• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Ami Louis

New Beverage

with all due respect to john talbott, & for his sagacity for allowing unedited communication,

i am a little surprised by the comments following my observations re: another's critique

why is it, that 1 is allowed to say what is on their mind regardless of the mindlessness, but another is not?

a) TG "I don't think so. Pierre's comments are very objective with only the slightest amount of subjectivity. You notice how he doesn't comment on the quality of the ingredients (which no one can argue is great) and the only "knock" is that Pierre doesn't sound like he agrees with the lofty prices."

WHY DON'T U RE-READ PIERRE'S COMMENTS. NO WHERE DOES HE MENTION PRICES, & WHY DOESN'T HE COMMENT ON THE INGREDIENTS?? IS HE EVEN CAPABLE TO REVIEW :raz:

"DOESN'T AGREE WITH LOFTY PRICES"- HE WASN'T PAYING!!!! HOW DOES HE KNOW?

"THE "ONLY" KNOCK..." - HOLY S__T! DID U EVEN READ??? :hmmm:

b) pierre:

"Here is the profile of the idividual that will like L'ami Louis.

-you don't like surprises in food. - NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING :huh:

-you like your food to be simple. - NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING :huh:

-you like huge portions - NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING :huh:

-rudeness does not bother you(we all know about the parisians,right?) NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING, PARTICULARLY THE PARISIAN COMMENT :huh:

-tables close to each other brings intimacy - ACTUALLY NOT EVEN TRUE :wacko:

-you are impressed to be in a famous restaurant - NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING :huh:

-you feel great to be across perhaps from a celebrity. - NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING :huh:

-you are rich or hope to be one - NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING :huh:

-loud voices from fellow americans makes you feel at home - NOT JUDGEMENTAL OR CONDESCENDING :huh:

if those comments are objective & NOT condescending, or with ONLY the slightest amount of subjectivity - i wish u would enlighten us all!!?? :angry:

c) raisab "I can see where one may get offended at this reply Pierre. I know you probably meant it tongue in cheek..."

did he, doesn't appear these were written "tongue-in-cheekish" :rolleyes:

d) pierre "I DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANY ONE by my personal observations about L'ami louis. REALLY :huh:

The points that i raised are not negative. U CAN'T BE SERIOUS :huh:

As human beeings we are all different and enjoy life differently.One is not a lesser person because one likes simple food ,or one feels good because there is a celebrity.

THX, I'M SURE WE ALL APPRECIATE "YOUR" VIEWS OF HUMAN "BEEINGS" :huh:

Also beeing loud is just an indication of beeing happy ,specially when silence in public is not equated with high breed which may be the case with some societies.

WOW! IF U DIDN'T MEAN TO OFFEND.... :huh: "NOT EQUATED....!! :wacko:

Every thing i said was factual based on many visits,fortunately as a guest.

MAYBE NEXT TIME, YOU SHOULD PAY

I also had a good time. :huh: HOW SO?

read your own words: ""Here is the profile of the individual that will like L'ami Louis." etc.....

IF these were personal observations, what does your introductory sentence appear to indicate??? additionally, on further reading, YOUR comments were ALL biased, now, SADLY, he is trying to justify his faux pas.

& finally, my favorite:

e) carlsbad "The last post is way out of line."

why don't u take the time & re-read the comments beginning with pierre & give us your interpretation

its unfortunate that so many, allow so few, to state their views; &

when They are called on it, all hell breaks loose.

Look within yourselves, but only after re-reading & see if u also arrive at the same conclusion as i did on my 1st go-around. AFTER RE-READING, ITS ABUNDANTLY CLEAR!

p.s. john, hopefully, we can have some REAL dialogue on EG

Edited by jgould (log)

I'd like to post 2 photos of l'Ami Louis here, but don't know how. Can someone help? I work on a Mac... thanks.

Just click on "ImageGullet" on the very top of the page. Create an album, upload your photo, and then get the URL for the uploaded photo. Copy the URL and then paste it in a reply here after clicking "IMG" in the code buttons box. I think there are more detailed instructions in the Egullet users guide on the main page.

jgould:

& finally, my favorite:

why don't u take the time & re-read the comments beginning with pierre & give us your interpretation

Since you asked, I will go against my better judgment and give my interpretation of Pierre's comments and yours as well.

