• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raoul's

SobaAddict70

I enjoyed Raoul's more on the earlier, foodless visit. While you have to love this restaurant for those chalkboards, you don't have to love it for the quark ravioli. They were to truffle oil what the waters off Alaska were to the cargo of the Exxon Valdez: the befouled recipient of too much of it.
With the exception of a few discordant frills, like an appetizer of "tomato salad three ways," one being a tomato sorbet, Raoul's doesn't throw curveballs at, or challenge, its patrons.

Raoul's (Frank Bruni)

Click here for archived discussion regarding Raoul's during 2002.

Related discussion regarding Mr. Bruni's style of reviewing and the star system can be found here.

Soba

I enjoyed Raoul's more on the earlier, foodless visit. While you have to love this restaurant for those chalkboards, you don't have to love it for the quark ravioli. They were to truffle oil what the waters off Alaska were to the cargo of the Exxon Valdez: the befouled recipient of too much of it.
With the exception of a few discordant frills, like an appetizer of "tomato salad three ways," one being a tomato sorbet, Raoul's doesn't throw curveballs at, or challenge, its patrons.

Raoul's (Frank Bruni)

Click here for archived discussion regarding Raoul's during 2002.

Related discussion regarding Mr. Bruni's style of reviewing and the star system can be found here.

Soba

not sure what question you are asking, but raoul's is a relic, a throwback to when celebs could be found at the bar & in the back. the food may or may not have been good, but no one, in these crowds, seemed to care. as time passed, the celebs left, the owners abdicated, the tourists set in, the neighborhood visited, but limitly (sic?) due to the high prices.

raoul's is now simply a very american bistro which used to be "in", but is not just 1 more hi-priced place to have a drink before going somewhere else to eat. but if you like hi-priced, over-rated tourists traps by these 2 brothers, try seppi's, named for their father, in the parker meridian, which they sold to the current chef. even the people that work there agree it is over-priced :huh:

Edited by jgould (log)

Those were excerpts from the article, I believe. :wink:

I just report things as I see them. If it wasn't clear and I apologize for that, along with my regular site duties, I am responsible for a weekly DIGEST of the New York Times. (I know I haven't been keeping up to date, but that's neither here nor there.)

Raoul's may be a relic, true. A better question to ask is whether a Diner's Journal should have been devoted to the restaurant, but alas this isn't the thread for that.

Those were excerpts from the article, I believe.  :wink:

I just report things as I see them.

Raoul's may be a relic, true.  A better question to ask is whether a Diner's Journal should have been devoted to the restaurant, but alas this isn't the thread for that.

reread my post above, edited as u were responding :biggrin:

note: i understand u are simply the messenger. &, as an aside, i like to see places like this re-visited.

hmm...I live in the hood...and Raoul's has made a bit of a comeback...it really is a bit of a local hangout during the week (with the odd celeb sighting or two).

sometimes these places (like say, Pravda)...if they stay in business long enough go from hip to primarily bridge and tunnel to local, semi-hip all over again.

agreed that the food is so-so and overpriced for what it is.

I have never been there, but I have met the wine director and he knows his stuff, and his calvados.

X, u have "hit the nail on the head" maybe without knowing it. although the wines are overpriced (so what else is new - see wine thread), the main, if not the only reasons to continue to go, ARE the bar, the bartender, & the calvados :biggrin:

as to bruni's review, sort of a typical bruni in that he just doesn't have the gravitas, eloquence, nor the "feel" for reviewing PERIOD. this "diner's journal" raoul's review is a perfect example. any one who knows the raouls knows the french-written chalkboards is a gimmick, bruni is so unsophisticated he is as fooled as a 1st-time visitor from idaho. even the pressed-tin ceiling that so impresses, was there PRIOR to raoul's!!

besides the over-priced lamb chops, he pans everything else. their "frisée salade aux lardons" is a joke, & somehow, he still falls for the "retro charm"!!!

note the picture - what do u notice? table filled with young wall street types making too much for their age, & spending it. wonder if its expense account? not knocking the young wall streeters, but "been there, done that" WHEN raoul's was a destination. the girl, btw, fits right in with the typecast.

i would love to see ruth, bryan, or william return & provide Times' readers the quality they deserve.

• 9 months later...

Although overpriced the meal I had was memorable. I started with the Beluga caviar, probably some of the last I or anyone else in America will have for a while. Next was the Seared Foie with mustard, cocoa nibs, and cassis puree the cocoa nibs worked surprisingly well with the Foie my only complaint was that the dish was served luke warm. I was then brought a comped dish of there signature ricotta gnocchi with braised oxtail and English peas, in concept the dish could work but I found the peas to overpower the dish and make it taste to “green”. I finished up with the Wagyu (yes the properly call it Wagyu not Kobe) Duo Short rib and Sirloin with a carrot puree, well they know how to cook there meat here the Sirloin was a perfect rare –plus and the short ribs where fork tender. A simple dish but great ingredients and a good chef equal a great dish. This was all complimented by more wine then I can remember at one point there where 4-5 glasses in front of me it helps to be good friends with the sommelier (thanks Robert).