• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tennessee BBQ

HungryChris

On a recent trip to Tennessee we booked an afternoon return flight in the

hope of finding some Tennessee BBQ on our way from Bulls Gap to Knoxville.

A little searching turned up a place called Buddys so we penciled this place

into our plans. On the last day we got off the highway (40 W) at exit 407

to check out a large flea market. We decided to take the smaller roads

into Knoxville to see what we could of the country. We were on RT 70

when I spotted this place.

gallery_1900_1859_74333.jpg

When you see this kind of thing you just know there is a kindred spirit in there.

You just do!

gallery_1900_1859_172083.jpg

gallery_1900_1859_84315.jpg

I turned around to take a picture or two and it broke my heart to leave without checking it out, but I think the look of the place kind of frightened Deb and she had Buddys BBQ on the agenda so off we went. We found Buddys to be a fast food place in a little gas station / mini strip mall and there wasn't a hint of smoke or BBQ aroma to be had outside. When I heard Deb say "We can't eat here, we have to go back!", I think I may have had a tear in my eye and I'm pretty sure I heard a quick chorus of Hallelujah sung from somewhere out of sight. Back we went!

gallery_1900_1859_192919.jpg

We opted for a rib sandwich, a BBQ pork sandwich and a side of slaw and something called tomato dumpling which we were told was a rich tomato stew with dumplings. We were curious.

gallery_1900_1859_654048.jpg

The tomato dumpling was just as reported and nothing more. The ribs came with mild, hot or extra hot sauce and we (I) chose the hot. They had been slow cooked long enough so that you could have eaten the bones and I was tempted to. I loved the spicy tomato based sauce in a way that doesn't happen very often and it still haunts me that I didn't buy some to take home. The pork sandwich was one of the most tender and flavorful I have ever had. I happily spooned some of the sauce from the ribs on for a bit more kick. The slaw was so good that I could have made a meal of it alone. This was a really wonderful find that has not gone unnoticed by the students at the nearby U of Tennessee, based on the crowd that moved in as we were there. I had hoped to chat with the couple in charge, but they got pretty busy and we had a plane to catch. If I had it to do again, I would have gotten bigger sandwiches and two for the plane ride along with some sauce to take home. I must go back!

Cheers,

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

What I liked about the place was the Philadelphia influence - both a hog hoagie with sliced pork and a Texas Cheesesteak with smoked brisket. I also want to get back and try the tomato dumplings.

Smokehouse BBQ and Sub Shop at HollyEats.Com

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

holly, good call on smokin' ed's. next time you're in middle tn or alabama, you should look up whitt's.

also as an fyi: jim n' nick's is opening their second location in nashville this month. the first is off charlotte pike and the new one is on the sam ridley parkway in smyrna.

only two more weeks until the jack daniel's world bbq championship in lynchburg...w00t!

Chris when we were in Knoxville back in June we also passed a Buddies BBq on Rt 75 maybe. It didnt look like nirvana and it wasnt really mealtime so we went on. on the last day of our trip we went to a BBq with 18,000 of our closest friends, and lo and behold

gallery_23695_426_429843.jpg

gallery_23695_426_18292.jpg

gallery_23695_426_518778.jpg

gallery_23695_426_26919.jpg

gallery_23695_426_596973.jpg

gallery_23695_426_239403.jpg

Now you're just going to have to try both next time, but what I really need to find next June is Spooky's also in Knoxville

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Chris,

Though I live in Knoxville, I don't get up that way much and hadn't eaten there before so I drove up today and checked it out. I got the pulled pork and it was good enough -- though what I had didn't have much bark in it. But the Q itself was no better than Buddy's (Buddy's is a local chain and really does pit smoke it's Q, but not every store has it's own smoker). The sauce was quite good, and better than Buddy's.

Kevin

Kevin

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. -- Mark Twain

Visit my blog at Seriously Good.

Hey Kevin

There is a place called Spooky's that I read about but the concierge steared us to Calhouns because it was close, nice but a different experience I am sure. I keep finding different adresses for Spooky's and we never did venture over there.

Have you ever been and do you think sometime before June you could get me directions there from the Marriott. We will be returning as part of the Honda Hoot invasion to ride Deals Gap and eat BBQ :cool:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hey Kevin

There is a place called Spooky's that I read about but the concierge steared us to Calhouns because it was close, nice but a different experience I am sure. I keep finding different adresses for Spooky's and we never did venture over there.

Have you ever been and do you think sometime before June you could get me directions there from the Marriott. We will be returning as part of the Honda Hoot invasion to ride Deals Gap and eat BBQ :cool:

Tracie,

Calhouns isn't very good, IMO. I'll check out Spooky's (there's a new location near me) and get back to you.

Kevin

Kevin

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside. -- Mark Twain

Visit my blog at Seriously Good.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the answer for what you need. Great BBQ, don't go to Whitt's, it is a chain. You need to go to a little place called West Side Ribs in Franklin, TN just south of nashville about 20 min on old Highway 96. You could take the Natchez Trace from Bellevue (which is west Nashville).

I have the answer for what you need.  Great BBQ, don't go to Whitt's, it is a chain.  You need to go to a little place called West Side Ribs in Franklin, TN just south of nashville about 20 min on old Highway 96.  You could take the Natchez Trace from Bellevue (which is west Nashville).

west side ribs has been closed for a while (almost 4 years).......its now BB's BBQ. I would also encourage any of y'all to come out to my bbq joint I'm opening in Nolensville (15 miles southeast of Nashville). We'll be opening in about 3 weeks. It will be cooked every day fresh.....shoulders, briskets, etc..

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!