Here is the profile of the idividual that will like L'ami Louis.

-you don't like surprises in food.

Pierre is saying exactly the same thing you said about the food. It doesn't change and therefore there will be no surprises. Or as you put it, while agreeing with fresh_a, who also said the same thing:

(fresh_a @ Oct 8 2005, 11:41 AM)

"I have, but, if you've been there before, you know it's the place that NEVER changes. Same staff. Same foie gras, steak/poulet roti, pyramidal pomme frites, and selection of fruit for dessert. Same huge bill. Same American tourist-trap (at times).

merci! i go every time in paris. to me, it is the quintessential bistro. yes, the perfection of the samesness is what draws me back. the amazing high prices keeps out a lot of tourists, so the clientele is "normally" comprised of many french regulars, many celeb regulars, & many wealthy american regulars which signify frequent visits to paris, not the 1-timers (generally speaking, of course). the 1-timers i know who have gone generally do NOT like the place: too rude, too brusque, too expensive. hopefully, L'Ami Louis will keep there sameness!!!

-you like your food to be simple

In my book roast chicken, fries and fruit for dessert are simple food. Is there any dispute about this?

-you like huge portions

jennahan made the same point: "The one thing that did strike me was the portions were very un-French (i.e., HUGE)." Is there any dispute that the portions are huge?

-rudeness does not bother you(we all know about the parisians,right?)

As you said:

the 1-timers i know who have gone generally do NOT like the place: too rude, too brusque, too expensive. hopefully, L'Ami Louis will keep there sameness!!!

Pierre's tongue-in-cheek comment about all Parisians is obvious if you have read any of his other posts.

-tables close to each other brings intimacy

I have never been to this place, but in the photos I have seen, the tables appear to be close together, more so than in most restaurants in the same price range. Is there a dispute that the tables are close together? Part of the bistro experience is the intimacy that comes from dining in tighter quarters.

-you are impressed to be in a famous restaurant

-you feel great to be across perhaps from a celebrity.

-you are rich or hope to be one

-loud voices from fellow americans makes you feel at home

These last four are related (and this has become too long. As you put it:

all tables were filled with either "celebs" (kevin kline, omar shariff, models, etc...) & what appeared to be french-speaking regulars.

don't misinterpret me - IT IS AMAZINGLY EXPENSIVE - IT CAN BE BRUSQUE - RESERVATIONS CAN BE SENSITIVE!!!

the amazing high prices keeps out a lot of tourists, so the clientele is "normally" comprised of many french regulars, many celeb regulars, & many wealthy american regulars which signify frequent visits to paris

Pierre's other post also noted that a review praised the quality of the ingredients. He states he enjoyed the place but thinks the prices are too high. Obviously, he knows the prices since he has seen the menu, and there seems to be no disagreement that the place is very expensive for what it is. I don't think there is much disagreement concerning what kind of place L'Ami Louis is. The only question is whether it is the type of place one enjoys. Some do and some don't. We all understand that you do.

The problem I had with your "out-of-line post" is that it was crude and a personal attack on Pierre.

(Edited to try to separate the quotes out. Will I ever learn how to use the quote feature on this thing?)

Edited by Carlsbad (log)

Thanks for interjecting some facts into this discussion.

There are lots of good restaurants in the world that are unadventurous and make a living out of serving very good, traditional, reliable unchanging food. A few that come to mind are Le Caprice and Wiltons in London, and say Dal Bolognese and Da Nino in Rome. I am sure that other people could come up with their own examples. All of these restaurants are very expensive, and have large local and tourist clienteles, and serve quite simple food, but of very high quality. So what's the disagreement about? To me the only point at issue is service: all of these restaurants have excellent service whereas L'ami Louis allegedly has rather poor service.

But maybe I have an overly Anglo-Saxon view of good service.

As they say in France

Parisien, tete de chien,

Parigo, tete de veau

One should be prepared to adapt to other cultures when one travels.

OK, let me try to reframe this one more time.

It is clear that l'Ami Louis arouses deep opinions and prompts disputed facts on the part of our members (COI disclosure: I am among the negative folks).

But, on this Forum we try to be helpful, informative and civil.

