-dinner cigar without a) annoying the other guests and b) getting dirty looks? I can cope with the "ohmigosh, I did not know women smoked cigars!" and the "Are you sure it is not too strong for a small girl like you?", I am used to them by now!  :laugh:

If the place in question had a decent selection of spirits (cognac and armagnac are my favourite pairings), that would be wonderful.

I used to go regularly to the Smoking Dog to enjoy a cigar with fellow aficionado Jean-Claude Ramond but it is just not the same anymore without him. I miss you, my friend :sad:

Some friends of mine mentioned Joe Fortes, any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Emmanuelle

Bacchus at the Wedgewood Hotel, I believe that they have a room for just that purpose? Very nice lounge too. (phone them if you want to know for sure)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Thank you very much for the recommendations!

The Wedgewood website does not mention a cigar room so I will indeed call them to check whether they still have one.

It's probably still allowed on the (beautiful) terrace at Cin Cin ( "The Double-Chin", as we called it back in the day)

:laugh: Hee! That is a good one!

I would not have thought of Cin Cin, thank you for the suggestion!

I would love to organize monthly cigar dinners if could find the right venue for that type of event... at the moment we are having them (in small committee) at my place but my balcony is definitely too small to hold us all!

Emmanuelle

Circolo is rather accommodating of cigar smokers on their back patio, or at least they used to be. I remember a ridiculously lavish business dinner from what seems like a lifetime ago which was followed up by port and cigars out on the patio... the rain that evening did nothing to dampen our merriment. Thankfully, we were living in Yaletown at the time and were only stumbling distance from home; after this dinner of great excess, stumbling was certainly the operative word.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Circolo is rather accommodating of cigar smokers on their back patio, or at least they used to be.  I remember a ridiculously lavish business dinner from what seems like a lifetime ago which was followed up by port and cigars out on the patio... the rain that evening did nothing to dampen our merriment.  Thankfully, we were living in Yaletown at the time and were only stumbling distance from home; after this dinner of great excess, stumbling was certainly the operative word.

Moosh, the last time I was there a year ago they still were very accommodating of cigar smokers - and Little Frog, several of them were women, so you'll fit right in!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Unfortunately Sausis on West Broadway just closed up.

They had a great ventilated indoor cigar room.

In the winter we usually go to the Reef on Main. They crank the heat for us.

One year we were on the deck smoking Cubans and Hondurans and sippin' rum while snow was cascading down along Man Street.

They had it so warm we were just in T-shirts.

slowfood/slowwine

Wow, and here I was, thinking I would have to puff on my Ramon Allones on my balcony from now on :laugh:

Thank you very much everyone for all your recommendations!

I was really sad to see Sausi's close. Their cigar room was very nice and I enjoyed the atmosphere very much.

The Reef sounds like a brilliant idea... sometimes I am just in the mood for a casual dinner, some dark rum and a good smoke... sounds like this would be a perfect place for that!

Emmanuelle

Havanna on Commercial north of First avenue. They are the only place I know of that offers you your food menu alongside a "cigar" menu. Order both or save the cigar for dessert.

Cuban of course.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Havanna on Commercial north of First avenue.  They are the only place I know of that offers you your food menu alongside a "cigar" menu.  Order both or save the cigar for dessert.

Cuban of course.

Not that their food is any Cuban... :raz:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf