• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Havre aux Glaces!

sf&m

This thread is for tracking new flavours at Havre aux Glaces. ONLY! Reviews and tasting experiences are also welcome.

Disclosure: I am not connected with Havre aux Glaces in any way, except via my tastebuds.

Havre aux Glaces is located at Jean Talon market in the new extension, south side.

Someone mentioned a site in Lachine also?

Tasting tip:

They provide little samples on spoons on request but I find a better way of trying out new flavours is their minature cones for $1 each.

Recent experiences:

- Blueberry/Rubarb now gone and replaced with Blueberry. True Clean Blueberry flavour. Very serious effort!

- Mango....We're talking dripping-down-your-chin-ripe mango flavour, only it's cold and creamy.

- Grapefruit - Captures an elegant subtle bitterness

Not to mention old standbys such as Ice Cider sorbet and Pistachio Ice cream of outstanding quality.

What's Your favourite flavour?

As I mentioned in the Dispatches thread, the new pomme épicée sherbet is a winner. I'm also much taken with the almond milk and nougat ice creams these days. And let's not forget the cassis sherbet, which you were the first to rave about (one of the owners insisted I try it with the vanilla and even added a half-scoop of the white stuff free of charge; he was right). Blood orange sherbet is probably my absolute favourite; I'm already looking forward to March. The only two flavours that don't do much for me are the green tea ice cream (just too intense, though it probably would be fine in the right context) and the dulce de leche ice cream (OK but bland; or maybe it's that it's without relief and should be done as a swirl, like Haagen Dazs's). And much as I like their plain cream ice cream, it'd be that much better if they made it with crème fraîche.

BTW, the new branch is just behind the Atwater Market, next to the Lachine Canal but definitely not in Lachine. Expect it will be closing for the winter soon.

This thread needs some pics!

Edited by carswell (log)

Funny, cassis was one of the only flavours there that didn't wow me.

Sorry for sounding like a foodie here, but when you have tasted the cassis in Dijon and Lyon, that other stuff doesn't even come close. It lacks a certain special zing I remember. I think the HdG's cassis is local, no?

Edited by Lesley C (log)

Lesley, Have you tried The Creme de Cassis from Ferme Perignon in Hatley?

It's available at JTM Marche des Saveurs and in some SAQs.

I am not so keen on it straight. I prefer maybe an ounce to a glass of water. One first thing every morning... And it's local and QC made.... always a big +++ in my book.

Been meaning to compare it to the French Creme de Cassis avaliable at SAQ. Would be interesting to know where HaG gets it from. I know their Ice cider sorbet uses Clos Saint-Denis Cider.

I am not so keen on it straight. I prefer maybe an ounce to a glass of water. One first thing every morning... And it's local and QC made.... always a big  +++ in my book.

do you follow that with an irish coffee and beer with your wheaties? :laugh:

i will check it out did not know about quebec cassis

Hey, it's good for you!!

Stopped by JTM this morning and Ferme Perignon is offering tastings today, at Marche des Saveurs, so head on up there. They also offer a Cassis Aperitif..... but I recommend the Creme above that, for sure.

Also stopped by HaG, and they are indeed using Ferme Perignon Black Currants in their Cassis.

They also get their blueberries from Ferme Perignon. They are very careful about selecting their fruit, quality and freshness of course , pesticide free etc.

Heads up - new flavour..... Cloudberry!!!

They just got one kilo of cloudberry to work with so this batch will be gone fast. At first I though it was a bit too sweet, and I told them so. Feel bad about it now becasue it's really very good. Subtle, but excellent. Coming from Scandianvia I've picked my share of Cloudberries. Picking 1 kilo is a lot of work. They were the prize of the season really, if you could get them before the bears got them (just kidding)... But Cloudberries being so subtle, sweetness was always a problem in preserves, I thought. Of course I got 1/2 liter of HaG Cloudberry Sorbet and when I got home, I felt that my inital judgement was bit harsh. Sorry! Since it's thanksgiving, here's a THANKS for Northern Fruits and Havre aux Glaces. Hats off!

Funny tidbit... in talking to one of the (or maybe THE) creator(s), he almost apologized because as he said his brain had been tired from the Summer rush, so he felt he had not created much new lately !!!!!!. So thats about to change!!!!!!!

As per prevous post.... MON DIEU!!

Sorry for sounding like a foodie here, but when you have tasted the cassis in Dijon and Lyon, that other stuff doesn't even come close. It lacks a certain special zing I remember. I think the HdG's cassis is local, no?

sf&m's cited chapter and verse but I mentioned this last spring in the Dispatches thread. At the time, one of the HaG brothers told me "the red currants come from North Hatley and claimed that, in large part due to agricultural practices used, they are superior to European fruit." (As I recall, the agricultural practices were the use of pesticides, fungicides and chemical fertilizers.) Not taking sides here — I don't think I've ever consumed French red currants except in the form of crème de cassis — just pointing out that their take on the fruit is 180º from yours.

Heads up - new flavour..... Cloudberry!!!