Can I respectfully suggest that if something has been said, one need not repeat it. It has been heard/recorded. Let us move on; there are bigger issues than l'Ami Louis.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

OK, let me try to reframe this one more time.

It is clear that l'Ami Louis arouses deep opinions and prompts disputed facts on the part of our members (COI disclosure: I am among the negative folks).

But, on this Forum we try to be helpful, informative and civil.

Can I respectfully suggest that if something has been said, one need not repeat it. It has been heard/recorded. Let us move on; there are bigger issues than l'Ami Louis.

John

john, u are once again a gentleman, and possibly more important, an excellent moderator/host.

although, i do have 1 comment, this topic IS appropiately titled, therefore logical re: l'ami louis issues, n'est-ce pas, s'il vous plaît? :biggrin:

Edited by jgould (log)

I had lunch there yesterday and I'm still recovering from the 3 huge slices of foie gras with toasted baguette, with Sauternes, followed by a dozen huge and very garlicky escargots with a glass of white Burngundy, fraises des bois from Malaga. I was alone and this cost me 140 euros.

here is a pic, I've only learned how to upload one at a time.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/11292724...917_1698498.jpg

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

jgould:

& finally, my favorite:

Since you asked, I will go against my better judgment and give my interpretation of Pierre's comments and yours as well.

Here is the profile of the idividual that will like L'ami Louis.

-you don't like surprises in food.

Pierre is saying exactly the same thing you said about the food.  It doesn't change and therefore there will be no surprises.  Or as you put it, while agreeing with fresh_a, who also said the same thing:

(fresh_a @ Oct 8 2005, 11:41 AM)

"I have, but, if you've been there before, you know it's the place that NEVER changes. Same staff. Same foie gras, steak/poulet roti, pyramidal pomme frites, and selection of fruit for dessert. Same huge bill. Same American tourist-trap (at times).

merci! i go every time in paris. to me, it is the quintessential bistro. yes, the perfection of the samesness is what draws me back. the amazing high prices keeps out a lot of tourists, so the clientele is "normally" comprised of many french regulars, many celeb regulars, & many wealthy american regulars which signify frequent visits to paris, not the 1-timers (generally speaking, of course). the 1-timers i know who have gone generally do NOT like the place: too rude, too brusque, too expensive. hopefully, L'Ami Louis will keep there sameness!!!

-you like your food to be simple

In my book roast chicken, fries and fruit for dessert are simple food.  Is there any dispute about this?

-you like huge portions

jennahan made the same point:  "The one thing that did strike me was the portions were very un-French (i.e., HUGE)."  Is there any dispute that the portions are huge?

-rudeness does not bother you(we all know about the parisians,right?)

As you said:

the 1-timers i know who have gone generally do NOT like the place: too rude, too brusque, too expensive. hopefully, L'Ami Louis will keep there sameness!!!

Pierre's tongue-in-cheek comment about all Parisians is obvious if you have read any of his other posts.

-tables close to each other brings intimacy

I have never been to this place, but in the photos I have seen, the tables appear to be close together, more so than in most restaurants in the same price range.  Is there a dispute that the tables are close together?  Part of the bistro experience is the intimacy that comes from dining in tighter quarters.

-you are impressed to be in a famous restaurant

-you feel great to be across perhaps from a celebrity.

-you are rich or hope to be one

-loud voices from fellow americans makes you feel at home

These last four are related (and this has become too long.  As you put it:

all tables were filled with either "celebs" (kevin kline, omar shariff, models, etc...) & what appeared to be french-speaking regulars.

don't misinterpret me - IT IS AMAZINGLY EXPENSIVE - IT CAN BE BRUSQUE - RESERVATIONS CAN BE SENSITIVE!!!

the amazing high prices keeps out a lot of tourists, so the clientele is "normally" comprised of many french regulars, many celeb regulars, & many wealthy american regulars which signify frequent visits to paris

Pierre's other post also noted that a review praised the quality of the ingredients.  He states he enjoyed the place but thinks the prices are too high.  Obviously, he knows the prices since he has seen the menu, and there seems to be no disagreement that the place is very expensive for what it is.  I don't think there is much disagreement concerning what kind of place L'Ami Louis is.  The only question is whether it is the type of place one enjoys.  Some do and some don't.  We all understand that you do.

