• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanillia Ice Cream

frogprincess

I've never made a vanilla ice cream that did not have a cooked custard base, so I can't tell you what the difference is. But I'd be awfully suprised if the uncooked versions are as smooth and rich!

If you're looking for a recipe recommendation, may I humbly recommend Sherry Yard's recipe from The Secrets of Baking? Its da bomb, which is to say, delicious.

gallery_23736_355_12516.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've never made a vanilla ice cream that did not have a cooked custard base, so I can't tell you what the difference is. But I'd be awfully suprised if the uncooked versions are as smooth and rich!

If you're looking for a recipe recommendation, may I humbly recommend Sherry Yard's recipe from The Secrets of Baking? Its da bomb, which is to say, delicious.

gallery_23736_355_12516.jpg

As usual, Patrick, your food and photos are scrumptious. :raz:

Ilene

Generally, ice cream bases that are uncooked have no eggs, so are less rich.

If you have a recipe that does not call for cooking, yet still has eggs in it, then there is

the risk of eating uncooked eggs, which in all reality, is not that big a risk. But still.

I prefer cooking my ice cream bases, because I like to use egg yolks...especially in

vanilla ice cream.......deee-lish! Also, the process of cooking your base with the yolks

thickens it a little, which makes an even creamier ice cream. :smile:

maybe your thinking of gelato not being cooked.

If you do not have egg yolks in your recipe it is not necessary to cook anything. Though even sorbet should be cooked to help infuse flavors and dissolve the sugar thoroughly. Also as Anne noted cooking it to thicken is called bringing the mixture to custard stage in which would cover the back of a spoon when dipped and pulled out. There is a significant difference between a raw mixture and a properly performed custard. Also with a custard a greater amount of air can be distributed when processing in an ice cream machine. as gelato is much denser and needs to be about 10-15 degrees higher temp than ice cream it does not need the added air that ice cream needs, so there obviously is no need to cook to thicken.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I just started making icecream this summer and my family would agree with me saying that cooked is way better. It's smoother and richer. I made a few that had eggs and weren't cooked and they didn't hold a candle to the cooked stuff. And you'll have left over eggwhites to make IMBC with. :)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

If you do not have egg yolks in your recipe it is not necessary to cook anything.

I don't think this is correct. Perhaps there's an SSB (smug scientific bastard) around who'll chime in but I believe taking milk to almost the boiling point has some effect in the ice cream process.

Alton Brown's "Serious Vanilla Ice Cream" is eggless and is cooked (and tastes great!). He touches on the fact that the heat does something to the dairy but doesn't come right out and say what it is:

Transcript of the Good Eats episode "Churn, Baby, Churn"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My ice cream has gotten alot creamier since I've been making sure to bring my base to 180'. It denatures the protiens (or so says McGee, I believe). I also add a touch of alcohol (I like Maker's Mark in vanilla ice cream) and that helps keep it from freezing as solid and also changes the crystal formation. My science resoning could be off, but the results have been great. I also strain through a fine chinois before cooling.