• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rational Combi Ovens

ducphat30

On 6/15/2023 at 12:36 PM, MikeMac said:

Update:

The Rational has been the single most reliable piece of kitchen equipment I’ve ever owned. We’ve been using it almost daily for quite a few years we’ve had to replace the door gasket, which was easy and our only other expense has been rational brand cleaning tablets.

That's great to hear. The surprising part is that they support home installations at all. Most commercial equipment companies won't even talk to you. They specifically say non-commercial use voids any warranties, and the installers don't want to have anything to do with it. Is Rational unusual in this respect, or are things different in the US and Canada?

I'm having a hell of a time finding a range hood that works ... there are no domestic hoods that work even a fraction as well as commercial ones. But the commercial hood installers won't return my calls. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

That's great to hear. The surprising part is that they support home installations at all. Most commercial equipment companies won't even talk to you. They specifically say non-commercial use voids any warranties, and the installers don't want to have anything to do with it. Is Rational unusual in this respect, or are things different in the US and Canada?

I'm having a hell of a time finding a range hood that works ... there are no domestic hoods that work even a fraction as well as commercial ones. But the commercial hood installers won't return my calls. 

I have a Vent-a-hood that is great. I've no idea about a comparison to commercial hoods, but mine really sucks!

Update:

The Rational has been the single most reliable piece of kitchen equipment I’ve ever owned. We’ve been using it almost daily for quite a few years we’ve had to replace the door gasket, which was easy and our only other expense has been rational brand cleaning tablets.

The Rational people that I have dealt with here in Canada have been amazing they don’t care when the last time I bought anything was they just want to make sure that I am happy and answer my at sometimes simplistic questions.

I compare this with some of my friends that have installed high-end residential equipment for the same or more money they’ve had more service and less support I am extremely happy with this purchase.

With our aging taste buds and digestion systems we are getting more into steaming and simpler seafood.  Of course, the rational has us covered and delivers an excellent product. 

Sooner or later, we’re going to have to downsize one of my requirements in the new place is making sure I can get one of these ovens in maybe a bit smaller I think the deciding factor will be the electrical service available 

• Like 2

Mike Macdonald Calgary

there are smaller Rational ovens

2090853.jpg.e9e4519517ae3d0f595d5191baa76ba1.jpg

240 V  single phase 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/rational-icombi-pro-6-pan-half-size-electric-combi-oven-208-240v-1-phase/645ICP61H.html

probably these days , 20 K after installation and hood that meets code.

well worth it id say .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I had a top of the line Gaggenau  oven before the Rational it was pathetic I had issues with the oven the support was through their dealership program was non existent big bills and inexperienced very expensive technicians that did not carry parts and blamed Germany for everything waited months for parts that were wrong best thing I ever did was admit defeat and tear it out horrible experience all round.

Rational on the other hand has real direct employees always willing to support their service companies, when I changed out the door gasket their were  multiple local dealerships that stocked parts allowing completive quotes.   I only use the Rational brand cleaning and descaling products in the oven again same thing locally available from multiple sources at what I consider to be very reasonable prices.

Similar experience with CaptiveAire the venting company exhaust fan is mounted horizontally and has vibration dampeners that wore out they diagnosed what was wrong over the phone recommend a local dealer parts were cheap quickly shipped and cost effectively installed.  Plus the CaptiveAire hood and ventilation system was CHEAPER than the high end residential offered and I like the simple stainless look much better matched the Rational.

Yes takes a bit more room and you need to follow commercial clearances - we completely lined the oven cavity with stainless to pass same cost as high end tile and again has stood the test of time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mike Macdonald Calgary