The problem I had with your "out-of-line post" is that it was crude and a personal attack on Pierre.

(Edited to try to separate the quotes out.  Will I ever learn how to use the quote feature on this thing?)

very well said!

and without caps lock or smilies on every line too :smile:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I love to see the passion about food, but let's wave the white flag and take a deep breath

gallery_30892_1907_62325.jpg

Thanks molto e. Good to see what "expensive" means. Ouch! But then, if you have to ask... :smile:

edited to add: And if the food is well prepared using good ingredients, I would then turn back to Margaret Pilgrim's general, but perhaps even more so in this case, very apt advice regarding "knowing yourself" and what would make a successful and/or memorable dining experience for yourself.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Please click here to see my full post with photography: HERE

l’Ami Louis opened in 1924. It has not changed since.

The original owner was maître rôtisseur, Antoine Magnin. Easily identifiable by the red bandana that was always tied around his neck, he ran the restaurant up until 1986, when at the age of eighty-five, he sold the business to Thierry de la Brosse and Louis Gadby, the latter previously a waiter there. Under the terms of the sale, Magnin remained in the kitchen after the exchange, to be assisted by the sous chef who had been at his side for eighteen years already. However, a year on, in November 1987, he was obliged to check into a Paris clinic for health reasons; a week later he passed away. De la Brosse, who is also co-owner of Aux Lyonnais with Alain Ducasse and who has been a regular at l’Ami Louis since he was seventeen years old, later said that ‘it took me about three years to convince him that I would be a good candidate to carry on his tradition’. He also let slip that the late, great roaster had two real loves in his life, ‘cooking and women, especially American women’.

In the 1930s, l’Ami Louis was one of the most famous restaurants in the city, serving, it is claimed, more game, especially ortolons and bécasses, than anywhere else in Paris, as well as a hundred lobsters every day. During the Second World War, it is rumoured to have been a clandestine retreat, but today it is the haunt of celebrities and American tourists; and is supposedly a favourite of former US president Bill Clinton who was introduced to it by former French president Jacques Chirac during a 1999 visit. In fact, Chirac was a regular customer whilst mayor of the city. Even Mikhail Gorbachev has made it here. General sentiment towards the restaurant remains split: plenty criticise its high prices and the type of clientele it tends to attract, but plenty also applaud the quality of the food. In October 1997, le Figaro concluded in its ‘notre classement des meilleurs poulets rôtis’ survey that l’Ami Louis had the best roast chicken in the capital. There is also an anecdote wherein a Michelin inspector is to have told Magnin that the inadequacy of access to the eatery’s bathrooms was all that was holding it back from winning any stars; in reply, Antoine asked, less delicately than put here, whether people go to a restaurant to eat or to go to the loo.

Sitting in essentially an alley in the less than fancy third, l’Ami Louis is a testament to pre-war Paris. Simple shop front of dark, lacquered wood and sign-printed windows, semi-swathed in red-checked curtains, obscure a museum-like interior. Blotchy rusty-auburn walls, lined with coat pegs beneath shelves that run along the long walls on either side of the narrow dining area, are littered with port-hole shaped mirrors and black-and-white prints. On the far side, a large fresh fruit stand stands in front of a telephone booth and across from the bar/prepping station. The tiny, cramped kitchen is hidden behind these. Half-way into the room, a stainless steel stove pipe, running off an antique oven fireplace, runs across and then out the ceiling. Salmon pink and flower-embroidered linen is laid over square tables that are tightly set either side of a central aisle, the Escher-ish patterned tiles of which have been worn away by waiters’ walk. Bright bulbs shed a distinctly artificial light. The crockery is Apilco. The décor is shabby, but purposely so. Larger-than-life waiters, dressed in white jackets, are led by the biggest of them all, part-owner Louis.

The carte is crammed full of classics: scallops, snails and duck confit starters precede plats principal such as agneau de lait and côte de veau. I decided to order the two dishes that the restaurant is arguably most famous for, the foie gras followed by the roast chicken.

