• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cactus (Prickly Pear) drink recipes?

Candice

Known of course as "Sabras" in Israel, many make a long drink of a glass of the juice with a shot of Arak or Pernod added. Best served on ice cubes. Of course don't forget the possibility of merely peeling them (take care for the thorns!) and simply feasting on the flesh of these delicious fruits.

I'm in the habit of buying exotic and unfamiliar foods out of curiousity without the slightest idea of what I'm going to do with them.  My latest purchase is a bag of cactus pears.  I was thinking of pureeing them and using the juice for cocktails.  Does anyone have any ideas or recipes?  Thanks!

What do they taste like?

If you're looking for puree drinks, surely you can't go wrong with a Mimosa-style mix of puree and champagne. :) If it is a sweeter fruit, use drier champagne, and if a drier fruit, use sweeter champagne.

Another option is making a cactus pear syrup. :)

As Daniel notes, if they haven't been pre cleaned, the outside skin of cactus pears has lots of tiny spines, and care must be taken while peeling. A pair of heavy duty rubber gloves is handy.

The flesh inside has many smallish and incredibly hard seeds. So be careful when chewing. You'll probably want to pass it through a strainer or food mill.

A shot of tequila, the juice of half a lime, and a couple ounces of cactus pear pure over ice or shaken and served up, makes a very nice cocktail.

Flavor reminds me a of a cross between watermelon and pink guava.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Bobby Flay has had cactus pear margaritas on the menu for years. It works well... you might want to try something along those lines.

I'm in the habit of buying exotic and unfamiliar foods out of curiousity without the slightest idea of what I'm going to do with them.  My latest purchase is a bag of cactus pears.  I was thinking of pureeing them and using the juice for cocktails.  Does anyone have any ideas or recipes?  Thanks!

Orchard Breeze

1 shot Morgan's Spiced Rum

1 shot Xante (swedish pear cognac liqueur)

1 shot pear puree

1 1/2 shot apple juice

Shake with ice, and then strain into ice-filled tall glass. Garnish with slices of pear, arranged into a fan shape.

I think this is the exact recipe, to the best of my memory.

Cheers!

George

This is a variation on a marg. Not user friendly to the average bar cause you need a stove.

First roast a poblano pepper. Stem the charred skin off by putting it in a plastic bag. De seed and stem, and puree till smooth.

2 Oz. Tequila

1/2 Oz Cointreau

3/4 lime juice

1 Oz Prickly Pear puree

1 bar spoon roasted poblano puree

MMMMMspicytequilagoodness

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE