• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bechamel Sauce

Whenever a recipe calls for milk, I would use whole milk, since the higher fat content may be essential. You could probably use 2% milk, but it wouldn't turn out as . . . creamy.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Whenever a recipe calls for milk, I would use whole milk, since the higher fat content may be essential.  You could probably use 2% milk, but it wouldn't turn out as . . .  creamy.

While I agree that the bechemel won't be as "creamy," one rarely eats bechemel by itself. Once incorporated into the rest of the recipe, the lower fat of 2%, 1%, or even skim milk may not be noticible. I always use skim, myself, because there are too many other sources of fat.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

If you have a choice, whole milk is probably your best bet, but if you only have 1% or 2%, they'll work fine. I use 1% because that's what we have, and since I rarely eat a bechamel just plain - usually it's a base for a cheese sauce or for layering in a casserole - how rich the sauce tastes alone is a minor factor. If it's a major factor, I'll throw in a tablespoon or so of heavy cream and be done with it. I've made very nice souffles with 1% milk bechamels.

I should mention the caveat that unless I'm doing a head to head taste test and paying attention, I can't taste the difference between 1%, 2%, and whole milk. (Skim milk is the exception, which always tastes like water you've rinsed a paintbrush out in.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I always use whole milk, not because I am especially concerned about how rich the sauce will be when eaten on its own, but because I have found that whole milk absorbs the roux much better than milk with a lower fat content. It seems to me that lower fat content increases the probability that the sauce will split.