Now that's interesting. I've been told that the Lower North Shore and southern Labrador are cloudberry heaven, the fruit more plentiful and, if anything, higher in quality that Scandinavia's. Have always wondered why we don't see more of it; it's so prized in Sweden. For several years I've had the fantasy of making a cloudberry eau-de-vie along the lines of framboise or kirsch; it'd probably catch the soul of the fruit better than that goopy Chicoutai the SAQ sells. Maybe after I win the lottery...

Edited by carswell (log)

I was at Havre aux glaces today too. I'm a bit confused though since the new flavor I tasted was pumpkin, orange AND cloudberry. Was there a cloudberry only sorbet earlier today or did you mean this one?

By the way, the one I tasted was excellent! Fresh, a nice balance of sweetness and acidity with the texture of the pumpkin flesh to round it all up. It's a blessing to live so close to them.

Patrice :biggrin:

Cassis is black currant, not red. Red currant is groseille.

When I interviewed Robert and Richard Lachapelle they gave me the same sort of line. They can say what they want, but taste-wise, IMO, the French cassis is just more full-bodied.

Simon, you are right it is Cloudberry, Pumpkin and orange. But I think Cloudberry is supposed to be the guiding light in the flavour.

Carswell, there is a Finnish Cloudberry Liqueur you can order from The Northener Here

It's $45 US for 500 ml so if you can make it, maybe you don't have to win the lottery

Lesley, have you tasted the French Cream De Cassis carried by SAQ and is it representative of what you can find in France?

Edited by sf&m (log)

• 2 weeks later...

They now serve Hot Chocolate with a dollop of ice cream of your choice.

The chocolate is the consistency of heavy cream..It suited me fine with some of their vanilla...

He uses a 66% chocolate.... Name started with N... but can't remember it now...

/gth

Lenotre Belgian chocolate? Not quite. Lenotre put its name on a couverture by Cacao Barry, which in turn was bought by Callebaut to make Barry Callebaut. I guess it's a round about way to call Lenotre Belgian, but I would think they would prefer thinking of themselves as French.

Oops... I stand corrected!!

Actually I have a great excuse!!

Yesterday when I was going indulge myself with a cup upstairs in their little shop I "sat down" at one of their little tables - too close to the stairs and manged to tumble over backwards down the concrete stairs!! It seemed it took for ever to reach the bottom and meanwhile I am thinking of the chocolate going everywhere and what an ass I am making of myself. Quite hilarious actually since no major damage was done (except some major bruises to body and ego)...

Ah, the work and risks involved in being a dedicated foodie!

So you see it's no wonder I got Belgium and France discombulated! :)

Highly recommended - but watch out for those stairs!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday when I was going indulge myself with a cup upstairs in their little shop I "sat down"  at one of their little tables - too close to the stairs and manged to tumble over backwards down the concrete stairs!!  It seemed it took for ever to reach the bottom and meanwhile I am thinking of the chocolate going everywhere and what an ass I am making of myself.  Quite hilarious actually since no major damage was done (except some major bruises to body and ego)...

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this thread needs pics!

• 1 month later...

New flavors alert!!!

For a while, Havre-aux-glace have been serving a chestnut ice cream which was really dense and smooth.

The newest flavor I've seen there was a clementine sorbet. Yummy! Light, somewhat sweet but with a hint of bitterness. A nice balance.

Just make sure you leave me some!

Patrice

Not exactly a new flavour but...

Though their current supply is dwindling, the SAQ stocks a selection of Alvelar's Sherry-like wines from Montilla-Moriles. They range from bone dry to tooth-achingly sweet and are impressive across the board, especially the dry Amontillado Carlos VII (a perfect aperitif with toasted almonds and anchovy-stuffed green olives) and the sweet but fresh Solera Cream. Last week I bought a bottle of the only one I hadn't tried, the most expensive ($25/375 ml) of the lot, the Pedro Ximenez. Woah! At least as dense and sweet as maple syrup, though with a far more complex flavour, this was a bit like drinking liquified raisins and, as such, was hard for me to appreciate (I've since learned to take only tiny sips). Worried that I'd never make it through the bottle, I started looking for other uses and recalled a few wine geeks swearing by PX as a topping for vanilla ice cream. That always struck me as a faddish conceit (a bit like the suggested pairing of corn chips or popcorn with vintage Champagne). Well, it doesn't anymore. Drizzled on Havre aux Glaces's killer vanilla, it made a sublime dessert. Serve it in a cocktail glass with an almond tuile or other crisp cookie and you'll have a final course suitable for even fancy dinners and discriminating palates.

Edited by carswell (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A couple of new flavors have made their way into Le havre aux glaces counter.

Pineapple sorbet: Very fruity and refreshing

Melon and Pineau des Charentes sorbet: Subtle and perfumy

Rhubarb and ginger: A nice idea though the texture could be better and the cristallized ginger adds too much sweetness to my taste

And my new favorite: Tamarind! Sweet and sour, a really good acidity balance, very very refreshing. I just hope they'll keep doing it for a while.

They also sell ice cream and sorbet sandwiches now.