• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Camouflage.

On A Cook's Tour you're wearing an attractive camouflage tank-top. Is there an anecdote about this item of playwear?

Also, despite having spent so much time in S.E. Asia there is no mention of Ladyboys in your writing. Are you holding this back for a subsequent publication, e.g. a coffee-table book?

I have never regretted so deeply the buying of a garment. The item in question was cheap, Cambodian leisure wear--aquired in Phnom Penh, which I happened to be wearing (it's HOT in Cambodia) for a snapshot my friend and boss Philippe took. The masterminds at Bloomsbury thought it was cover material--and I was too cowed, too tired, too lazy--and too grateful to even be published to put up much of a fight. Of course I now have to look at myself looking like Rambo's crackhead brother in bookstores all over the world--and put up with a huge ration of shit every time my wife makes fun of me around the house--as in "Hey, Spambo---take out the garbage."

And as far as Ladyboys--I'm guessing you're talking about the pre-ops so prominently for rent in much of SE Asia?

abourdain