Entrée: Foie Gras de Landes. Three bricks of thick, house-made foie gras from Landes were teamed with a tower of toasted baguette slices and block of unsalted butter. Each pinkish slab of pâté came skirted and streaked with yellow fat. Firm at first, the foie, having begun melting once upon the hot toast, became creamy and soft on the tongue. The taste was rich and indulgent yet surprising light and clean. The portion was realistically just enough for me two three and though I had resentfully decided to relinquish my dish half-way through (coincidentally at the same time as the bread had cooled and butter depleted), the production of another plate of fresh-grilled baguettea forced me to reconsider…

Plat Principal: Poulet Rôti (entier). One whole, wood-oven roasted Coucou de Rennes, peppered with watercress, came in the cocotte it had been cooked in; a mountain of matchstick frites followed. Before I saw it, I heard its sizzle; before I heard its sizzle, I smelt it. The bird was a beast. I have seen bigger, but never been served one – however, when a single breast is sufficient to fill one’s plate, there is no reason to complain. The skin crackled; its meat was succulent and juicy with real flavour; and the gravy was rich, hot and delicious. My only disappointment was that the innards were overdone and thus inedible – the liver literally became a biscuit.

The chicken, roasted in l’Ami Louis’ famous wood-fired stove that is still intact but now encased in stainless steel, was first coated in butter then finished in goose fat before being cooked at a very high heat on a rotisserie. This specific breed is an ancient Breton one that almost disappeared just twenty years earlier. One hundred years ago, the Coucou was winning awards for its quality, but slow-growing, it had been slowly neglected mid-century in favour of more competitive, meat-producing breeds. In 1988, a few of the last surviving specimens were adopted by the ecological museum in Rennes and the race saved from extinction. It is now an AOC-protected species, raised free-range and organically.

The shoestring chips that accompanied it were fairly crunchy, but a touch greasy and ought to have been warmer. That being said, once dipped in the jus rôti, they become more than palatable. I was just about coping when the infamous galette de l’Ami Louis arrived unannounced. In this unadulterated rendition of pommes Anna that the restaurant has made it own, Desirée potatoes are steamed and fried, before being baked with goose fat and butter and garnished with raw garlic, chopped parsley and a little black pepper. Its crisp, golden coat concealed piping hot, creamy centre. This ‘cake’ was so good it almost made me regret every bite of foie gras and each skinny fry, which at this point only seemed to prevent me eating more of this utterly tasty dish.

Shamefully, not only was half the galette left behind, but half that considerable chicken. ‘Waste not, want not,’ as they say – I had the leftovers à emporter. For the record, a couple of days later, the remaining breast made an excellent snack meal, still full of savour.

Forgive me, but for the first time in fifty-plus meals, I was forced to forgo dessert…

Let me point out first that just two dishes are a flaky foundation upon which to build a solid judgement of any restaurant, but indulge me whilst I at least share some of my thoughts. The cuisine here is easily described: excellent, often humble, ingredients cooked consummately and served generously. It is old-fashioned, country-style food, the sort that your grandmother would love to prepare for you if you only took the time to visit her – provided she were French (but then she would be one’s grandmère) and that possibly she lived in a village. All such technicalities aside, it is hard to argue (and resist) a good roast chicken. It is simply one of cooking’s most classic pleasures. Indeed, in this respect, I found l’Ami Louis hard to fault – the quality of the bird, its plumpness, tenderness, its taste and texture were great. The galette was gorgeous; foie gras very good; although the chips were a minor marring. Normally, prices are not a subject I dwell on (and even that is an exaggeration), however, it would be difficult to mention l’Ami Louis without mentioning what it charges. Needless to say, prices are dear and evaluated on a dish-by-dish basis, they are difficult to excuse. Although, if a group of two or three were to order how I did, I am certain they would be left neither hungry nor bitter with the bill.

The staff, though interaction between us was rather limited, came across as friendly, patient and attentive. Superficially sluggish (these were big guys), they were quick to scurry across the dining room at the slightest hint that I was going to serve myself more chicken whilst freshly toasted bread for my foie gras arrived without me needing to ask for it. They also, midway through the meal, surprised me with a date-stamped menu as a souvenir; I am not sure whether this is usual practice, but it was a nice gesture nonetheless.

