• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Havre aux Glaces!

sf&m

Thanks for the update Simon ... I'm thrilled to hear they have tamarind. Awesome.

I just went back today and I'm sorry to say they don't make tamarind anymore. They told me it just wasn't popular enough.

Oh, and the pineapple one is now pineapple and cinnamon.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Strawberry Sorbet for the first time this season (at Atwater).

It tasted just like fresh fruit and was refreshing.

I forgot to ask if the berries were local (they were jammed-it was St-Jean).

oh,

that is too bad about the tamarind, would've loved that.

the pear-porto is excellent, but I think the pineau-melon is a real show-stopper. thinking of the guests I was receiving I got the also fabulous mango-malai...mango, passion fruit, banana and yogurt. tangy and bright...

I'm still a sucker for their chocolate noir & expresso ice creams, and my all time favourite cold treat, lemon sorbet. Though, I've yet to have anything from HaG that disappoints!

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass

• 2 months later...

Two new flavours:

Dark Chocolate & Blueberries

Pear and Ice Cider

The Chocolate and blueberries is an accurate sorbet rendition of the Quebec Chocolate Covered Bluberries. Dark cocolate with and blueberry tang finish just like the "real thing".

The Pear and Icecider is similarily a pear opening with a apple cider finish..

Personally I prefer the single flavour sorbets but these are interesting addition to the HaG palette

Would be interesting if they could do some fall flavours like plum, or how about ground cherries? That's an elusive rich flavour. And isn't the french name for them "amour en cage" ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought their coconut last week. I don't think it's a new one though, but it was excellent. very smooth and silky.

I walked in there hoping they'd have it and they did, and I put it on a very buttery spiced banana bundt cake, with caramelized bananas.

I'm going to the market today, I want to try the clementine!

Maple ice cream studded with little shards of tire a l'erable. IMHO heads & tails better than another popular cremerie that sells something similar at this time of year. I was blown away ... you will be too! :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...
Maple ice cream studded with little shards of tire a l'erable.  IMHO heads & tails better than another popular cremerie that sells something similar at this time of year.  I was blown away ... you will be too!    :biggrin:

would this be the same one as their "creme glacee a la creme brulee a l'erable"?

I had this one the other day and it tasted kind of burnt. I know a creme brulee is burnt, but it wasn't the bits of creme brulee crackling that I'm talking about. I mean the erable in the creme glacee tasted like it was made with molasses rather than maple syrup. However, a trip to the new Bilboquet in Westmount provided a far superior tire a l'erable treat.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I tasted the Creme Brule l'erable. I don't think they claim its "tire"... that is taffy, right. Tasted like a creamy cold Creme Brule to me, with - yes - that nice toasted taste. I liked it. Nice rendition of Creme Brule. The Maple syrup taste was not very noticable though, I think you're right there, Ribo.

Could be the toasting covers up the maple taste.

I also tried he new (?) "Tangerine Miel".... that and also a recent taste of the Clementine, left me somwhat dissapointed. There was not the usual hyper-real fruit notes thay usually have - they seemed a bit metallic. Maybe a bit more sweetness would have brought out the fruit flavour better.

As I remember the Clementine last year was better. The blood orange I find their current best among the citrus flavours....

Ginger!

Hadn't tried that before. Mild, clean ginger taste, just enough to tickle ze ol' buds..

Also, Apricot Beer (!) was on the board last weekend, but not available... Promised for this week.

Who will be the first?

Ginger!

Hadn't tried that before. Mild, clean ginger taste, just enough to tickle ze ol' buds..

Also, Apricot Beer (!)  was on the board last weekend, but not available... Promised for this week.

Who will be the first?

I had a St-Ambroise Oatmeal stout sorbet a couple of weeks ago. While it was too bitter for a sorbet and not balanced enough, I liked it a lot since I'm a fan of that beer. They stopped selling it right away though. It might have worked better for an ice cream.

• 5 months later...

Choco- Bluet came and went. Make sure you try it next year! Gritty chocolate goes great with the blue berries. They are back to the choco-cheries now. The blue berry version is much better.

Also - heads up... did not have the Cassis stanby for a long while... well the new batch is the best I've had. It's so over the top I recommend swirling in some of their vanilla - it's a super great sweet & tart combination.

Edited by sf&m (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Are they still open, or are they seasonal? I haven't been able to find a website with any info, and I hat having to ask here - but what are their hours and opening times if they're still open. And, of course, I'd love to know if there are any harvest season flavors? (Ground cherry, perhaps?)

Edited by lambretta76 (log)

I believe the stand at Atwater market is seasonal, but the one at Jean Talon is open year-round. They even have hot chocolate now :wub:

The latest seasonal ice cream flavour is pumpkin with something else (can't remember what the other ingredient was, but they had it on Saturday when I was last there, although it was too early in the morning for ice cream, so I skipped it). Does anyone else know what it was?

Hey Cheryl.... never to early for HAG sorbets... :)

If I remember correctly the store at JTM is open until 6 pm. Opens at 10 am at least.

Yeah to ground cherry!!

Seems to me they have slowed down the pace of new entries in the last 2 years or so... more bringing back old favourites as the seasons pass. I imagiine it could be a matter of shelf space if nothing else.

At one time thay had a pumpkin and cloudberry..... I managed to get a 1/2 liter then it was gone and I never saw it again. Cloudberry would be an expensive ingredient I suppose...