With regards to the atmosphere, I may have missed out on the notorious l’Ami Louis experience. Arriving for an early Sunday lunch, the restaurant had only two other tables taken besides mine; both by French couples. No tourists and no noise; no hustle and no bustle. Some would think it a disappointment, some a blessing, but personally I am probably equally happy with either scenario provided that the food is toothsome and service of good standard.

Reading the glowing remarks of better authorities than myself – it was beloved by the late R.W. Apple, still is by Thomas Keller and Ruth Rogers; highly recommended by Patricia Wells; and where Simon Hopkinson would want his last meal – is enough to convince one of the merits of l’Ami Louis, but the question stands whether I would return.

The answer is most likely no. However, there is something so attractive about the rustic excess and heartiness of it that it is hard to ignore. If I were to return, I reckon it would be for another Sunday lunch, but certainly not alone.

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

Hi,

The cuisine here is easily described: excellent, often humble, ingredients cooked consummately and served generously. It is old-fashioned, country-style food, the sort that your grandmother would love to prepare for you if you only took the time to visit her – provided she were French (but then she would be one’s grandmère) and that possibly she lived in a village. All such technicalities aside, it is hard to argue (and resist) a good roast chicken. It is simply one of cooking’s most classic pleasures. Indeed, in this respect, I found l’Ami Louis hard to fault – the quality of the bird, its plumpness, tenderness, its taste and texture were great. The galette was gorgeous; foie gras very good; although the chips were a minor marring. Normally, prices are not a subject I dwell on (and even that is an exaggeration), however, it would be difficult to mention l’Ami Louis without mentioning what it charges. Needless to say, prices are dear and evaluated on a dish-by-dish basis, they are difficult to excuse. Although, if a group of two or three were to order how I did, I am certain they would be left neither hungry nor bitter with the bill.

A very good description of L'ami Louis.EXcellent ingredients ,cooked simply at exorbitant prices .I guess you have a market for anything

I hear that a lot about l'Ami Louis, and I have no opinion as I haven't been yet. But those prices are only absurd if you can have the same food for less. So mu question is: can you have the same for less? Quite frankly, 78e for a quality whole roast chicken looks like a pretty fair price to me. The coucou de Rennes itself would already cost almot half of that, retail price.

It's expensive- but like a lot of places, you pay for the experience. The food is stuff you could do at home if you were a little apt and had top quality products. But it is a pretty amazing, time-warp bistro of the kind that don't really exist anymore, and eating next to Clinton or Spielberg has its cachet...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

It's expensive- but like a lot of places, you pay for the experience. The food is stuff you could do at home if you were a little apt and had top quality products. But it is a pretty amazing, time-warp bistro of the kind that don't really exist anymore, and eating next to Clinton or Spielberg has its cachet...

I agree that you could eat at home like that and I have.

As to seating next to Clinton Or Spielberg(I have , in East Hampton sat next to Spielberg and his family).The experience does not mean that much to me.

Doesn't mean much to me either, I frequent the rich and famous daily... I was just trying to describe the restaurant ambience, not name-drop..

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

If the food is indeed stuff you can do at home, then it is indeed exuberant. But if the chicken is as they say, the best in town, then it is not stuff most people I know can do at home. Even Food Snob's description of how it is cooked shows clearly that it is not stuff most people can do at home.

Well, I haven't been in yars, but I do recall that the chicken was very good and the potato galette superb. That said, my own local rotisseur's chicken is only a peg below and 1/10th the price and I don't have to hear Americans bragging about just discovering the place. As for the galette, M. Constant does a pretty mean one at his Cafe. L'Ami was fun in 1968, now, like Maxim's, it's a museum.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

What I meant was good products cooked simply I guess..

blog

If the food is indeed stuff you can do at home, then it is indeed exuberant. But if the chicken is as they say, the best in town, then it is not stuff most people I know can do at home. Even Food Snob's description of how it is cooked shows clearly that it is not stuff most people can do at home.

Well, I haven't been in yars, but I do recall that the chicken was very good and the potato galette superb. That said, my own local rotisseur's chicken is only a peg below and 1/10th the price and I don't have to hear Americans bragging about just discovering the place. As for the galette, M. Constant does a pretty mean one at his Cafe. L'Ami was fun in 1968, now, like Maxim's, it's a museum.

We can bring bragging Americans to your place -- you've but to ask. :rolleyes: